5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2010 11:15 AM by bwil746

Identical Adobe problem on 2 PCs, 2 different OS's

bwil746

I have an HP Laptop running XP that was running Adobe reader 7 and working just fine.  It developed a problem that when I tried to open a pdf file in an email or on a web page, instead of opening the file, it would only give me an option to store it on my hard drive.  I tried to do the repair but it did not fix the problem, so I uninstalled it and installed version 9.2.  The same problem exists.  Still can't open a pdf file without first storing it.

I just bought a new HP desktop running Windows 7 and installed Adobe Reader 9.2 on it.  It has the exact same problem. To say the least, I am realllly frustrated.  Is this a configuration problem?  Is it a Windows problem?  I have no clue.  I do use a lot of pdf files and it is a royal pain to have to store every one of them before I can read them.  I am hoping this is some simple thing that I have totally overlooked. I have looked through Microsoft's Knowledgebase but haven't found anything that would suggest a Windows configuration issue.   Any suggestions?????

Thanks,

Brad

• 1. Re: Identical Adobe problem on 2 PCs, 2 different OS's
          pwillener Level 8

You forgot to mention what your email client is.

• 2. Re: Identical Adobe problem on 2 PCs, 2 different OS's
            bwil746 Level 1

...as in email address????  *******@yahoo.com

Is that what I needed to put in the post?  I just found this forum this afternoon so I apologize if I am not following the correct procedures.

Message was edited by Jochem van Dieten

• 3. Re: Identical Adobe problem on 2 PCs, 2 different OS's
              bwil746 Level 1

Oh, duh!  The email clients I use are yahoo, gmail, and outlook express. The problem is the same in all three.  I guess now every knows one of my email addresses.

• 4. Re: Identical Adobe problem on 2 PCs, 2 different OS's
                pwillener Level 8

Sorry for the confusion - I certainly would never ask anybody to publish their email address in a public forum!  Hopefully Yahoo has good spam filters...

I know of Outlook Express, but to the best of my knowledge, Yahoo and Gmail are mostly accessed via web mail in a web browser.

So do you access your Yahoo and Google accounts via Outlook Express, or via web browser?

And while we are at it: what web browser and version are you using?

• 5. Re: Identical Adobe problem on 2 PCs, 2 different OS's
                  bwil746 Level 1

I really appreciate your questions.  They are making me think through these

problems.  I guess I make a lot of assumptions.  I need to give you much more

specific info.

1)  I use Firefox browser on both PCs.   I get my Yahoo mail on the laptop and

desktop through Firefox.  Both exhibit the problem of not being able to open a

pdf file.

2)  For Gmail, I use ThunderBird (another Mozilla product).  However, when

accessing Gmail directly through the browser or through ThunderBird, the problem

exists.

3)  I launched Gmail through Internet Explorer, and pdf files would open up

normally.  So, at least part of the problem is with Mozilla.

4)  Outlook Express accessing regular old pop3 mail on an AT&T mail server,

still has the problem.

5)  I still have more homework to do.  There is obviously a Mozilla component to

the problem, but there is more to it than that.  At times, even pdf files on the

desktop want to be saved, again. It feels like there is a configuration setting

wrong, somewhere.

Thanks