3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2010 5:58 AM by Colin Brougham

r/w Quicktime on Win7-64 bit with 64-bit Premiere and AE?

FlashConfused

Does CS5 running in 64 bit (not using 32 bit CS4 version) on Win7-64 have the ability to read and write Quicktime files?

Is this for both CS5 64 bit Premiere and AE?

Does it work well?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: r/w Quicktime on Win7-64 bit with 64-bit Premiere and AE?
          Colin Brougham Level 6

Yep, you can do both. Works well enough for me; I regularly edit MOVs and am exporting to them frequently (Sorenson Squeeze seems to work better with MOVs versus AVIs) without incident. Others report problems or at the minimum, quirkiness, but I've had no such issues.

One thing to note is that QuickTime is still a 32-bit app and (as you're obviously aware) Premiere is a 64-bit app, so Adobe had to create a tunnel of sorts in order to enable QT support in Premiere (and AE, for that matter). As such, you may notice some performance differences, but that's a big "maybe" from my experience.

Try out the trial of CS5, if you haven't; QuickTime support is enabled in the trial.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: r/w Quicktime on Win7-64 bit with 64-bit Premiere and AE?
            FlashConfused Level 1

Colin - I read an Adobe pdf that seemed to indicate the ProRes would not be supported on 64 bit Win7 (with 64 bit Premiere or AE).

Do you know if this is the case?  I've got a lot of video formatted as ProRes HQ 422.    I thought that ProRes was included in Quicktime.

I may have to look into NeoHD and transcode, as I'm toying with moving all editing over to Premiere on Win7 due to Final Cut Pro messing with the gamma and colors in a way where I cannot generate output that matches my input.  Very frustrating.

Thanks!

• 3. Re: r/w Quicktime on Win7-64 bit with 64-bit Premiere and AE?
              Colin Brougham Level 6

ProRes decoding--that is, playback--is supported and available on Windows (all platforms). However, encoding to ProRes is not possible; this is not an Adobe limitation, but rather, an Apple limitation, as there is no ProRes encoder included or available for Windows. Any ProRes file that I've tried--SD or HD--has been usable in Premiere on Windows. I haven't tried the 4444 variety, but if the decoder is available, it'll playback. ProRes 422 HQ should be no problem, though.

Here's a screenshot of a ProRes 422 HQ clip successfully loaded into the Windows version of Premiere Pro CS5:

prores-in-ppro.png