9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2010 11:11 AM by rednival

Premiere Elements 7 won't render video

rednival

I cannot get Premiere Elements to finish rendering my video in AVI format.  I have tried multiple codecs.  I have done it on 2 computers with 4 gigs or RAM, and dual core processors made in the last 2-3 years.  One had Windows 7 and one had Windows Vista.  They both get to about 70-90% and then stop.  Windows Task Manager shows no CPU usage when this happens.  I usually give it 10-15 minutes and if no activity happens I kill it.  Is it normal for it to just hang on a random spot like this?  Maybe I need to give it more time, but it sure seems like it has stopped responding.

What can I do to fix this?  I could always try another format, but why won't this work?

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 7 won't render video
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I'm not sure what you mean when you say you've tried it on two different computers. That certainly makes it hard to troubleshoot, since there are so many variables.

Are ou talking about the same project file on two different computers? If so, how are you attempting to render the same file on two different computers?

Are you accessing the file on an external drive? A network?

You also say you have tried multiple codecs. I'm not sure what you mean by this. Multiple codecs of what? Multiple codecs of AVIs? There is only one codec -- the DV codec -- that works for source AVIs.

Can you please take us step by step through what you're doing? In particular, tell us where your video is coming from and how you got it into your computer -- and if it's on a drive other than your C drive.

If you can include a screen capture of what the file looks like on your timeline, that would also be helpful.

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 7 won't render video
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This is aimed at Premiere Pro, but may help
            Work through all of the steps (ideas) listed at http://ppro.wikia.com/wiki/Troubleshooting

If your problem isn't fixed after you follow all of the steps, report back with ALL OF THE DETAILS asked for in the FINALLY section, the questions at the end of the troubleshooting link... most especially the codec used... see Question 1

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 7 won't render video
              the_wine_snob Level 9

I assume that when you say "Render," you are referring to Export/Share. Is that correct?

Can you give us the exact settings that you have tried, and that have failed?

As Steve points out, the ideal Export/Share is DV-AVI, a particular flavor of AVI, with the DV/DVC CODEC. What other CODEC's are you trying?

This ARTICLE will give you some background on AVI as a "wrapper." This ARTICLE will give you some background on CODEC's.

Also, when answering the questions that have been posed, please pay special attention to the I/O sub-system of each computer, i.e. your HDD's, their size, speed, amount of free space, controller type and how you have these allocated on each computer.

It would be useful to get full details of your Project and also your source files.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 7 won't render video
                rednival Level 1

Video is all local.  I have copied the project folder and all video to the new computer and then pointed everything to the right paths. The reason I had to do this is because it wouldn't render on the original computer. The only computer that can render it is my work computer that has Windows 7, a core 2 duo and 6 gigs of RAM.

I moved it to my wife's laptop this morning using the same method that allowed me to render it at work.  I previewed the whole video.  It ran through from beginning to end without a problem.  All scenes, music, transitions were there.  So, moving the project worked. Again, all video was local.

As far as "codec", I used the wrong term.  I think "encoder" is what I am changing.  I pick the format, then click settings, and change the drop down to different AVI Encoders.  I only started changing this after my initial attempts to render failed, so I tried the defaults first.  In fact, I have tried the default settings no less than 3 times.  I also tried QuickTime H.264 and it had they actually failed with error messages that basically said "An Error Occurred" and that's it.

Below are screens of the problem when rendering AVI showing the rendering has stopped.  I also have uploaded my timeline.

screen01.png

screen02.png

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 7 won't render video
                  rednival Level 1

Both computers have a few hundred gigs of disk space available. Both are SATA hard drives. The computer with the original project and problem is a laptop with a new 7200 RPM drive. Wife's laptop is 5400 rpm.

It is a nine minute video broken into 3 parts. I have 4 video tracks (most have audio deleted). Then I have 4 audio tracks. Of course there are transitions between videos. Do you want the project (xml) file to look through?  I don't see how I could get you the entire 5gig or so project to you but I could try.

Also, all this video is in mp4 and captured by a Flip Ultra HD.

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 7 won't render video
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

That Project does not sound problematic, however the FLIP footage has caused issues for others in the past. Here is the Forum FAQ Entry on FLIP footage.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 7 won't render video
                      rednival Level 1

This post on Flip might explain my issues.  I haven't had near as many issues with Premiere Elements as I have this time, and this is the first time I've worked with Flip video.  I haven't brought up the other issues because I've managed to work around everything else, but the whole program has been unstable.  I am converting the video now.  Here's a question: I'm a developer and a bit of a hacker, so if I go in to the XML in the project and change all the video paths to point to these new converted video and delete the cached files, do you think the project will open or will it cuss at me because the format changed?  I am hoping I don't have to start over.  If there is a better way, let me know.

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 7 won't render video
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

As you have noted, that Path is but XML. Many have just used a Find/Replace on a COPY of their PREL to change/correct Paths, and other aspects. So long as you do not Save over your original PREL, all should go fine. At the very worst, you might need to locate a file or two (if they get missed), but PrE makes that Relinking pretty easy.

Good luck, and I hope that conversion handles all issues. When that has been taken care of, please post on the other issues, and we can attempt to help there.

Hunt

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 7 won't render video
                          rednival Level 1

Other issues were related to memory usage in Premiere. I am really starting to suspect this special encoder Flip uses is key to all my problems. But I'll definitely be in touch if issues persists after conversion to AVI-DV, which appears to be the preferred format.