7 Replies Latest reply: Aug 10, 2010 4:19 PM by jayKapp RSS

Unable to open .pdf files directly from the internet

katiegrnfld Community Member

Today when I was trying to open a .pdf - from within Firefox or Safari - I kept receiving the message: "The document “filename.pdf” could not be opened. Acrobat cannot open files in the “Adobe PDF document” format."  This is very frustrating, and I have been through the preferences for Acrobat Pro as well as Firefox.  Please help!!

Katie

Mac OS

Snow Leopard 10.6.4

Acrobat Pro 9.3.3

• 1. Re: Unable to open .pdf files directly from the internet
          MichaelKazlow ACP/MVPs

You need to use Safari to read pdf files directly from your browser. Firefox is not supported. To get things working in Safari, try repairing the installation of Acrobat from the Help menu.

• 2. Re: Unable to open .pdf files directly from the internet
            Phillip Jones Community Member

Adobe's PDF Viewer Plugin, only works with Safari and other web browsers using Webit. They have decided for what ever reason not to support any browsers that use the Gecko Rendering engine. FireFox, SeaMonkey, Camino and either Opera or OmniWeb.

Go to google and look up the PDF Browser Plugin, by Schubert from Germany. It works with Anything other than IE.

• 3. Re: Unable to open .pdf files directly from the internet

I didn't mean to actually view it in Firefox. I meant when I open it FROM a web browser:  I go to "Open

using Adobe Acrobat Pro" it pops up a window with the message: "The document “filename.pdf” could not be opened. Acrobat cannot open files in the “Adobe PDF document” format."  I am using the same sequence that I have always used.  The same thing happens when I am in Safari, and right-click the pdf and ask it to open it with Acrobat Pro.  This problem just started today and the only way I have found to get around it is to save it and open it from the finder window, or to go through "open" in the file menu of Acrobat.  Again, this just started happening, without me (knowingly) changing any settings, and using the same proceedures I have always used.

Thanks,

Katie

• 4. Re: Unable to open .pdf files directly from the internet
                Phillip Jones Community Member

Go to FireFox's Preferences > Browser > Helper applications

look for pdf. click on it and the click on button to right and choose either Reader, Acrobat, or anything that will open PDFs If you have PDFPen You can even use that.

• 5. Re: Unable to open .pdf files directly from the internet

I have done that, and after selecting Acrobat Pro - that is when I get the message.  Here is the sequence...

1.  I navigate to a page

Step1.jpg

2. I click the link to view a PDF, followed by this window

Step4.jpg

3. I click okay, followed by this message

step5.jpg

Hopefully this helps to explain it better than my words were

Thanks, Katie

• 6. Re: Unable to open .pdf files directly from the internet
                    jayKapp Community Member

I have a very similar issue only it happens to me after I have created a

pdf file from my scanner and then try to open it.  The dialog is the exact same. "The document “Conf Room.pdf” could not be opened. Acrobat cannot open files in the “Adobe PDF document” format".   The file at this point is in my hard drive and not on an email or internet web page.

What I can do is open Adobe Acrobat (9.3.3) find the file then choose it.  Then it will open.

This problem just happened when I switched scanners and got HP driver software made for OSX 10.6.  This has affected my ability to open all pdf files by double clicking them.  I wonder what settings changed in Acrobat??

Jay

• 7. Re: Unable to open .pdf files directly from the internet
                      jayKapp Community Member

Duh! I decided to quit and reopen Acrobat 9.3.3.  After that, everything worked again.

Jay