10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2010 10:45 AM by the_wine_snob

Wonder Why So Many Old Threads Have Shown Back Up?

the_wine_snob Level 9

Seems that we have a very active spammer at work, tagging their spam to older posts. When you encounter them, use the Report Abuse link, and choose "Spam" as the reason. The administration and MOD's have been busy trying to shut them down.

You can also post to this THREAD in the Forum Comments forum.

Let's try to keep our fora spam free.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 1. Re: Wonder Why So Many Old Threads Have Shown Back Up?
          shooternz Level 6

Only took ten years and 8 months but I am convinced...Its the Millenium Bug.

..then again it could be simply Jive

• 2. Re: Wonder Why So Many Old Threads Have Shown Back Up?
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

There was a spammer yesterday dredging up old threads as fast as mods could delete his posts. Admin (who was sick in bed and needs some backup -- mods can't kill an account) finally saw the reports and killed the acount so things should go back to "normal" pretty quickly.

• 3. Re: Wonder Why So Many Old Threads Have Shown Back Up?
              Level 4

how does that work ? What would I see ?

ohhh...is that why I see stuff like " 1 year ago " ...  how does that happen, as the last poster was someone responsible and didnt cause it to appear ?

• 4. Re: Wonder Why So Many Old Threads Have Shown Back Up?

Robodog,

When a spammer posts on an old thread it gets bumped to the top of the list. If the moderator then deletes the spam post you won't see it if you go to the thread after the deletion, but the postion in the list isn't altered to send it back in time. You end up with a thread at the top with a last post from months or years ago. Nothing we can do...

• 5. Re: Wonder Why So Many Old Threads Have Shown Back Up?
                  Level 4

aha....thanks...next question if its OK....how did the admin identify an "account" responsible for the spam...in other words, is it an actual person with an account with a specific IP address that can be sorta "identified" in some way ?  did the spammer have a "name" like my " Robodog2 "  ??  and...was there a way to ping or trace the spammer to get a general "location" ??

• 6. Re: Wonder Why So Many Old Threads Have Shown Back Up?

In order to post you must register an account with a user name and email address. If identified as a source of spam, that account is disabled. I think it would be a mistake to discuss here all the tools that are available to fight spam on the forum.

• 7. Re: Wonder Why So Many Old Threads Have Shown Back Up?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                      mods can't kill an accoun

Peter,

Thank you. That explains a lot. I assumed that it might have just been the weekend. Now I know. I did pick up that MOD's everywhere were zapping the posts, but now I know "the rest of the story."

That spammer went to new threads later in the day. I followed them for a bit, and did a Report Abuse on what ended up being 65 posts. Every time that I felt caught up, they'ed be three new ones!

At leas Adobe Admin. knows who, so when possible, it should be easy to "punch his ticket."

Your response is appreciated.

Hunt

• 8. Re: Wonder Why So Many Old Threads Have Shown Back Up?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

To add a little (do not feel that I am doing a Wiki-leaks here), there is a THREAD in the Forum Comments forum, where users can post links to known, or suspected spam. That forum MOD will close the spam report thread, when he deems it full, and start another. Notice that this is # 4. From that thread, the MOD's can see the links to the suspected spam posts (not always easy to tell spam from someone posting a URL that they believe is helpful, or just adding their URL as a sig, and not thinking of the possible implications). If it ruled spam, then they can follow the links to that poster's Profile, and take appropriate action. It could be as simple as pointing out an issue via PM, or e-mail, to shutting down the Profile.

On another video forum, I work as a MOD, and our Webmaster keeps a master link of POP servers, that the spammers come from, so that it is more difficult to just set up a new Profile. Obviously, a dedicated spammer would just use a different POP server, get a new account, and start over. However, that forum is MUCH smaller than Adobe's, and there are about 12 MOD's, plus eagle-eyed subscribers, so that one seldom sees spam - it's blasted almost as soon as it is posted. It is so good, that I have only encountered one spammer in years, though others have 100 "notches in their guns!" Here, it is much more difficult, just given the number of subscribers, and the number of fora and sub-fora.

What caught my attention was that these "zombie" threads were showing up at the top of the list, but there were no new posts, and the "Updated" tag was absent. What was happening was that MOD's were removing the spam, so no "Updated" tag. I did not realize the mechanics of that tag, but now know more about it.

The Report Abuse link is also very useful, as it also lets Adobe Admin. know if issues. Those issues can be researched, and if correct, then appropriate action can be taken. Luckily, Adobe reviews the Report Abuse, or anyone could basically have posts removed at random.

As responsible subscribers, I feel that it is our job to help Adobe as much as we can - it's a very big forum out there, and when confronted with what looks like spam, or other offenses, Report Abuse, and for spam specifically, add links to that Forum Comments thread.

Well, that pretty much explains every thing that one of my "pay grade" knows.

Hunt

• 9. Re: Wonder Why So Many Old Threads Have Shown Back Up?

Hunt,

As I mentioned before, ordinary forum mods don't have the power to do anything except delete a post and pass the info further up the foodchain using our own reporting channels. I think the forum admin is probably subscribed to the other thread you mention, though, so that's an excellent place to report a spammer, and normally he hops right on any report he sees. Yesterday was not normal.

On the other hand, clicking the link to "report abuse" puts the post into the moderation queue where somebody has to deal with it (I'm over in ID, and we have practically no abuse reported, knock wood, but some of the other forums are a near constant flow). If the user is truly abusive in the sense that he is offensive or attacking another user, then this is entirely appropriate, but I would again urge forum participants not to use the abuse report system for reporting spammers multiple times. We really do pay attention to spam and kill accounts as fast as possible.

• 10. Re: Wonder Why So Many Old Threads Have Shown Back Up?
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Peter,

Thank you for that. I had been doing it wrong, and also urging other to do the same thing. I appreciate that clarification. Guess that I was creating more work, than was required. Sorry about that.

Appreciate your insight into the situation.

As that poster had been flagged at the profile level, much of what I did was not needed - only time for Adobe Admin. to heal.

All is probably good now. Looks like the spammer just chose the right moment (for them - not us) to strike.

Thanks,

Hunt