4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2010 12:10 AM by ShamanElfMedia

Effect Starting Point Question

ShamanElfMedia

I'm guessing there's an obvious answer I just can't seem to figure out.

In short:  I've changed the start point of a video clip to 10 seconds into the start of the clip.  When I play from zero on the timeline WITHOUT an effect enabled, the clip starts exactly at the in-point that I set.  If I enable an effect (it doesn't seem to matter what one it is), the clip now starts at the very beginning of the clip, ignoring my edited start point of 10 seconds in.

The 10 second in-point has been dragged to the left of the timeline, and the workspace starts at zero.  Even when I apply something as simple as Hue/Saturation the same thing happens...once the effect is applied, when I click to play the clip, even though my 10 second in-point is showing at zero, the clip now plays from the very beginning of the clip instead.

Thanks in advance,

Keith

• 1. Re: Effect Starting Point Question
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You are viewing it in the layer viewer, most likely, not the comp viewer...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Effect Starting Point Question
            ShamanElfMedia Level 1

Mylenium,

I wish that was it, but whether I'm looking at the "Composition: My Comp" tab in viewer or "Layer: My Comp" tab, the same issue actually happens. I've tried letting it play through once, I've clicked every setting I can think of, but still with the same result:  As soon as I apply and effect, even though the clip has a starting point of 10 seconds in, when I press Play, it starts at the beginning of the clip rather than the edit point.

Even if I click the "fx" switch on and off, the moment I click the switch to "Off", the clip jumps to the 10-second start point.  As soon as I click the "fx" switch to "On" the Comp view instanty switches, with the Hue applied, to the very beginning of the clip.

I can post a short video if that will help viusualize what's happening in case I'm not explaining it clearly enough.

Keith

• 3. Re: Effect Starting Point Question
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Anything going on with temporal effects like Echo? Time remapping/ Time stretching enabled? If not, the behavior could indicate a problem with OpenGL accelerated effects processing and your card not being up to snuff, so try and turn off OpenGL in the prefs.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Effect Starting Point Question
                ShamanElfMedia Level 1

Mylenium,

Duh! - I knew it had to be something simple.  After turning off all Open GL options and the problem didn't go away, I re-checked, yet again, my "Effect Controls" panel, and sure enough...there was a "Timewarp 2" instance that hadn't been deleted, and the speed was at 20.

Proof again that sometimes it just take a little different perspective to see the obvious.

Thanks!

- Keith