16 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2010 5:51 PM by the_wine_snob

Problem converting project into DVD

bob-hal

My video looks great in my Elements project, but when I convert it into a DVD, the video and audio don't match up.  At the beginning, there are several frames that are the same (a power point slide), and it looks like it is eliminating those and moving the video forward.  I've tried reducing the length of the video, with the same results. I have also saved it as an avi with the same results.

I rebooted my pc thinking that might be the problem - same results.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Penny

• 1. Re: Problem converting project into DVD
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Penny,

Can you provide a bit more info on your Project?

What are the pixel x pixel dimensions and the format of the PP slides?

What is the Audio format/CODEC?

Can you possibly post a screen-cap of your Timeline, showing the slides, that Audio and the Video, and your Menu & Chapter Markers?

Also, how are you authoring to DVD?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Problem converting project into DVD
            bob-hal Level 1

Hi, Bill -

Thanks for your quick reply.

The whole thing started as a .wmv file - a screen capture from a GoToWebinar meeting. I converted that file into an avi using Prism Video Converter software so I could edit it slightly in Premier Elements. Apparently Elements does not allow work with wmv files, and I don't know how to edit that format and then convert it into a flv file and then DVD.

At this point, when I view it in Elements, it looks great. I don't have any markers, and am using one of the templates for DVD - the Aquarium I think it is.

I am just using the settings in Elements to convert it to DVD. The video is 1 hr 34 min long, so I have tried putting it on 1 disc and just triend splitting it into 2 discs. But the same thing happens.

Thanks,

Penny

• 3. Re: Problem converting project into DVD
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Penny,

PrE will work with most WMV's, but they require a great deal of processing power. I also convert all to DV-AVI (use another program, but Prism gets very high marks here, so should be good). That speeds things up, though there is a quality hit, as the WVM's are pretty heavily compressed. Just like starting with MPEG-2's, I try to stay away from using them, but obviously, there are times, that one cannot do that, and get back to an original file, prior to the WMV Export.

Now, I see a comment on FLV.

Apparently Elements does not allow work with wmv files, and I don't know how to edit that format and then convert it into a flv file and then DVD.

How does FLV figure into this, or does it not?

Now, if I follow, you did a video screen-cap that generated a WMV, and then you converted that to DV-AVI with Prism. It is from this DV-AVI, that Frames are disappearing, or did I miss something important?

In the authoring phase, you are using the Aquarium Menu Set, but only have a Play All. Is that correct?

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Problem converting project into DVD
                bob-hal Level 1

Howdy -

You have everything correct.

The flv file is so I can post it online.  This is the mess I got: http://www.thequiltingcoach.com/public/812.cfm?sd=64 (I thought it was right when I posted it.)

And the DVD is looking the same.

I do put the DVD menu in but with no markers.

When I opened the wmv file in Elements, there was audio but no video.  It plays fine on my pc as a wmv.  That was when I figured I had to convert it into something different.

Thanks,

Penny

• 5. Re: Problem converting project into DVD
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Penny,

I think that I see the "jump," that you are seeing, as the FLV starts into what I would perceive as the body, and then jumps into the WMV. The quality of the Video is probably due to having gone to WMV to begin with, as it is a highly-compressed streaming media format, and is not meant to be edited. Conversion will allow one to more smoothly edit, BUT the quality hit will have already taken place and there is nothing that can be done to regain that quality loss.

Now, as for the DVD, a screen-cap of the Timeline might be very useful to finding out what is happening with your first few Titles. Am I correct that those Titles are actually in your Video file, and are not Titles added in PrE? If necessary, this ARTICLE might prove useful.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Problem converting project into DVD
                    bob-hal Level 1

Yes, the titles are part of the wmv file.  I've now posted the original wmv

file: http://www.thequiltingcoach.com/public/812.cfm?sd=64

The only editing I wanted to do was to delete the first 15 minutes. I didn't have the sound turned on for the participants in the webinar, so I had to repeat it.

Plus I want to add titles for the DVD.

I'll get a screen capture of the timeline - how much do you need and how spread out should it be?

Thanks,

Penny

• 7. Re: Problem converting project into DVD
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Penny,

I'll download the WMV later.

As for the screen-caps, I'd definitely show the beginning of the Timeline. Also, maybe a screen-cap with the Menus would be useful too.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Problem converting project into DVD
                        bob-hal Level 1

Will do - I'm late for my mom's for dinner. I'll send them on when I get back.

Thank you so much!

Penny

• 9. Re: Problem converting project into DVD
                          bob-hal Level 1

menu.png

I've included a few screen captures. Two of the timeline. One is at the beginning, I've marked the second one where the powerpoint slide ends and the other software starts. The third one is the menu.  I'm wondering whether it has anything to do with the fact that I was moving from one application to another during my webinar?

Thankstimeline.png

timeline2.png

Penny

• 10. Re: Problem converting project into DVD
                            bob-hal Level 1

Greetings -

I finally got it.  I took the wmv file from GoToMeeting, ran it through Microsoft Expressions to strip whatever, then converted it to an mpg using Prism, and then opened it up in Premier Elements, edited it and then converted it into a DVD.

Lots of steps, but the final looks great.

Thank you so much for your time and ideas.

Penny

• 11. Re: Problem converting project into DVD
                              the_wine_snob Level 9
                              Lots of steps, but the final looks great.

Great news! Glad that you got it running and thanks for reporting your success.

In the workflow, next time, when you take the WMV into Prism, try converting to DV-AVI Type II, instead of MPEG-2, and Importing that AVI into PrE. That should strip out any controls in the WMV and should also save one compression step. You have one, with the WMV from your capture program, another when you go to MPEG-2, and then a third, when you Transcode to DVD. By eliminating the WMV to MPEG-2 compression, you should see an improvement in the final output.

Good luck, and thank you for providing all of the info on the issue.

Hunt

• 12. Re: Problem converting project into DVD
                                bob-hal Level 1

Thanks. If I understand, that would eliminate the Microsoft Expressions step?

I'm all for that, and have another opportunity for success on Wednesday when I have a webinar scheduled. Turns out not that many people are putting these files on DVD, they're just using them online - leaving money on the table, I think.

I love Elements - it is so easy to use, and am so happy to be able to get these files in a format to use it for editing!

Thanks again,

Penny

• 13. Re: Problem converting project into DVD
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Penny,

My not knowing the software that you are using, I cannot tell you what might be possible, or what might be better.

Now, Steve Grisetti does video-capture tutorials, and I assume that he edits these a bit in PrE, prior to posting the finals. Maybe he, or others, will have some tips on a workflow that is more straight-forward, and can eliminate a step (especially a compressed step) for you.

Good luck, and happy authoring. I agree that offering the material on DVD is a good one.

Hunt

• 14. Re: Problem converting project into DVD
                                    bob-hal Level 1

Hunt -

Thanks and thank you again for helping.

Penny

-

Bill Hunt <forums@adobe.com> wrote:

Penny,

My not knowing the software that you are using, I cannot tell you what might be possible, or what might be better.

Now, Steve Grisetti does video-capture tutorials, and I assume that he edits these a bit in PrE, prior to posting the finals. Maybe he, or others, will have some tips on a workflow that is more straight-forward, and can eliminate a step (especially a compressed step) for you.

Good luck, and happy authoring. I agree that offering the material on DVD is a good one.

Hunt

>

• 15. Re: Problem converting project into DVD
                                      bob-hal Level 1

Hunt -

Thanks!  And thank you for all your help.

Penny

• 16. Re: Problem converting project into DVD
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Penny,

You are most welcome.

Happy editing,

Hunt