0 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2010 3:55 PM by elekwent

Inconsistencies between an MXML tag instance's properties and an Actionscript instance's properties

elekwent Level 1

Hi everyone!  I've been using the SDK for several months, but I've only been using Flash Builder for a few weeks.  I finished the Flex In a Week videos and exercises a few days ago, and since then I've been playing around with the accompanying exercises.

My question specifically refers to the PanelSkin.mxml file from 'Exercise 5.6: Creating custom skin properties'.  In this example, the function initTitleSkin() sets the 'headerSkinColor.color' property to a value passed from the main application:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<s:SparkSkin xmlns:fx="http://ns.adobe.com/mxml/2009"

xmlns:mx="library://ns.adobe.com/flex/mx"

xmlns:s="library://ns.adobe.com/flex/spark"

creationComplete="initTitleSkin()">

<s:states>

<s:State name="normal" />

<s:State name="disabled" />

</s:states>   

<fx:Metadata>

[HostComponent("components.EmployeePortalPanel")]

</fx:Metadata>

<fx:Script>

<![CDATA[

private function initTitleSkin():void

{

headerSkinColor.color = hostComponent.panelTitleColor;

}

]]>

</fx:Script>

<s:Rect radiusX="4" radiusY="4" height="100%" width="100%" >

<s:fill>

<mx:SolidColor id="panelSkin" color="#E8E8E8"/>

</s:fill>

</s:Rect>

<s:Path winding="nonZero" data="M 0.016 0.012 L 0.016 23.354 L 287.419 23.354 L 287.408 12.012 C 287.408 5.385 282.035 0.012 275.408 0.012 L 0.016 0.012 Z">

<s:fill>

<s:SolidColor id="headerSkinColor"/>

</s:fill>

</s:Path>

<s:Label id="titleDisplay" lineBreak="explicit" left="10" right="4" top="2" height="30" verticalAlign="middle" fontWeight="bold"/>

<s:Group id="contentGroup" top="23">

</s:Group>

</s:SparkSkin>

This code works just fine.  I tried extending this example by setting the 'titleDisplay.color' property in the same way.  The 'titleDisplay' is an instance of the Label class.

private function initTitleSkin():void

{

headerSkinColor.color = hostComponent.panelTitleColor;

titleDisplay.color = hostComponent.panelLabelColor;

}

The above code results in the error 'Access of possibly undefined property color through a reference with static type spark.components:Label'.

I set up the custom 'panelLabelColor' property and confirmed the 'hostComponent.panelLabelColor' property is being passed to the custom skin class correctly.  My question is, Why can I set the 'color' property in the MXML Label block, but not from the ActionScript instance.  The Language Reference shows the spark Label has a 'color' property.  Code Assist shows the 'color' property in the MXML block, but not in the ActionScript instance.  Am I missing something simple that's staring me right in the face?  I'm usually pretty good at that.  I'd appreciate any thoughts on this inconsistency.