17 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2016 1:12 PM by Peterpannny

Photo ease in - ease out for PE7?

friedkudzu

Hello,  is PE7 capable of easing in and easing out of photos?  I am not refering to fading in but easing in.  Meaning the still frame picture is still on screen but it slowly eases in towards the picture or slowly eases away from the picture.  Windows Movie Maker has this option and I was hoping PE7 did as well.  I have been trying for an hour to figure how to do it on here and I just can't find the answer.  Am I wasting my time or does PE7 actually have this option?  thank you

• 1. Re: Photo ease in - ease out for PE7?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

You can alter the position of stills (or video) over time with the fixed Effect>Motion>Position and the use of Keyframes. These are most easily applied and adjusted in the Effects Control Panel.

First choose Effect, then with the Clip/still Selected, choose Edit Effects. There you will see the fixed Effects and any more that you have added. Twirl open Motion to get to Positon. Note: Scale is also there too.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Photo ease in - ease out for PE7?
            Steve Grisetti-JFIrXo Adobe Community Professional & MVP

And, once you've created the keyframed movement Hunt describes, you can set the speed of this motion to Ease In or Ease Out.

MovieMaker is a very different program than Premiere Elements. It's very simple and very automatic.

Premiere Elements is a much more professional-style program and may require going a little deeper to create effects -- but with many more customizable features and many more professional-style effects available.

If you'd like to know how the program works, have a look at my free Basic Training with Premiere Elements tutorials at Premiere Elements support site http://Muvipix.com.

And, for more advanced understanding of the program, have a look at my books on Amazon.com and at the Muvipix store.

My newest book, "Cool Tricks & Hot Tips for Adobe Premiere Elements" takes you step by step through a number of very cool effects!

http://Muvipix.com/cooltricks

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Photo ease in - ease out for PE7?
              friedkudzu Level 1

Thank you for responding so quickly.  I found the "scale bar" which does move the picture closer and further back.  But what I am trying to do is make the photo eather ease in or ease out during playback automatically.  I already have fade in and fade out applied to this particular photo, must this be taken off so the automatic scaling can be applied?  I am just looking for an automative ease in and ease out of a photo.  Thank you for any aditional help.

• 4. Re: Photo ease in - ease out for PE7?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

In your case, it is Motion>Position, and not Motion>Scale, that you will want. You can slide the image from completely outside of the Frame to anywhere within the Frame, including off-screen from where it entered, holding for a period of time, and then going back, or even holding and then going off the top, or off the bottom.

The Ease In/Ease Out is a Bezier setting to smooth out the motion created by the Keyframes. They control the Velocity, and in their case, start the motion slowly, speeding up to a constant speed, and then slowing down, at the Ease In Keyframe. These are applied to the Keyframes that you set. There are other Bezier settings, that will adjust the Velocity of the Keyframes. In general, I use Ease In and Ease Out most often, as they produce a smooth, and pleasing effect.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Photo ease in - ease out for PE7?
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Also, can you be more specific about what you mean by "ease in"?

Ease In technically describes how a motion occurs (first slowly, then faster) rather than the motion itself.

Is this transition from one still to another a slide, a fade, a push or what?

Also, do you understand what Hunt is saying when he talks about keyframing? That's a key concept for creating effects with Premiere Elements.

• 6. Re: Photo ease in - ease out for PE7?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

And, to help grasp the concept of Keyframing, Steve has a "basic keyframing" tutorial for PrE. That is very useful. Once one has a full understanding of Keyframing, how it works, the general methods, they will have the "power!" From there, it's just a matter of a little planning and a few clicks.

Though for Pr (precursor to PrPro, and 1st cousin to PrE), this TUTORIAL will give you the basic concepts. Things will look a bit different in PrE, but the philosophy is the same.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Photo ease in - ease out for PE7?
                      friedkudzu Level 1

I am somewhat grasping what he Hunt is saying.  What I mean by "ease in" I mean a slow "zoom in" or "zoom out" on the still framed picture.  Right now the picture is in the time line and all I want it to do is to slowly zoom in on the picture(while in play), and on the next picture on the timeline I want it to slowly zoom out while in playback (Like a Ken Burns shot on a photo).  Windows Movie Maker describes this as a "ease in" so that is my mistake for calling it that.  I do not understand keyframes and I did try to watch your video but unfortunately I am missing something called a codec in my media player.  What I will do is re download Windows Media Player and try to watch it again.  I am trying to make a small documentary and so far PE7 has been great and easy to use for the most part.  I just really want that slow zoom in and zoom out shots for the doc.  Thank you and Hunt for answering so quickly and being so patient.

• 8. Re: Photo ease in - ease out for PE7?
                        Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

As I said, simple programs like Windows MovieMaker tend to have a lot of automatic functions -- such as the ones you're describing. They're very easy to use -- but also very limiting.

Premiere Elements, on the other hand, despite having many automatic effects, is really much more advanced. The best effects are the ones you create yourself using an animation system called keyframing. Using keyframing, you could very easily do what you want to do. But there's no automatic way to create that particular effect.

As Hunt said, if you'd like to learn keyframing, there are a number of resoruces -- including books, articles and tutorials that I've written or created.

But, if not, it might be wise to stick with MovieMaker for this particular effect. There's no crime in using more than one program to edit your movie! Just create the effects that can be easily done in MovieMaker in MovieMaker -- then output them as DV-AVIs and import them into a Premiere Elements project for finishing.

• 9. Re: Photo ease in - ease out for PE7?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

In your case, you DO want Motion>Scale. Sorry that I thought you were wishing to "slide" the image into the Frame, and that is where Motion>Position incorrectly entered into the discussion. My misunderstanding. You are doing a Zoom. Keyframes will still be the ticket, and you can control the Scale with those over time. Those Keyframes can also be "smoothed out," with the application of the Ease-In and Ease-Out, so that the Velocity also changes over time.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Photo ease in - ease out for PE7?
                            friedkudzu Level 1

Ah! Key framing!  Are you reffering to the little yellow dots?  lol.  I guess I should start using the real technical terms of things.  I am familier with key frames if they are indeed those little yellow dots.  Unforturnitly I only know how to make them when it comes to audio.  For the past hour I have been trying to creat them on my time line to use the scale bar but I cannot seem to make any.  I think if I can just create two key frames then I can use the "zoom in" and "zoom out" feature I am gunning for.  I already have two key frames on there for the fade in - fade out sequence.  BTW Steve your idea for using Windows Movie Maker for the zoom in effect really did work!  I tried it out and I can easily drop the sequences I made in WMM into PE7.  I would prefer to use the key frames on PE7 but this would be a great back up plan.  Thank you both for all the help!

• 11. Re: Photo ease in - ease out for PE7?
                              friedkudzu Level 1

ah hah!!!!  To create one just click on the diamond on the left side of the video line!  yes!!  thank you fellas!  I really do appreciate it!!

• 12. Re: Photo ease in - ease out for PE7?
                                friedkudzu Level 1

With the two key frames and the "scale" checked it is

indeed zooming in.  Now I just have to slow it down b/c i is zooming in too fast.  Im gonna try and

read some of steve's info on key frames.  thanks again guys.

• 13. Re: Photo ease in - ease out for PE7?
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

That Pr tutorial that I linked to will give you the basics. Steve give more specific PrE suggestions. One does this within the Effects Control Panel, but the basics are the same. Once you get down the concept and the initial mechanics, it will become easy for you.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: Photo ease in - ease out for PE7?
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

You "done broke the code!" The Di Vinci Code has just been revealed to you. If you listen to Yoda, you will step into the light, and embrace the "Power."

Good luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: Photo ease in - ease out for PE7?
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

The speed is determined by the placement of the Keyframes within the Duration of the Clip. The Velocity, is handled via the Bezier settings (Rt-click on each Keyframe).

Good luck,

Hunt

• 16. Re: Photo ease in - ease out for PE7?
                                        gordoni47 Level 1

I get the concept of "easing in/out" but need simple instructions on how to achieve it. Say: I want to have a graphic zoom up, but go slowly at the beginning and the end and faster in the middle. I've tried ease in/out, and various bezier settings and nothing changes.

Thanks,

GORDON

• 17. Re: Photo ease in - ease out for PE7?
                                          Peterpannny

I did not belived my eyes today when I was going to make an animation in photoshop to find out that the "ease in" "ease out" functionality in the animation was not there.

This should be a priority in next update. Not possible to make a nice animation without this