3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2010 4:18 AM by JeffryHouser

How could i launch another adobe program from flex?

flexillu10 Level 1

I want to launch Adobe Illustrator from my flex app?

Any ideas how i could achieve this?

• 1. Re: How could i launch another adobe program from flex?
          rootsounds Level 4

My research indicates that this isn't possible with the AIR library in the existing Flex SDK.

This describes a supposed workaround:

http://www.badu.ro/?p=36

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How could i launch another adobe program from flex?
            JeffryHouser Level 4

Actually, with the NativeProcess introduced in AIR 2, you should be able to launch an external program without any issues; eliminating the need for tools like CommandProxy or Merapi.

From a Web application your best bet is to use navigateToURL, point it at an illustrator file, and then the browser will handle it.  You have no control over how the browser handles it, though.  It may launch illustrator.  It may ask the user to download the file.  It may trigger some file scanning software.  It all depends on the browser and the user's machine configuration.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: How could i launch another adobe program from flex?
              flexillu10 Level 1

JeffryHouser wrote:

Actually, with the NativeProcess introduced in AIR 2, you should be able to launch an external program without any issues; eliminating the need for tools like CommandProxy or Merapi.

From a Web application your best bet is to use navigateToURL, point it at an illustrator file, and then the browser will handle it.  You have no control over how the browser handles it, though.  It may launch illustrator.  It may ask the user to download the file.  It may trigger some file scanning software.  It all depends on the browser and the user's machine configuration.

Thanks for the replies. I'm afraid i am a newbie though on a work placement.

In reference to the NativeProcess, how exactly would i go about launching illustrator with a given .ai file?

I don't really understand what NativeProcess does