4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2010 5:56 AM by Tayedrummer

How do I: Quickly mark clip in/out on timeline?

Tayedrummer

I'm pretty sure CS3 had a button to do this but I can't seem to find this in CS5.

If I want to replace a clip on the timeline I'd like to grab the clip, mark its start as the in point, its end as the outpoint then overlay the clip from the source monitor.  Is there a single button or keyboard shortcut to mark a clip's in/out?

Much thanks in advance,

• 2. Re: How do I: Quickly mark clip in/out on timeline?
          Tayedrummer Level 1

Thanks for the quick reply Jeff but that's not quite what I'm looking for.

I'm looking to replace a clip in the middle of a sequence.  Right now I: Click the clip, press PGUP, press I, press PGDN, press O.  Then I overlay the clip from the souce monitor.

I'm wondering if there is a single keyboard shortcut to replace those four keystrokes.

• 3. Re: How do I: Quickly mark clip in/out on timeline?
            Colin Brougham Level 6

Don't quote me on this, as I might have changed them from the defaults, but pressing the '/' (forward slash) will mark an in and out around the currently selected clip or clips (also includes gaps), and is independent of track targeting; pressing 'Shift+/' will mark the clip under the CTI (not including gaps), and is dependent on track targeting. If these are not the defaults, check the shortcuts by going to Edit > Keyboard Customization > Application > Marker > Set Sequence Marker; both options are present there.

Note that you don't have to do this, though, as there's an even simpler way to replace a clip. In the Source Monitor, mark the in point you want, and then drag the clip to the clip instance in the sequence you want to replace. Hold down the Alt key and you'll see an outline appear around your target clip. When you release the mouse, the clip will be replaced and the in point you set will be mapped to the in point of the clip instance already in the sequence. You can also set a keyboard shortie for this under Application > Clip > Replace with Clip. This is a really fast way to re-edit a sequence.

1 person found this helpful
            • 4. Re: How do I: Quickly mark clip in/out on timeline?
              Tayedrummer Level 1

Brilliant Colin, that Alt+drag is exactly what I was looking for.

Cheers!