6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2007 2:31 PM by daveGlasgow

Importing video at runtime

daveGlasgow
      I am trying to develop a flash application where the user can import video at runtime
      I wonder if anyone has seen anything like this or could give me a clue where to start looking
        • 1. Re: Importing video at runtime
          Greg Dove Level 4
          By 'import' I assume you just mean to load and play an flv file?

If so, check out the FLVPlayback component in the documentation.

To start with, just drop one on stage, and set its contentPath property to your flv's url. That will work.

If you want to do more with it in actionscript then give it an instance name and check out the examples - there are plenty of existing code examples in livedocs about how to do this.
          • 2. Re: Importing video at runtime
            daveGlasgow Level 1
            Hi
            Tanks for your reply
            I am not tying to work out how to put video in to a project when developing it - but to create an interface where by a user can upload a video clip to the swf
            • 3. Re: Importing video at runtime
              Greg Dove Level 4
              Sorry this is not clear: "upload a video clip to the swf"

By "upload a video clip to the swf" to you mean play a video from a playlist selection in the swf... or do you mean upload videos to the server (this type of thing is more related to server side code than to actionsript).

• 4. Re: Importing video at runtime
                daveGlasgow Level 1
                I have only just started thinking this thing through but yes if the swf was sitting on a server then yes it maybe server side scripting, biut you would still need the flasgh interface and how much of that can be done with action scripting I am not sure.

The end result will be that some has a video clip stored locally on their machine or on a camera and I want them to be able to upload this on to flash application
                • 5. Re: Importing video at runtime
                  Greg Dove Level 4
                  It sounds like you need to upload to the server, convert avi or mpg format to flv and then make the flv's downloadable to your flash client player...you can't do that any other way.

Like Youtube?

90% (perhaps more?) of that is server side work - and, if you're not familiar with it, reasonably complicated. The flash part is relatively straightforward.

• 6. Re: Importing video at runtime
                    daveGlasgow Level 1
                    yes a bit like youtube however it may not be nesassary for it to be an online application

ta

d