6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2010 6:55 PM by John T Smith

Jerky timeline playback on laptop even after rendering work area

thejimken

Just started using Premiere CS5, with Sony EX-1 and when I play a clip on the timeline the clip initially it play’s smoothly and within a second or two of playing quick slows down to very jerky playback one frame every half a second until I pause the clip and start playing it again and the same thing happens.

Laptop running off main power supply:

·         Premiere CS5

·         Windows 7 64 bit

·         Laptop Dell XPS M1730

·         Intel Core 2 Extreme X7900 (overclocked to 3.2GHz/4MB L2/ 800MHz FSB)

·         Dual Nvidia GeForce 8700M-GT in SLI (256MB each) most current drivers from Nvidia

·         Dual 500GB 7200RPM drives in RAID 0 (striped data) 70% full

·         4GB DDR2-667 RAM in dual-channel

Footage single straight from camera, no effects transferred to local drive using Sony XDCAM EX clipbrowers v2.5 clip info from Premiere:

·         Type: XDCAM-EX Movie

·         File Size: 89.0 MB

·         Image Size: 1920 x 1080p

·         Pixel Depth: 32

·         Frame Rate: 25.00

·         Source Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 16 bit - Stereo

·         Project Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 32 bit floating point - Stereo

·         Total Duration: 00:00:20:13

·         Average Data Rate: 4.3 MB / second

·         Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.0

My assessment is although my laptop is not the newest with these specs it should not struggle to play this clip at normal full frame rate 25p and there is enough overhead in the system. The clip is shown with a yellow line above it in the timeline window which I thought meant Premiere thinks it can play the clip with no rendering. Even after rendering the work area so the above line is green make no difference to play back speed! Played with the playback resolution and pause resolution in the playback window make no difference ( option for both are ¼ , ½ , and full resolution.)

The only application running is Premiere CS5 opened after reboot

I’m new to Forum posting so I hope this is the right amount of information would very grateful of any feedback as really frustrated.

Regards

James