13 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2010 8:21 AM by the_wine_snob

Elements 8 Trial problem

andy_m88

Hi im using the a 30 day trial of Elements to determine if its up to the editing i need to do.

Problem is since install i haven't been able to preview play the footage on my timeline, when i press space bar to play the preview screen goes black and only when i stop playback does the image return.

Does anyone know if this is a hardware problem i may be having? i do quite a lot of editing but must admit i don't know everything about hardware requirements and system setup.

Any help would be appreciated!

cheers

• 1. Re: Elements 8 Trial problem
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

It could be hardware, or it could be related to the source footage.

Let's start at zero, and work up. We can use a lot more info, and this ARTICLE will give you tips on what would be so very useful, plus how to gather some of it.

While you are gathering all that info, please make sure that you have the latest video and audio drivers (from their mfgr's. Web site), and also the latest QT Player installed.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Elements 8 Trial problem
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I'm with you, Hunt. I think this is most likely related to what kind of camcorder this video came from.

• 3. Re: Elements 8 Trial problem
              andy_m88 Level 1

Ok my computer spec is, dell Vostro laptop, Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5870 @2.00Ghz 2.00Ghz

4GB ram with 32 bit operation system (windows 7)

I have updated Elements since install and I also have the latest version of QT. I have a single 230GB SATA Hdrive with 137GB free space. Virtual memory is 4000mb and managed by Windows.

I have been working with various file types using various project settings but am currently working with AVI footage using no compression in a PAL 720p project. The footage i am importing is 25fps and 1280x720 recorded using Camtasia V7.

Regadless of the file type and the prject setting the probelm of not being able to view preview plays still occurs. One area i thought could be causing the problem is with the graphics card, i beleive this machine only has onboard graphics. The reason i am not to sure on the set up of this machine is because i have only recently been given it through work and i was not responsible for choosing it.

• 4. Re: Elements 8 Trial problem
                the_wine_snob Level 9

With Camtasia (or CamStudio) footage, the links in this ARTICLE might prove useful.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Elements 8 Trial problem
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  One area i thought could be causing the problem is with the graphics card, i beleive this machine only has onboard graphics.

This can be a real problem. You can find out by going to Hardware>Device Manager, and looking in the Display section.

Intel makes great chips, BUT with embedded graphics chips, they seldom offer any driver updates. For most general computing, this is not a big issue. With video editing, the NLE (Non Linear Editor, like PrE) interfaces more completely with the video driver, than almost any other program, and that driver needs to be 100%.

For most folk with embedded graphics chips, the only real answer is to install an ATI, or nVidia graphics card, and to disable the embedded chip in either the BIOS Setup, or via jumpers on the MoBo. Few ever get embedded graphics chips to perform adequately for video editing.

Good luck, and sorry for the bad news,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Elements 8 Trial problem

I agree with you again, Hunt. The problem is likely the AVI that Camtasia created. It does not likely use the standard DV codec.

EDIT

I double-checked, and Camtasia does not offer the DV codec with AVI video. You will not be able to output a compatible video in that format.

However, if you select the MOV output and enter the Settings, you can select either the DV/DVCPRO-NTSC or the DV-PAL codecs, which will produce a file that will work in a Premiere Elements project set up for DV, if you set it for the standard frame size and frame rate.

• 7. Re: Elements 8 Trial problem
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Camtasia uses the TechSmith CODEC's. Now, in PrPro, with those properly installed, things seem to work pretty good. Jeff Bellune (featured in most of the links in the above article) has some great looking Camtasia tutorials on his site, and all were edited in PrPro. I just do not know how well PrE might/might not, work with the TechSmith CODEC's. Here is a LINK to a PrPro thread, where Jeff commented, and showed examples. Remember, the editing with the TechSmith CODEC's was done in PrPro and not PrE.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Elements 8 Trial problem

So those seem to be the options:

Either use AVIs with the Tech Smith codec and edit the video in Premiere Pro, or output the file as an MOV with the  DV codec and edit it in Premiere Elements.

• 9. Re: Elements 8 Trial problem
                          andy_m88 Level 1

I don't think its the files that are coming from Camtasia that are causing the problem, obviously ive tried footage from several sources (which are several formats and use different codecs depending) and they all have the same result. The other reason im pretty sure its not the files is because they display in the preview windows and can be exported no problems (also im exporting from Cam without compression to make sure there are no problems caused by the TechSmith codec). The footage im working with is for use at 1280x720 res so working in standard DV is a no go.

Im going to spend some more time looking into the hardware of my laptop and see what can be done,

thanks for the advice

• 10. Re: Elements 8 Trial problem

I still say there's every indication that the problem is the source footage. And I think you ought to at least try using a 720x480 DV-MOV in a new Premiere Elements project set up for DV to see if it is. Otherwise, if you're just going to disregard our advice, I'm not sure we can help you.

Yes, I understand you want to work with hi-def footage from this source. But you're using a non-standard video source in a program that's very temperamental about its video sources. So unless you work with us to troubleshoot this, we can't even hope to get you to using the kind of footage you want to use.

Remember, it must be a fresh project set up for DV. No other footage in the Project media panel except the test DV-MOV from Camtasia.

• 11. Re: Elements 8 Trial problem
                              andy_m88 Level 1

Ive managed to sort the problem, i was adding some transitions and i got a graphics card error telling me i should check for the latest drivers so i did and now everything is fine.

thanks for the suggestions anyway Steve

• 12. Re: Elements 8 Trial problem

Great news, Andy!

I still recommend doing a test piece first -- all the way through output -- before committing to a larger project.

Some codec-related issues (out of sync audio, interlacing jiggle) don't manifest themselves until you output a file.

• 13. Re: Elements 8 Trial problem
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Good news!

Updating one's video and audio drivers on a regular basis will often fix many issues.

Good luck,

Hunt