8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2010 10:19 PM by talbot

How do I edit the text movement/location in a fla file?

talbot Level 1

I'm building a site that was bought from a template house that has a flash piece in the header. I have Win CS4 and have been able to swap out the images and replace the text but I am having a hard time finding where I can edit where/how the text aligns/ends up. Here's the test location: FertilityTestSite

Originally there was text of varying lengths that slides in below each image aligning right to the play/stop button. I tried to get them to give me text of a similar length but they just want the phone number. So now the phone number slides in but because the original text was longer (except for the one that had a ph#) they stop at different locations where the original 1st character came allowing to align right.

So my question is how/where do I edit this action? Would this be [in] the ActionScript? I am a complete noob and have only gotten to where I am through trial and error. I was able to find and replace the text in Essentials workspace and I was able to swap images (update) by right clicking them in the library view and I see a text export in there too that I have a high suspicion is what I need to edit but don't know how to access it. Or maybe there's another way and my suspicion is wrong.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: How do I edit the text movement/location in a fla file?
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There are numerous ways things can be controlled when it comes to animating them, there's no telling how the designer might have approached the design with seeing the file.

If you see an instance name assigned to the textfield or whatever movieclip holds it, then there's a chance it is animated using actionscript, in which case you would want to look for things in the code involving that instance name and something involving the word tween (possibly... other approaches are possible with code).  If you know how the images are managed, then chances are the text is managed in a similar manner.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How do I edit the text movement/location in a fla file?
            talbot Level 1

The way it is setup they have done a terrible job naming things. How do I get to the ActionScript code?-flash-scrnsht2.jpg

-flash-scrnsht3.jpg

So, I don't really know where to start... Thanks for trying.

• 3. Re: How do I edit the text movement/location in a fla file?

If you look at the timeline, any frames that have a little "a" in them contain actionscript.  Open the Actions window and select a frame.  The library names mean nothing to the code if that is how the animations are controlled.  If you can select the object on the stage, in the Properties panel is where it gets assigned an instance name... that name is what is used in the code.

If you are lucky and the file is designed using Actionscript 3 (AS3), then code can only be placed in the timeline or in separate '.as' files.  If your file uses AS2, then code can be attached to objects, which can make it harder to find.

• 4. Re: How do I edit the text movement/location in a fla file?
                talbot Level 1

You're still way over my head. I figured out F9 opens the action window but I don't see a little A anywhere. So I am in Scene1 (only scene) and I'm in Essentials mode and I'm looking at the Timeline. What do I do?

• 5. Re: How do I edit the text movement/location in a fla file?

There isn't much I can do about you being in over your head... working with Flash isn't something you learn in short order.  The picture of the timeline you provided is a bit too small to make anything out, but the top layer of it appears to have a number of frames that have actionscript in them.

• 6. Re: How do I edit the text movement/location in a fla file?
                    talbot Level 1

I am fully aware of the complexities and I am totally at your mercy. I plan on taking a flash course this fall to add to my list of languages/programs. So if it helps, here are some more shots and I also have the fla file zipped here

-flash-scrnsht4.jpg

-flash-scrnsht5.jpg

And I apologize for not knowing where to do stuff it help if you could sort of give me the path.

Thanks again, I really appreciate you lending a hand.

• 7. Re: How do I edit the text movement/location in a fla file?

No need to apologize for anything.  The timeline picture you showed just now only shows the last frame, so I can't really tell you much about it.  But if you look at whatever you used to make the timeline image in your earlier posting, the layer that shows right at the top that is just white with dots (and I think little "a"s above some dots) is where you need to look for code.  There's every chance you won't be able to interpret the code very well, but if you have other programming experience, it will put you in a better position to try.

But based on that timeline, because it appears to have a number of motion tweens, I suspect you might not need to deal with the code, and may only have to work with positioning things on the timeline.  Unfortunately, I didn't really follow what you explained you are having a problem with doing, so it's hard to suggest.

I couldn't open the file you linked, so it is made with a newer version of Flash than what I own (I have CS3).

• 8. Re: How do I edit the text movement/location in a fla file?
                        talbot Level 1

Thanks, I don't like to impose...

Maybe because of our different versions I am not seeing what you are? I uploaded a CS3 version here. I do have some languages under my belt so I can probably figure it out, my problem is getting to it...

Thanks again Ned.