10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2010 3:00 PM by silverhandphoto

particle effect

silverhandphoto Level 1

Per some of my previous posts you probably know that I have trouble "controlling" my particle effects, to achieve exactly what I want...

I am wanting particles to come in from all sides and fill the screen so it would appear to fill to a solid color.

thanks! and if anyone has suggestions or an article that would help with particular or particle simulators please let me know. I have used particles as wipes, or simple effects...but, to get them to act in a specific manner is another...

thanks again!

• 1. Re: particle effect
          TimeRemapper Level 4

If your particles only need to be the same texture/color as your final image, I may consider using one or more instances of Shatter (lateral forces), possibly with slight blurs or other effects applied as well, then reverse the clip(s).

• 2. Re: particle effect
            silverhandphoto Level 1

The project is strictly 2d, not 3d...the dots come in from all side and fill from the middle out...again, solid color.

shatter is pretty cool and that is another piece i need to learn to use. i have not used ae as much as i wish. but all of a sudden i have quite a few projects that require it!

• 3. Re: particle effect
              silverhandphoto Level 1

Ok...looking at some samples of shatter seems to be able to do exactly what I need it to... can you use shatter on a solid color? can you set it so that it does not have any z-depth?

back to shatter tutorials!

thanks!

• 4. Re: particle effect
                TimeRemapper Level 4
                can you use shatter on a solid color? can you set it so that it does not have any z-depth?

Yes.

Have fun experimenting & learning.

• 5. Re: particle effect
                  silverhandphoto Level 1

I have got a good look, but the designer is wanting it to build from the in out...an reverse is not really doing it...

here is a sample of what they want. let me know if you have some good ideas.

dot build sample.jpg

• 6. Re: particle effect
                    Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It's much easier to break something apart than to put it together. If I was faced with this project I'd create 2 image maps and sue Shatter. You can use some color noise to make the particles and a gradient to control the shatter. Now blow up your layer then Pre-compose the Shatter Layer effect and time reverse the pre-comp. There you go, your layer is assembled from a bunch of little parts flying in from the edge of the screen.

Hope this helps.

• 7. Re: particle effect
                      silverhandphoto Level 1

You both have been extremely patient with me thanks... I cannot believe I am having such difficulty with controlling particles...

I totally get that it is easier to break apart than put together and I don't have trouble running something in reverse.. what I am having trouble is that shatter forces from the center out and when I reverse the shot it does not seem to build from the center out...the appearance is very disc shaped. Also, how would you break appart the screen from the outside in?  Shatter works in a circle...from the center of the out...

Sorry for the nonsense questions...I am having an extremely difficult time on a simple effect... I have got all the pieces for the project done except for this and I am starting to panic.

• 8. Re: particle effect
                        silverhandphoto Level 1

ok...thanks for all y'all trying to help me... I faked it and the customer loved it...whew!!!

I will now dig in to figuring out shatter and particles in general. I have not really had to use them before as the clients I worked with never wanted to use them....now things be a changing a little.

cheers!

• 9. Re: particle effect
                          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can use a gradient to control the shatter. A simple black to white radial gradient will make the image break apart from the outside edges first. If it is breaking apart from the inside first then simply check the box that says invert gradient.

• 10. Re: particle effect
                            silverhandphoto Level 1

thank you again...i have never felt like such an idiot on a project...