4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 16, 2010 8:22 AM by mustangdesigner

slide show

mustangdesigner Level 1

I was taught to make a fading "slide show" in Flash CS3 using movie clips, key frames, and alpha channels.  Is there a simpler way?  I have a project with over 40 "slides."  I am aware of some web sites like slide.com but they seem to include ads which I don't want on a professional site. Any suggestions on how to create a slide show like this one more quickly than with tweening movie clips? (I do have CS4 now.)

http://www.premierofficeequipment.com/Products.html

• 1. Re: slide show
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Try searching Google using terms like "AS3 XML slideshow tutorial" and you may find one that implements actionscript tweening of dynamically loaded images.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: slide show
            mustangdesigner Level 1

Looks like what I need.  My concern is how long it may take to load before it starts the slide show.  What happens while it is loading?  Is it a blank white box,  a progress bar, etc.

• 3. Re: slide show
              Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't know what you found, but it should be able to start the sldieshow as soon as the first image is loaded.  Going the route you want to avoid, you'd have the users waiting for all the images to load before anything started.  As far as what happens while you're waiting for anything to load, that's likely your decision as well.  Depending on the image sizes (byte-wise), you could have a slideshow that doesn't reflect any waiting at any time.

If you are not comfortable creating your own, you could probably buy one at a fairly reasonable cost.  Usually, folks who make them to sell will sell them fairly inexpensively because their intention is to make money on the number they sell to make up for the time they spent creating them.  If you create your own, you'll understand why it can be expensive to have someone create one specifically to suite someone's preferences (the same goes for templates you find for sale... the base price is cheap, but the tailored price jumps right up to the thousands of $$).

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: slide show
                mustangdesigner Level 1

Thanks.  Yes, I create my own slide shows in flash but thought there might be a more efficient way without billing the customer for a long Flash slideshow.  What I found looks like it will work fine if it starts with the first image load.  Thanks for the help