4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2010 1:15 PM by MarkWalsh

Simplified Notation question

MarkWalsh Level 4

I haven't used Simplified notation much (the forms I work on usually require javascripting beyond the capabilities of Simplified Notation), but I'm working on a form right now which is simple enough to not require Javascript.

Some of the fields are using 'dot' notation in the field name to allow calculating the sum of multiple fields. This part works, but if I use try to use a field with a dot in the name in simplified notation calculations, it doesn't work.

Is this a limitation of Simplified Notation calculations? Is there a way to use a field with a dot in the name (e.g. 'QCostPerInf.Outpatient') in a Simplified Notation calculation, or do I have to resort to not using dot notation in the naming of fields?

• 1. Re: Simplified Notation question
          try67 MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Dots are reserved in PDF files for representing "widgets", which are the

various visual representation of the same field.

For example, when you create radio-buttons they all have the same name, but

each button is a widget.

So I would suggest using a different naming scheme for your fields.

• 2. Re: Simplified Notation question
            MarkWalsh Level 4

Thanks, I was aware of the 'widgets' feature; I was using this to allow me to calculate the sum across several fields.

I'm probably going to end up redoing the calculations using Javascript after all - I'm seeing some really weird quirks right now with the standard calculation tools. I'm recreating an excel document in a PDF, and some of the numbers weren't matching up. One of the fields showed the sum of 4 other fields which were set to show 0 decimal places (those 4 fields were calculated from other fields, so they were actually decimal numbers). In the Client's Excel document, the sum field showed as 14, in mine it showed as 13. When I changed the fields to in the PDF to show 2 decimal places to see the actual values expected, it then showed 14.02 (which matches the Excel document). Changing the field back to 0 decimal places retained the 14 in the field. Clearing the form and reentering the same numbers resulted in a 13 again. Not sure why it's exhibiting this behaviour, but at this point, I'd rather just redo all of the fields the way I am familiar. That way, I can decide how to round the values where I need to.

• 3. Re: Simplified Notation question
              try67 MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Sounds like a problem in the field calculation order.

• 4. Re: Simplified Notation question
                MarkWalsh Level 4

Yeah, I thought that too, but I didn't see any difference when I adjusted them. I'll see if I can try again when I get a chance later, perhaps I messed up the order.