8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2011 8:20 AM by the_wine_snob

No Workspace on PRE8

TsarBizzare

Hello, my son has been happily using PRE8 to capture stop/motion from a Samsung DV camcorder through an IEEE1394 firewire. Now any New Project refuses to even open a workspace, all the menus are greyed out with no update option in Help menu. Adobe support suggested renaming the preference and style folders but to no avail. I have uninstalled/ re-installed more than once and deleted all old PRE8 files. i am struggling to think what system changes may have happened around the time of this problem.

System specs are:

Pentium Dual core E5300 2.6GHz

2GB RAM

64 bit Window 7

Intel G41 express graphics card, supporting MS DirectX10 etc.

231GB free space.

Help my son to rediscover his love of animation. Thanks.

• 1. Re: No Workspace on PRE8
          nealeh Level 5

Some basics:

• Install all Windows updates
          • Install latest version of QuickTime (v7.6.6 at time of writing)
          • Install most recent graphics and sound drivers from the manufacturers web sites
          • Run Disk Cleanup
          • Run Defragmenter
          • Post back here with the necessary information described here: Got a Problem? How to Get Started, especially including a screen capture from GSpot and details of the project preset you are trying to use.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: No Workspace on PRE8
            the_wine_snob Level 9

I would also go to Window>Restore Workspace, and see if that helps.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - there have been a lot of OS updates lately for XP and Win7 (probably Vista too), so updating the video driver would be a good move.

• 3. Re: No Workspace on PRE8
              TsarBizzare Level 1

Cheers, yep, there were a couple of updates to be made. Reinstalled PRE8....and... still no Workspace on new or existing projects.There is an error message when attempting to open a newly created project - 'projects created with Adobe Premiere Pro and Adobe Premiere Elements are not compatible, PLease use the appropriate application to open this proejct'. I don't have Premiere Pro so what is going on here?

Without any menu options I still can't load an update.

When unintalling PRE8 there is an option to remove or keep preferences - is this relevant to my problem?

I opened some newly created .prel projects in Gspot. There were no problem codecs or filters.

Any other ideas greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

• 4. Re: No Workspace on PRE8
                nealeh Level 5

This may be a starting point: Troubleshoot damaged projects (Adobe Premiere Elements 8)

Cheers,
                --
                Neale
                Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 5. Re: No Workspace on PRE8
                  Rot_Pada

Did you find a solution to this issue? I am experiencing the same problems as described, including the Elements v. Pro error message. Have tried re-install and updates and still grayed out menu's and no workspace.

• 6. Re: No Workspace on PRE8
                    TsarBizzare Level 1

Hi, I tried all the comprehensive range of tips from the PRE gurus, must have

reinstalled the programme 20 times or more and still have the same problem you

describe. So I've given up on PRE8, waste of £60 really, i think its probably

too resource heavy and cumbersome for what i need which is stop motion animation

from mini-DV camorder. I'm now using Stop Motion Pro which is much simpler and

easier to use.

I'd be happy to hear though if you do discover a fix. good luck,

• 7. Re: No Workspace on PRE8
                      Rot_Pada Level 1

Mine came with two DVD's - the program DVD and a "Content" DVD. When I load the program and the patch, the program works fine. If I load the Content DVD, I get the errors as described. So I have just been running it without the Content DVD loaded.

Also, the program has problems if I am online while editing (hangs on exit, for example). I have read elsewhere that it might be a conflict with McAfee Real Time Scanning. It works better if I disable my Internet connection and RTS in McAfee. What a pain. Did they do any beta-testing on this junk?

I have PRE4 on my laptop and have never had a problem with it. I am very disappointed with PRE8. My next computer will be a Mac with Final Cut.

• 8. Re: No Workspace on PRE8
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Video editing is one of the most intense operations, that your computer is likely to do. The exceptions would be heavy-duty 3D, or CAD, but then you'd have a workstation for those purposes. Most computers are filled with unnecessary programs, and a lot of these load at bootup, along with many processes. Even a stout computer can be bogged down by these, as they require CPU cycles and other resources. Many of those programs/processes are totally unnecessary, and some can easily be disabled for an editing session. This ARTICLE will give you tips on doing so.

My laptop is quite clean, and I can have PrPro, Photoshop, Illustrator, Encore and Word open, while I edit Video. Now, as I am working on my Video, I am not surfing the Web, nor am I reading my e-mails, so all anti-virus, pop-up blockers and spysweepers are turned OFF, during an editing session. Active anti-virus programs are a real issue. Windows Indexing is a little resource "hog," and can also lock files, especially large working files for a Video (or image) editor. I have this turned OFF for all of my HDD's.

If one's computer is not robust, to begin with, they will have problems trying to multi-task, when editing Video. Programs like MS Outlook, really get in the way, and some browsers are no better.

I also have a big problem with the "minimum system requirements" published on the Adobe site, and printed on the box. I feel that those "requirements" are about right to just install and launch the program, and not even enough to begin editing more than an SD DV-AVI Clip, or two. I have commented to Adobe many times, that they need to just about double those requirements for a pleasant editing experience, but so far, marketing has not taken those comments to heart.

If you are experiencing hangs, crashes, or slow-downs, explore the programs and processes that load at boot-up, and disable all that are not 100% necessary.

Good luck,

Hunt