5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2010 2:03 PM by Studio North Films

WD drives

Jay Knobbe Level 1

Besides the cache, what is the difference between these two drives and which would be preferred ?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4034139&csid=IT D&body=MAIN#detailspecs

and

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6076939&csid=IT D&body=MAIN#detailspecs

What is the difference between these interfaces listed for these two drives -  SATA 6Gb/s and Serial ATA-300 ?

You can go nuts trying to figure some of this stuff out!

• 1. Re: WD drives
          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I would go with the Western Digital WD1002FAEX Caviar Black Hard Drive - 1TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gbs

It has a faster interface but you probably will not see any difference because of that.  The main reason I would get it is the 64 MB of cache.  Strangely this newer design with the larger cache costs less than the older design.  A half a dozen of these and you will have a super disk subsystem for Premiere.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: WD drives
            Jay Knobbe Level 1

Preferred even over the Spinpoint F3's? I may use them in a Raid 0 or maybe just as 5 seperate drives.I have a WD Velociraptor 300gb drive for the OS

• 3. Re: WD drives
              Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Sorry, butI have no experience with either brand in that size.  I do know that Harm generally preferes the F3.

• 4. Re: WD drives
                ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

The Western Digital WD1002FAEX Caviar Black Hard Drive - 1TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gbs have been far more reliable than the WD or Seagate

drives have been over the last year and a half. The first 6 months failure rate was sky rocketing during that time for both companies. The average read and write speed on these newer WD drives are around 110MB/s to 114MB/s which is about as good as you are going to get without going raptors or SSD. I would recommend these.

Eric

ADK

• 5. Re: WD drives
                  Studio North Films Level 3

I am using samsung F3 in my Raid setup and have never had any issues, they are good priced and have very good performance.

Baz