5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2010 8:42 PM by pwillener

Windows 7 issue with Reader

CGuro

I just purchased a new HP computer with Windows 7.  The saved PDF files didn't show an Adobe Reader icon. When attempting to open a pdf, Windows asked for a program to use and Reader was not a choice. After reinstalling Reader 9.3, the problem persisted.  When I tried to choose a program to open PDFs, I accidentally clicked on the recommended Adobe Acrobat Pro 9. That program is fine to open saved PDFs, but I cannot open them from emails.  I don't know how to remove Acrobat 9 as the program to open PDFs. Opening a PDF from Adobe Reader 9 works fine, but it's an extra step and doesn't solve the email/web problem.  Any advice?

• 1. Re: Windows 7 issue with Reader
          pwillener Level 8

There are several ways of changing file associations, the easiest probably is to right-click on a PDF file and select 'Open with...', then select Adobe Reader and check 'Always open...'.

• 2. Re: Windows 7 issue with Reader
            CGuro Level 1

Thanks for the suggestion, but I've already tried this and Reader isn't a choice. When I browsed for a program, I can find Reader but cannot choose it.  I don't understand this at all.

• 3. Re: Windows 7 issue with Reader
              pwillener Level 8

We had a very similar topic recently (http://forums.adobe.com/thread/691994), but it is not clear to me how exactly the user resolved the problem - can you have a look at it?

The second method would be to open Windows Explorer, then click Tools | Folder Option, tab File Types.  Select PDF, then change it to the program you want to use to open PDF files.

Again I don't know if this still works the same way in Windows 7.

The last suggestion would be to uninstall, then reinstall Adobe Reader - this should automatically associate the PDF extension with Adobe Reader.

• 4. Re: Windows 7 issue with Reader
                CGuro Level 1

Thank you very much for the link. This user says his friend helped him by

configuring Regedit. The Registry does show AcrRd32.exe as an "open with"

choice. Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to use this info as I don't

understand the Help file. Any help available?

• 5. Re: Windows 7 issue with Reader
                  pwillener Level 8

The registry entry should contain the full path to AcroRd32.exe, e.g. "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe" "%1"

If you are not comfortable to edit the registry, it would be better if you uninstall & reinstall Adobe Reader.