8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2010 8:26 PM by shooternz

Export to WMV (or nearest similar type) on Mac OSX CS5

sprekik Level 1

On a Windows PC (windows XP SP3, Dual Core Intel Processor, 256MB Graphics Card, 1GB RAM), I usually export a small file (of a video interview) for the client's comments on what parts of the video interview to use for editing. All he has on his Windows media PC is a Windows Media Player 10 software.

On a MacPro (Quad Core, 6GB Ram, 256MB Graphics) so far the setting i have used is  H264 custom  (NTSC 352x264 pixels, 30fps progressive field order, 32 khz stereo audio) setings, which the client's windows media player 10 can view. The problem is it creates a very large file (1.36 GB for 1 hr. 2 minutes video).

Original video is quicktime DV 720x480 29.97 fps, Lower Field, 48Khz stereo.

On another slower Windows PC with Premiere CS4 ,machine this same video file when exported to WMV only creates a 206 MB video file. Export settings at Windows Media Video Codec 360 x 264, 29.97 fps, 64 kbps 48khz stereo VBR, Two encoding passes. Although this takes about 4 hours to convert, it generates a smaller 205 MB WMV format file with good audio and video quality just enough for client viewing.

Could you please suggest other custom settings that could export to near WMV via MacOSX which could play back on a windows machine with Windows Media Player 10? I wish to use our Macpro machine since it exports video in lightning time.

• 1. Re: Export to WMV (or nearest similar type) on Mac OSX CS5
          Colin Brougham Level 6

Change the encoding bit rate; that is the primary determinant of file size.

• 2. Re: Export to WMV (or nearest similar type) on Mac OSX CS5
            shooternz Level 6

I am not sure if you are, or are not, able to export a wmv fromyour Mac but ... if you install Flip4Mac you will be able to.

• 3. Re: Export to WMV (or nearest similar type) on Mac OSX CS5
              booch_21

I'm running into the same problems with trying to export to wmv.  My employer uses a stripped down Windows Media Player 9.  I swear it can barely play

wmv's right.

I have an iMac, 2.93 Ghz i7 with 8GB memory and dual hard drives.  I'm new to this machine and new to using CS5, but new to very basic editing.  I was surprised to see that the Mac CS5 doesn't support export to wmv.  I will look at Flip4Mac, as was suggested above.

Are there any other ways to make this transition easier?  I have saved 4 simple movies in MPEG2 format and this lousy Media Player cannot even open them.  I am not sure that our IT department will help on their end so any suggestions to help will be appreciated.

• 4. Re: Export to WMV (or nearest similar type) on Mac OSX CS5
                the_wine_snob Level 9

For the older WMP version, you might be able to sell IT on installing MediaPlayer Classic HC. It's great freeware, and an excellent player, with a small footprint.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Export to WMV (or nearest similar type) on Mac OSX CS5
                  booch_21 Level 1

What I ended up doing was loading the MPEG2 files onto our brand spanking new Windows 7 machine at work.  I should clarify that I had them buy the Win version of CS5 as well.  I was able to load the files into a new composition and save them straight up as WMV.

Thanks for the help!

• 6. Re: Export to WMV (or nearest similar type) on Mac OSX CS5
                    shooternz Level 6

Sheesh....if we knew that you had that kind of budget to fix the issue...thats what we would have sugges

ted to you.

• 7. Re: Export to WMV (or nearest similar type) on Mac OSX CS5
                      booch_21 Level 1

Allow me a moment of off topic indulgence and I'll explain...

I have been doing video editing for work, but on my older Dell with Production Premium CS4.  I had been using Pinnacle 12 or something like that and was given the lead by some of the folks in the industry to try using Adobe products to get a more professional look. 

Meantime, work has decided that I should really do this work in-house to avoid working from home as often.  I shot for the moon with my computer and software request, and they said yes.  So work has an i3 PC, Windows 7 Professional, dual HD's and Production Premium CS5.

I almost ordered myself a duplicate PC to that of work, since my Dell was 6 years old and sorely needing upgraded.  Many of my video pro friends indicated to me that Mac was really the way to go, and still recommended Adobe over whatever Apple has, Studio Pro or something like that.

So I spec'ed out an iMac, felt uneasy making the switch until I discovered Parallels.  I ordered the iMac and Parallels and I have both platforms to play with. But of course, silly me, I can't run CS4 in Parallels.  I find out that Adobe will let me upgrade across platforms for the same price.  Feeling another dive into the bank account, I ordered CS5 for Mac to take advantage of the enhancements that make it purr on this system.

There you have it.  First time running CS5 on the Mac last night and I was astounded that I couldn't save as WMV.  It was dumb luck that I got away with taking the finished video to work and figuring out that I could use that machine to get the WMV from my MPEG2's.

If work bought me the stuff I need, why dive in hard at home with the system?  Never know what kind of "business" you can drum up, plus I can take some free time and learn more about the Production Premium package.

Thanks for letting me go on a moment, but I'm still curious why the Mac version doesn't export WMV straight out of the box.

• 8. Re: Export to WMV (or nearest similar type) on Mac OSX CS5
                        shooternz Level 6

MAC will do anything to keep it self proprietary!

It is digging  it self a huge hole and its guys like you that  are realising it... and coming over to the bright side.