13 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2010 11:04 AM by the_wine_snob

Working with Still Images in a Video

kdoc2 Level 1

Let's say I'd like to use a RAW still Image from my 40D Canon, which is 3888 x 2592, a 3:2 aspect ratio. I'm inserting it into a HD video, 720p, at a 16:9 ratio (1.0). I'd like to keep it large initially so I can pan or zoom in or out as desired. What's my workflow?: If I "Scale to Frame" it fits top to bottom but not laterally. If I show it in the monitor at 100%, it's much too large (but good for panning etc). How do you folks handle this, to work with the Ken Burns effects, keeping the frame aspect ratio correct, and keeping image quality good?

kdoc

• 1. Re: Working with Still Images in a Video
          dradeke Adobe Employee

For "Ken Burns" type pan and scan work you want to go into Premiere Pro preferences and deselect the scale to frame automatically.  Then the pictures will come in at full size and you can use the basic motion controls to manipulate the photos.

If the photos start to large on import, then use the scale command in the effects control panel to bring it down to a starting size that you're comfortable with.

I hope this answer helps.

Dennis

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Working with Still Images in a Video
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Both the quality and the overhead requirements will be improved if you Scale to what you need in the Sequence, based on its Frame Size. The best Scaling will come from PS. This ARTICLE will give you tips. Note: the sizes mentioned in the beginning are for an SD Project/Sequence, so just do the math.

When I need to do Pans on a Zoomed Out still, I just calculate what I will need, and Scale to that. In a normal Project, I might have 3 - 4 folders, with various sizes of stills. Most will match the Frame Size perfectly, then some a bit larger, and maybe some larger still. With Actions in PS, this is very easy to do, and to automate.

The Scaling algorithms are better in PS, than in PrPro, and one has more control on choosing the exact algorithm that treats THAT image the best.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Working with Still Images in a Video
              shooternz Level 6

Can you use RAW in PPRO?

• 4. Re: Working with Still Images in a Video
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Prior to CS5, I have never been able to. Since RAW means many different file formats, depending on the camera, updated versions of ACR are required to interpret it. ACR does not plug into PrPro, but into PS.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Working with Still Images in a Video
                  kdoc2 Level 1

That helps to a great extent: thanks Bill and everyone. A few thoughts and questions in follow up. I don't see under preferences anything about Scale to Frame Size (where is it in PrP/CS5?), but it does seem to come in by default not scaled. By right clicking the clip on the timeline on a PC I get the option to check or uncheck that possibility.

I also don't see Effects/Motion/Scale: where is that?

If I want to show my entire photo, as I originally worked it in Photoshop, I guess I need to then check Scale to Frame Size. And of course it doesn't fill the 16:9 aspect ratio laterally, even in landscape orientation, certainly not in portrait orientation. Do you leave it as is, with black margins, and/or do you crop to 16:9 in Photoshop before bringing it in the PrP to eliminate the black margins? (Bill has addressed this in his previous  post). I'm gathering that if you don't want any black to show, a 3:2 DSLR Image within on a High Def (say 1280x720) video requires cropping. Do you folks crop in PS when resizing--you can't batch that. I see that Bill sometimes puts a new background behind, to eliminate the black margins.

Where in PS do you set pixel aspect ratio: I can't find it, though I only looked in PSx64, and not in PS x32? Actually I don't think one needs to answer this in PrP CS5: the image seems to come into PrP with the correct aspect ratio--for my Canon 40D RAW images it comes in at 3888x2592 (1.0) if I'm editing for a 1280x720 HD DSLR. I can convert my image to a PSD file in PS as Bill suggests (TIFF will work too).

I'm thinking that the new CS5 with Mercury Playback and 64 bits may handle these larger RAW images fine--but time will tell.

I don't quite get what Scale to Frame Size does (it seems to keep the height at full frame, and the frame aspect ratio constrained). or (in the dropdown) Fit vs. 50% or 100% does? Is it changing the actual image dimensions or just those which show up on screen? For example, I made an image in PS exactly 1280 x720 and brought it into a PrP video project which was also 1280x720, but the image overlapped at 100%. It fit the frame perfectly at "Fit" (from the dropdown).???

Remember that in PS, you can handle both portrait and landscape images for resizing with File--Automate--Fit Image. Just use the largest of the two pixel dimensions for both height and width. Or use Image Processor.

Thanks all

kdoc

• 6. Re: Working with Still Images in a Video
                    Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> ACR does not plug into PrPro, but into PS.

... and After Effects. See this section: "Importing camera raw files with Camera Raw"

• 7. Re: Working with Still Images in a Video
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

With all Video and stills, there are fixed Effects. They are accessed from the Effects Control Panel (like you would, when you add an Effect). Go to Window>Effects Control Panel, if not open, Select the Video Clip, or still, and you will see Effect>Motion, that opens to Scale and Position. Those are the fixed Effects, along with Opacity.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Working with Still Images in a Video
                        Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> I also don't see Effects/Motion/Scale: where is that?

from "Motion: position, scale, and rotate a clip" :

"By default, each clip that you add to a Timeline panel has the Motion effect applied as a fixed effect. You can view and adjust the Motion effect properties in the Effect Controls panel by clicking the triangle next to the Motion name. Motion properties can be directly manipulated in the Program Monitor or using the controls in the Effect Controls panel."

That page also includes other information about scaling that might help with your other questions.

[EDIT: Hunt types faster than I do.]

• 9. Re: Working with Still Images in a Video
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

But you mentioned Rotation, and I did not! That saved me moments...

Hunt

• 10. Re: Working with Still Images in a Video
                            kdoc2 Level 1

Thanks re the motion effects. Concerning CS5 and RAW images, PrP cannot see a Canon CR2 file, but can see (open) a TIFF or a psd file--so they need to be converted.

kdoc

• 11. Re: Working with Still Images in a Video
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

It's the same with my NEF files from my Nikons. Also, I always do a bit of processing to the RAW files, so I already have them in PS, and just do two versions: one working PSD at full Color Mode and Image Size, and then one that has been Scaled. If I do not need any Layers in that second, the Flatten function is about the last (convert Color to 8-bit from 16-bit in my case) thing that my Action performs, and then I do a Save_As into a "Resized PSD's" folder.

Good luck to the OP,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Working with Still Images in a Video
                                kdoc2 Level 1

I'm noticing that 16:9 is a very weird aspect ratio to show most of still images. Do you find that you often convert your usual 3:2 images to 16:9 often, or do you prefer to leave them as is, and have black (or other background) margins showing? What seems to be the most aesthetic to you when you're combining 16:9 video and 3:2 images?

kdoc

• 13. Re: Working with Still Images in a Video
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

I will use a combo of methods, but the choice will be based on the image itself. Most often, I will Crop to 16:9, but if I have images that do not Crop well, or have verticals, I will keep them. This obviously means that I have either Pillar-boxing, or similar, OR, I will use something like in this ARTICLE.

Hope that this helps, and good luck,

Hunt