10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2010 9:24 AM by the_wine_snob

Premiere Elements 7: video/audio asynchronous in recorded HDV only in PrEl

Frank_Binko

I recorded five tapes with PrEl with my HDV camera (Sony HVR-HD1000E, european version) on my harddisk each as one large MPEG-2-file. I edited for hours and found that the audio increasingly did not match video in only one of the large files (about 3 sec. max; although the others are the same kind: HDV MPEG 1080i 25fps 48kHz) in preview, timeline and export.

I tried:

• Playback with VLC/Media Player Classic and Womble MPEG Video Wizard is okay in every test case until the end of the video file.
      • opened the file in a new HDV 1080i project but the same
      • re-record: First it seemed to be okay, but today I found it's the same again. No frame drops reported (option "report frame drops", translated from german, was active), too.
      • I tried to demux with ProjectX and PVAstrumento ("No System Header found"). Both programs canceled with errors. Squared 5 MPEG Streamclip says "warning: 8 data breaks"). Again successful demuxed with ProjectX says (translated german): "first video PTS starting later than last PTS in stream! Critical for synchronicity ... 11 frame(s) (264ms) added".
      • used MPEG2Repair: even worse results
      • re-record with HDVSplit: aborts every time at different timecodes because of frame drops
      • re-record with VLC (and conversion from m2t with MPEG Streamclip later to MPEG), same result: asynchronous only in PrEl

In the clip properties in PrEl audio source is "compressed" but audio project setting is "32-bit floating-point".

But I cannot change this (can I?). May be that's the problem?

I had several crashes during record: Visual C+ Runtime Error, suddenly began to play fast forward etc. but the

video files I use now had no interruptions.

Perhaps I should use another hardware to record, copy the miniDV tape ... But I've got no other hardware and my time is running away. Spend one day and a half on this.

Any ideas why only one file is asynchronous and only in PrEl?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 7: video/audio asynchronous in recorded HDV only in PrEl
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Did you use Premiere Elements to capture this video over FireWire? If not, what program did you use to capture the video?

Is your Premiere Elements project set up for HDV?

Is there a red line on your timeline above your clips? (There should not be, if your project is set up properly, until you apply an effect or transition.) If so, have you pressed Enter to render the timeline (the red lines will turn green) before playing back the video?

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 7: video/audio asynchronous in recorded HDV only in PrEl
            the_wine_snob Level 9

For the C++ Runtime Error, this Adobe KB Article might prove useful.

I'd download/install the great, free utility, G-SPOT and run the files through it. Look closely at the Audio CODEC. My guess is that it is a compressed MPEG. This form of Audio can cause OOS issues, and especially in Adobe programs. If this IS the case, I would use an audio-editor, like Adobe Audition, or the free Audacity, to rip the Audio from the muxed MPEG file, and then Save_As a PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit, and then Import that into PrE. Just Mute the muxed Audio stream (Audio 1 probably), and drag the WAV to Audio 2. Does this fix the OOS?

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Premiere Elements 7: video/audio asynchronous in recorded HDV only in PrEl
              Frank_Binko Level 1

Thanks again for your fast help!

Yes, I used PrEl over FireWire to capture. (Later I tested HDVSplit and VLC as described.)

My project is a HDV-project. There are no red lines above HDV-clips. But I use DV wide files in this project, too. They naturally got red lines but they are totally fine and all other HDV clips - except for this one tape I captured.

I think the Adobe KB article, thanks for that, is no use for me, because I had C++ Runtime Errors during capturing. I had no problems installing PrEl like this article describes. Or should I reinstall?

I used MediaInfo to look into the specs of the file: "MPEG Audio 384 Kbps 2 channels, 48.0 KHz". G-SPOT unfortunately does not show up with any video or audio info except for: "File Type: MPEG-2 Transport Stream, Mime Type: video/mp2t". Sure it is compressed, isn't it? That's what Premiere is recording.

I tried to open the audio of my MPEG in Audacity. But Audacity says it will last 1193046:21:06 hours. Too long for me. My file is about more than 11 GB. I guess Audacity will abort with a memory error as memory is increasing usage on and on. I had this problem before. But perhaps not ... I will test it.

Can I demux my MPEG and mux it again with uncompressed audio? (I don't think so.) I need the whole file in one because I already cut many clips out of the whole file and cannot sync every little clip with a part of a wav-file again.

Why is it that only one of five files got this problems? The others got the same audio type as MediaInfo says.

For anyone who wonders: OOS is "out of sync".

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 7: video/audio asynchronous in recorded HDV only in PrEl
                Frank_Binko Level 1

Audacity crashed with the MPEG file. But I opened a demuxed mpa-file and exported a wav-file. I put it under the video in PrEl. It's still OOS, but not that bad. The wav is 13 frames longer. Can't use that as a solution.

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 7: video/audio asynchronous in recorded HDV only in PrEl
                  Frank_Binko Level 1

I tried some more ways, e. g. "HDTV to MPEG2" (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=395744) to build a MPEG-PS. But it's asychronous, too.

So I gave up using HD video and downsized my video to SD, MJPEG AVI + PCM, with DGMPGDec + AVISynth + VirtualDub + ffdshow, interlacing first, then resizing.

(I also sucessfully tried XMediaRecode and AVIDemux, but my quality settings were best with that workflow. Had no success with VLC.)

Now I hoped I could replace the MPEG file with the AVI file as I renamed the MPEG and reopened my project PrEl is asking where the MPEG is. But that does not work. Thought too simple.

Is there a way replacing the MPEG file with the AVI so I don't lose my edits in the timeline?!

Perhaps this can't be done when it can't be done like in Premiere Pro either: http://premierepro.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ:How_do_I_replace_one_clip_with_another%3F?!

Perhaps I need to recode form AVI to MPEG? What a quality mess ...

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 7: video/audio asynchronous in recorded HDV only in PrEl
                    Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I'm not sure what's going on in your case, but you definitely don't want to combine different video formats in a Premiere Elements project. Only use

the video that the project has been set up for in your project.

For best results, convert all of your video sources to the same format before combining them in a project.

Doing otherwise can open a can of worms, and may or may not be at work in your issues.

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 7: video/audio asynchronous in recorded HDV only in PrEl
                      Frank_Binko Level 1

Thanks for your advice.

I've got both HDV 1080i and DV Wide videos in my HDV project. Because four out of five HDV MPEG are okay and DV video is okay in a HDV project (I did some tests) I thought it is okay. Otherwise I would have to downscale four large MPEGs to SD ...

But generally I agree to avoid problems.

Now the good news:

Apart from this suggestion I think I finally got a solution following Bill who suggested to decompress audio!

I tried to combine PCM audio exported with PrEl with MPEG video in PrEl and reload the new PCM-MPEG file in PrEl and it worked, audio is synchron!

Thanks Bill!

I had crashed while PrEl was "equalizing" (don't know if that is the right translation; it's what PrEl does after loading a new MPEG file, after indexing ... must be normalizing of audio?). I loaded the file in a another project, waited for the "equalization" and imported the file sucessfully in my orginial project.

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 7: video/audio asynchronous in recorded HDV only in PrEl
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Glad that the PCM/WAV Audio is working for you.

When one Imports an MPEG (which is GOP - Group of Pictures), three things happen: the file is Indexed, which is basically getting complete I-Frames, for frame-accurate editing from the GOP; the Audio is Conformed, which is the conversion to 32-bit floating-point, for accurate editing, and then the PEK (Waveform Display) generation. The last two, happen with all Imported Assets w/ Audio, and are basically done at the same time, so you will see Indexing, and Conforming only (CFA and PEK generation are simultaneous, or appear so to the user).

For more info on GOP, see this ARTICLE.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 7: video/audio asynchronous in recorded HDV only in PrEl
                          Frank_Binko Level 1

Thanks for your informations! Really good to understand. I looked at the GOP thing before so I think I basically understand.

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 7: video/audio asynchronous in recorded HDV only in PrEl
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Great! At first blush, GOP is an abstract concept. Most users encounter that footage, after it has been converted to full I-frame, so that it is not visually evident. Once one understands what has happened with a GOP format/CODEC encode, it becomes clear.

Though I cannot locate the little story on-line, Jim Taylor, one of the people responsible for the DVD-specs, and author of DVD Demystified, explains things with his "birds on a telephone" analogy. I have it in his book, but have not found it on the Internet - only references to it. This is my PARAPHRASE - apologies to Mr. Taylor, who says it much better.

Good luck,

Hunt