6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2010 9:06 AM by llaferte

New to Adobe After Effects (CS4)

llaferte Level 1

I'm relatively new to AE and have a very basic question:  Can After Effects import and work with long files - 1+ hours or more?

I have always thought of AE as a tool for small clips less than 10min. but I'm new to this and really do not know.

I am working on a research project with Harvard University and the University of Michigan.  They are studying educational practices in classrooms around the country.  These "observations" are conducted remotely using a Web Interfaced Camera.  The files I am being given are lower quality ASF files. 

In some cases the identity of certain students must be masked - I can do this work in Premiere Pro.  In other cases the entire video needs an "identity concealing" treatment - these are the files I'm hoping to edit within AE.  I'm looking at using Toonit's Rotoscoping filter for this.  When I use Toonit in PPro it is a very slow (many hours) process.

Also, any advise on working with ASF files would be very helpful.

• 1. Re: New to Adobe After Effects (CS4)
          llaferte Level 1

I forgot to mention the file details:

352 x 240 (1.0)

7980+01, 30.00 fps

8000 Hz - 16-bit - Mono

I do not know what all of this means like "7980+01" - not a clue.

• 2. Re: New to Adobe After Effects (CS4)
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> I'm relatively new to AE and have a very basic question:  Can After Effects import and work with long files - 1+ hours or more?

Yes.

>  I'm looking at using Toonit's Rotoscoping filter for this.

Why? This is very basic work that can be done in After Effects with no additional software.

For each shot, use motion tracking on a person's face, apply that motion-tracking data to a solid layer, use that layer as an adjustment layer, and apply the Mosaic effect to the adjustment layer. This gives you a rectangular blocky/pixelated region over the person's face. If you want to be more refined, you can draw a mask on the adjustment layer to match the shape of the face and get into more detailed rotoscoping.

If you were using After Effects CS5, I'd recommend using Roto Brush to do much the same thing.

• 3. Re: New to Adobe After Effects (CS4)
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

BTW, I recommend that anyone new to After Effects start here.

• 4. Re: New to Adobe After Effects (CS4)
                llaferte Level 1

Thanks.  I am familiar with the process of masking an individual student with PPro using a duplicate video file with the Mosaic Filter applied and a trackmatte.  This may not be the most elegant method but I'm used to it.  But, I will look into the method you describe.  I would love to learn more about AE.  I have completed several tutorials and read quite a bit - but I'm still on shaky feet when I use it.

I'm looking to AE for the cases where I need to obscure the identity of everyone in the classroom, yet preserve the clarity of who's who (Teacher, Students, Teacher's Aid, etc.).  I tried applying an off-the-shelf filter like PaintDaubs or something like that but it obscured too much detail, or I had to constantly adjust the filter settings when a child moved very close or far away from the camera.  When I use Toonit in PPro I achieve the results I want, but when exporting the project and compressing it using Adobe Media Encoder I get time estimates like 65+ hours.  I'm hoping AE will speed this process.

You mentioned CS5 - I have not purchased it yet, but understand it is fine tuned for multi processors and GPU.  I am using a PC and Win7 64bit with two Quad Processors and an Nvidia QuadroCX graphics card.  Might CS5 applications speed the speed the processing time?

• 5. Re: New to Adobe After Effects (CS4)
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> Might CS5 applications speed the speed the processing time?

Yes. Performance improvements are a major part of both Premiere Pro CS5 and After Effects CS5.

• 6. Re: New to Adobe After Effects (CS4)
                    llaferte Level 1

Ok, thanks.  This is just the push I needed to take the CS5 leap.