18 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2010 1:18 PM by Harm Millaard

Video/audio & audio will not play in real time

Richard Lundgren

HELP PLEASE!!

PP CS5. My problem:

Video w/ audio and audio clips will import and can be moved around in usual fashion, however, I am unable to get real time playback for any duration greater than 20 sec. These assets will scrub in the preview, viewer and timeline but will not play if pressing either spacebar or play button. Currentlu I have version 5.0.1 and running on a MacBook Pro with a 2.8 Gb HD, 6 Gb RAM and running OS X.6.4. AM I missing something in the setup? No Assets, my own or those pulled from artbeats or Lyndia.com tutorials will play.

Thank you Adobe community.

• 1. Re: Video/audio & audio will not play in real time
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Can you please tell us more about your Sequence, your source footage, and also the full specs. of your MB, including the I/O?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Video/audio & audio will not play in real time
            Richard Lundgren Level 1

Well my sequence has been many. I have restarted PP CS5 many times, new project and new sequence. This is not a problem with a given sequence but a global issue I'm having. Source footage has been either downloaded from Lynda.com or my own which is either AVI., MOD., or apple intermediary codec.

As for my system here are some details but I do not know what or where I/O's are to be found:

Hitachi HTS545050B9SA02:

Capacity: 500.11 GB (500,107,862,016 bytes)

Model: Hitachi HTS545050B9SA02                

Revision: PB4AC60T

Serial Number: 100225PBS400B7GD121L

Native Command Queuing: Yes

Queue Depth: 32

Removable Media: No

Detachable Drive: No

BSD Name: disk0

Rotational Rate: 5400

Medium Type: Rotational

Partition Map Type: GPT (GUID Partition Table)

S.M.A.R.T. status: Verified

Volumes:

Macintosh HD:

Capacity: 499.76 GB (499,763,888,128 bytes)

Available: 303.19 GB (303,185,477,632 bytes)

Writable: Yes

File System: Journaled HFS+

BSD Name: disk0s2

Mount Point: /

Capacity: 500.11 GB (500,107,862,016 bytes)

Model: Hitachi HTS545050B9SA02                

Revision: PB4AC60T

Serial Number: 100225PBS400B7GD121L

Native Command Queuing: Yes

Queue Depth: 32

Removable Media: No

Detachable Drive: No

BSD Name: disk0

Rotational Rate: 5400

Medium Type: Rotational

Partition Map Type: GPT (GUID Partition Table)

S.M.A.R.T. status: Verified

Volumes:

Macintosh HD:

Capacity: 499.76 GB (499,763,888,128 bytes)

Available: 303.19 GB (303,185,477,632 bytes)

Writable: Yes

File System: Journaled HFS+

BSD Name: disk0s2

Mount Point: /

NVIDIA GeForce 9400M:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M

Type: GPU

Bus: PCI

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0863

Revision ID: 0x00b1

ROM Revision: 3448

gMux Version: 1.8.8

Displays:

Display Connector:

Display Connector:

NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 512 MB

Device ID: 0x0647

Revision ID: 0x00a1

Displays:

Color LCD:

Resolution: 1440 x 900

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Built-In: Yes

Display Connector:

Thanks for your assistance.

-R

• 3. Re: Video/audio & audio will not play in real time
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Considering that the ID's are the same, does this mean that you have a single, 5400 RPM internal HDD?

If so, you will likely never get RT playback, as at least 2x physical HDD's at 7200 RPM will be required.

If I misread, please correct me.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Video/audio & audio will not play in real time
                Richard Lundgren Level 1

1) Maybe RT playback is the wrong phrase. I cannot get any asset to play beyond 20 frames or so. If I continue to hit the s-bar or play key it will advance a bit and then either go back to beginning or play several more frames and bind up again. It will not play for no more than 20 frames of time. Will the lack of a 7200rpm drive cause this behavior?. As you can see I working w/ a 5400rpm.

2) My experience has been FCP. These behaviors do not occur with this program, however, I'm really wanting to give CS5 100% chance. While working on this laptop will it be possible to utilize the PP CS5 or am I looking a dropping several K's to get a Mac desktop which can handle the program's requirements?

Agani much thanks for your insight and time.

-R

• 5. Re: Video/audio & audio will not play in real time
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Richard,

Look at Adobe Premiere Pro CS5: System Requirements

These are minimum requirements to be able to install the program, but not enough to use it. In the past the disk requirements stated: A DEDICATED 7200 RPM disk (notice that this single word is now missing).

For anything resembling a bare minimum for editing at least two 7200 RPM (e)SATA disks are required and better three.

In your case a single 5400 disk, that is filled to around 2/3-rds is too slow to begin with and now also suffers from the fill rate, which slows it down even further.

• 6. Re: Video/audio & audio will not play in real time
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Harm,

Welcome back! Glad that the log-in got sorted - finally.

Hunt

• 7. Re: Video/audio & audio will not play in real time
                      Richard Lundgren Level 1

Harm,

Thank you for the info. "Dedicated" would have been nice to know. So my next

question is, since I'm dealing with a laptop which is not easily expandable,

would it be possible to upgrade the internal HD to a 7200rpm disc or better

yet a solid-state drive (which claim to have even faster processing rates)

with the addition of a dedicated external drive or could I set this up to

run on a bank of 7200rpm external drives? I'm not a computer whiz so I'm not

sure this is at all possible but it seems that it might be.

Thanks for all your expertise.

-R

• 8. Re: Video/audio & audio will not play in real time
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Richard,

The limiting factor might be the controller type in the laptop. If it's SATA, then I would upgrade the internal HDD to 7200 RPM and probably a bit more room. Not many laptops have room for multiple HDD's, so you are probably out of luck there.

My suggestion would be to look into adding eSATA via an ExpressCard, and plug in two eSATA externals. They will be almost as good as having SATA internals (you could probably benchmark the differences, but will likely not see them in the real world).

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Video/audio & audio will not play in real time
                          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Here's what I use:

http://oyendigital.com/hard-drives/store/EN2-72-500-M.html

It's been great, and it's survived multiple ocean crossings in my laptop bag.

-Jeff

PS - I can power the drive from 2 of my USB ports as well as the included AC adapter, but I only use that in an emergency.  Like when I've forgotten the proper plug adapter for the country I'm visiting.

• 10. Re: Video/audio & audio will not play in real time
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Jeff,

That is one neat drive. I like the USB power (so long as one has a hefty battery, or uses AC mains).

Does your laptop have an eSATA port, or do you just use an eSATA ExpressCard? Any brand that you like for the OP?

Thanks,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Video/audio & audio will not play in real time
                              Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

My laptop has an eSATA port that can also double as a USB port (very cool).

-Jeff

• 12. Re: Video/audio & audio will not play in real time
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Dang, I was still thinking that my Sager was

PS "pretty special," but now it seems like "chopped liver."

Thanks for the info,

Hunt

PS - for next laptop, I will be looking for both eSATA and FW-800 capabilities, as I am still so heavily invested in those, but want to add eSATA capabilities too. The workstation will not be an issue, as I will just add the necessary cards. The laptop might require me to swap out ExpressCards, unless I can get one with both ExpressCard slot AND an eSATA connection built-in.

• 13. Re: Video/audio & audio will not play in real time
                                  Richard Lundgren Level 1

Bill & all those assisting,

Am I such a Noob that maybe I just don't see the bigger picture (no pun

intended, although it is fitting)?  All I want to do is get PP to work w/o

severe glitches. I'm not in it for business or mass production so rendering

time is not as critical to me as it may be for others. I like the feel and

user-friendly'ness of PP CS5 compared to FCP and I'm committed to switching

over if I can just get it to work.

So yes- my drive is a SATA and is upgradeable to 7200rpm. I have 2 USB ports

and a FW800 port. I'm not sure if I have e-SATA compatibility (not sure if I

really know what that is either- maybe external SATA?).

Regarding externals and the thingy posted by Jeff. I do have 2 1 Tb external

HD's (not sure what speed). I use them mostly for back up and asset storage.

It seems that I am just using them as containers and not to assist in

processing.

So, how does one put it all together?  Meaning how do I use these drives to

increase the total processing power needed to get PP CS5 to work properly?

There must be something I need to set up or do?

Thank you all for your time.

• 14. Re: Video/audio & audio will not play in real time
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Richard,

Those existing externals might, or might not, improve things. If they are FW-800 minimum, you should be OK, so long as they are 7200 RPM. I would still upgrade the computer's internal to 7200 RPM too.

Unless your computer came with eSATA, like Jeff's did, you will need to add a controller card (either ExpressCard, or PCMCIA) to attach that type of external.

Now, I edit to/from FW-800's, though my laptop has 3x SATA internals. I do this to migrate my Projects from the laptop to the workstation. In my setup, the media, Project and Scratch Disks are all on the FW-800. This is not ideal from a pure performance standpoint, as things would be faster if I split the media and the Projects & Scratch Disks to separate physical HDD's.

If you add eSATA externals, things should be fine.

The ideal setup would be something like this (for either internals or with eSATA):

C:\ OS, program and probably Virtual Memory (does Mac do this?)

D:\ Projects and their Scratch Disks

E:\ Media

As stated above, my allocation combines what I have listed as D:\ & E:\, but with good reason.

Hope that helps, and good luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: Video/audio & audio will not play in real time
                                      Richard Lundgren Level 1

So, Adobe tech support says my current system is adequate to run PP CS5.

Although I'm still having only 20 or so frames of playback of any asset.

Although Adobe was some what helpful I cannot believe they are correct on

this issue. Do you guys really believe that the lack of a 7200rpm drive is

the cause of my problems? Could it be a less than adequate video card? Could

it be some setting somewhere in either the computer or the program which

cause this behaviour? I set up a new user profile to get new permissions

(per Adobe's suggestion) and had same results.

I will gladly upgrade my HD to 7200rpm but I want to be near certain this is

the fix.

Thoughts?. And again thank you all!!

• 16. Re: Video/audio & audio will not play in real time
                                        Harm Millaard Level 7

If your car does not start and you find the battery missing, what is your first idea? Right, install a battery. Is that guaranteed to work? No. You may have an empty fuel tank as well, you may have a defunct fuel pump, etc.

With all the lacking details, one starts with the obvious.

• 17. Re: Video/audio & audio will not play in real time
                                          Richard Lundgren Level 1

Fair analogy. Agreed.

Any thoughts regarding video card? Here are my specs. My apologies if this

info is redundant.

NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 512 MB

Device ID: 0x0647

Revision ID: 0x00a1

I read some where that there are hacks to bypass some of the Adobe/ Nvidia

firmware which would make inferior cards work with CS5. See this:

http://www.indiev.org/?p=308

As a Noob I'm not sure if this applies to me nor how to find the *

Premiere CS5 installation folder

*or the *

GPUSniffer.exe

*in a Mac System.  Anybody have any ideas? I'm trying to be thorough and

make any free fix I can.

• 18. Re: Video/audio & audio will not play in real time
                                            Harm Millaard Level 7

Your video card does not have sufficient memory to apply the hack, apart from the fact that it may only be applicable to PC's, not MAC's.

I don't know enough about MAC's to help you here, but in the PC world, I would need to know more about services and processes running, that steal CPU cycles and use memory, both of which are needed sorely when editing.