6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2010 2:42 AM by nealeh

Problems Editing .m2t Files on Elements 7

crimsonsin

I am having issues editing .m2t files on Elements 7. Playback is jerky, and the video exceeds the audio, almost as if I added slow motion to the file. The files also take a very long time to process, even on files that are around 100mb. These files were converted from .mts using AVCHD Upshift from NewBlue VASST. Playback in Windows Media Player 10 or VLC is flawless. The funny thing is, when I used a trial version of AVCHD Upshift, the .m2t files worked like a dream in Elements, which prompted me to buy the software. I even uploaded test footage to Youtube from the trial converted videos here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcrbunS8la4

Here are my system specs:

Processor: AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core Processor 5200+ 2.70 GHz

Internal Memory: 4 GB

Operating System: Windows 7 32bit Home Edition

Eternal Hard Drive (where files are stored): Seagate FreeAgent 1.5 TB

Internal Hard Drive: Samsung HD501LJ ATA 465 GB

Videocard: Gforce 9800 GT

Any help will be appreciated. Thanx!

-Roger

• 1. Re: Problems Editing .m2t Files on Elements 7
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What specs did you convert the file from and to in AVCHD Upshift?

Is your Premiere Elements project set up to those exact specs?

When you place you clips on the timeline, is there a red line above them? If so, have you rendered the timeline by pressing Enter so that this line turns green before playing back the video?

• 2. Re: Problems Editing .m2t Files on Elements 7
            crimsonsin Level 1

The videos are converted with the following specs:

Bitrate: 50mbps

Bitrate control: constant

Keyframe: 1

GOP Size: 1

Interlace: Copy From Input

When I set-up my Elements project, I use the HD 1080i 30 pre-set found in the NTSC, Hard Disk folder.

I have tried rendering the work area, but for a 20 second clip, rendering takes upwards of 15 minutes, and that's if Windoes doesn't prompt me that the program is not responding and needs to be shut down.

Thank you for your response!

• 3. Re: Problems Editing .m2t Files on Elements 7
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Roger,

Is the external figuring into the I/O scheme with editing? What is the connection type for this external?

Going to your reply to Steve, if you happen to be using the external in the mix, and it is USB, that will slow things down considerably. Now, I have found that FW-800 does a good job in the editing workflow. Also, eSATA will be even better. USB is horribly slow, and can be prone to errors, FW-400 is more stable, but still slow, FW-800 does a good job, and eSATA is almost as good as having SATA internals.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Problems Editing .m2t Files on Elements 7
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Sorry, but I"m not getting any insight from those specs. I'm not sure what type of file they're producing.

And I'm not clear if you're using an HDV or AVCHD project preset in Premiere Elements.

If you're using the HDV project settings with true HDV video files, you should not need to render the timeline and you should have no red lines above your clips when you add them to your timeline.

So I'm not going to be able to help you. Maybe Hunt has some insight.

• 5. Re: Problems Editing .m2t Files on Elements 7
                  crimsonsin Level 1

Hmmm, this just got even more confusing.

At first, I tried relocating my files from my external to my internal as it is a USB, and that worked. However, after saving the project, closing it, and opening back up some time later, the project took an abnormally long time to load. Then, with only one short video in the work area (again, an AVCHD video, .m2t at 300mb in size), the program came to a halt trying to conform it.

I am a bit of a novice with video editing, and previously only edited with miniDV, which was pretty straight forward. If there is any further information you need to help you help me with my problem, please let me know how to find it and I'll gladly post it here. I am working on an important project at the moment so any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much

• 6. Re: Problems Editing .m2t Files on Elements 7
                    nealeh Level 5

How much contiguous free space do you have on those drives?

Some basics:

• Install all Windows updates
                    • Install latest version of QuickTime (v7.6.6 at time of writing)
                    • Install most recent graphics and sound drivers from the manufacturers web sites
                    • Run Disk Cleanup
                    • Run Defragmenter
                    • Post back here with the necessary information described here: Got a Problem? How to Get Started

Cheers,
                    --
                    Neale
                    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children