4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2010 1:48 AM by LemanRus

Event Class

LemanRus

Pardon my newbie ness

I'm trying to understand what the relevance of "onSubmit" has in the declaration

public static const USER_FORM_SUBMIT:String = "onSubmit";

Many Thanks

LeMan

• 1. Re: Event Class
          BhaskerChari Level 4

Hi LeMan,

Your question is not fully clear...can you please elaborate..??

Thanks,

Bhasker

• 2. Re: Event Class
            Bogdan Manate

Hello LeMan

You can in that declaration any string you want, but you must be sure that

your class doesn't dispatch an event with the same type. Here is an exemple.

If you have a class extened from event and you have many declarations like

these:

public static const FORM_RESET:String = "form"; // wrong

public static const FORM_SUBMIT:String = "form"; // wrong the if you

dispatch an event of type FORM_SUBMIT the event listeners added to

FORM_RESET will also catch the event.

public static const FORM_VALIDATE:String = "formValidate";

I hope I was very clear, if not you can post a new question.

• 3. Re: Event Class
              BhaskerChari Level 4

I dont think this is the real significane of decalring the static constants in the Event class...

There is no question of decalring the same srting value with two different constants...

The main and real purpose of declaring the static constants in Event class to avoid typos when you dispatch the events...

If you do not specify the static constant in the Event class then you need to manually type the string for event type and dispatch the event...However

if you specify the static constant you can directly use the static constant by referencing the Event class name there by avoiding the typos and dispatching the

correct event to be handled..

If you make typos in dispatching your event then there is no question of handling the event correctly..

dispatchEvent(new EventClass(EventClass.USER_FORM_SUBMIT));// correct and good approach

dispatchEvent(new EventClass("onSubmit"));// correct but not a good approach

Thanks,

Bhasker Chari

• 4. Re: Event Class
                LemanRus Level 1

Thank you

Bogdan Manate and

BhaskerChari. After writing the request it kind of dawned on me but you guys have nailed it down.

Cheers!