9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2010 7:05 AM by ECBowen

New Build for CS5 - Ireland

Ian_T07

Greetings from Ireland, on my first post -

My current system includes a Matrox RT.X2, which has given up the chase (4 years old). RMA will cost 500+ Euros. I was already thinking of going to CS5 and now the RTX has quit on me, it seems like a good time to move forward. Matrox seem to have diverted all of their attention to the MX02 and with Mercury arriving, the RTX looks destined for redundancy anyway?

I am looking to put together a new build to go with the upgrade to CS5. The main use will be After Effects and Premiere. So far I have the following suggested config and would welcome any thoughts anyone might care to add.

Case - Cooolermaster HAF X Full Tower

Power - Coolermaster Silentpro Modular 1000w

Mobo - Asus P6X58D-E

CPU - Intel i7 (6 core) Gulftown

Mem - Corsair XMS3 DDR3 (3x4gb) x2 to give 24gb total

Sys Drive - 300gb Western Digital Velociraptor 10k

Internal drives - 1tb Western Digital SATA 6 (x3)

Optical - Pioneer BDR-205 12x Blue Ray writer

Op Sys - Windows 7 Pro

Matrox MX02 Mini with Max

Dell U2711 27" monitor, and finally

Graphics - either, Nvidia Quadro 4000 or Asus GTX 480

The graphics card is last on the list, as this is the area of most uncertainty - which is the better solution? Like us all, I want to max the futture-proofing and therefore the price difference (for the graphics card) isn't as crucial as making sure the longer term is served best. My old system did its job for 4 years, an eternity in today's technology. Will Adobe certify these cards and when?

Will I need additional case cooling and if so what?

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Slainte

• 1. Re: New Build for CS5 - Ireland
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Slainte,

For the video card, the GTX 480 is by far the better and more economical choice. More cores and wider memory bus and less than half the price of a Quadro 4000.

If and when Adobe certifies these cards will remain obscure until the announcement by Adobe, but you can use the 'Hack' to make them work. Many are using the GTX 480 with the hack without any problems. The 'Hack' consists of a slight modification of the C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS5\cuda_supported_cards.txt file to include the name of your video card, like "GeForce GTX 480" without the quotes.

For cooling look at a third party CPU cooler. You will find many answers to these questions in several articles when you go to the home page of the Hardware forum, click Overview and select the article of interest from the drop down list.

• 2. Re: New Build for CS5 - Ireland
            Ian_T07 Level 1

Harm

I've read a number of posts/articles and I'll check out more, as you suggest. Your speed of response is hugely appreciated. Is there anything else in the config I should be thinking about, making After Effects zing is what its mainly all about.

Thanks a million

Ian

• 3. Re: New Build for CS5 - Ireland
              ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Looks solid. Definitely go with the 480GX over the Quadro. Also for the price of the Raptor OS drive, I would start looking at SSD's. Raptors are great for raid arrays but pricey for an OS drive when SSD's are a better investment for the money unless you need the size of a Raptor on your OS. Otherwise I would just get a 1TB 64 Meg Cache drive for the OS.

Eric

ADK

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: New Build for CS5 - Ireland
                Ian_T07 Level 1

Thanks Eric -

given the apps in use will be; Adobe Production Premium, along with the ususal plugins and audio tools - Soundforge, Audition, and that's about it, which SSD should I be looking at?

Whilst I'm on, and having just read a number of adverse forum comments on Matrox (I would say, my experience with them over the last 4 years hasn't exactly been plain sailing either) is the Mini Max the right solution? I need the ability to capture analogue sources and also from firewire enabled 'tape' cameras. Monitoring Premiere edits on an HD TV is imperative (the RT.X2 also gave After Effects output onto the TV monitor).

Thanks for any further thoughts.

• 5. Re: New Build for CS5 - Ireland

I would start with this one. You can go 240GB on the Callisto's but those are expensive

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226152&cm_re=Mushkin_SSD-_-20-226 -152-_-Product

The Matrox MXO2 mini should be fine for that. You don't have to have the Max plugin unless the majority of your delivery will be H264 whether Web or Blue Ray. I do know that some broadcast stations are taking H264 files as well. Those are letting their client's upload the finished media.

Eric

ADK

• 6. Re: New Build for CS5 - Ireland
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

SSD's are attractive in notebooks. but on editing desktops, they do not generally contribute anything to performance. Instead of a $ 200+ SSD, I would rather have 3 or 4 additional 1 TB drives, that do impact performance measurably.

Consider a 80 GB € 210 SSD versus 4 x 1 TB  @ € 53, total € 212 in raid0. The raid is way faster than the SSD, offers 50 times the storage capacity at the same cost.

• 7. Re: New Build for CS5 - Ireland
                      Ian_T07 Level 1

I have read the posts re "Raid or not to Raid" and also the "Generic guideline on disk set up". Would someone be good enough to encapsulate those message into a simple (necessary for me) suggestion on my proposed disk set up? I will have a Corsair SSD for the os and apps and then there will be 4x WD 1TB Sata 6gb drives, together with an external 1tb Sata2 drive (this is not new and holds a variety of stuff, library footage, intro sequences, generic titles, music etc). I also have a couple of 320gb Sata 2 disks with library footage, which would be useful in the HAF tower.

There are 2xSata 3 and 6xSata 2 connections on the Asus mobo. I assume the SSD would occupy one Sata3, the E-Sata and the DVD/Bluray would take 2 of the sata 2 connections, leaving 4x Sata 2 for the 4xWD drives and nowhere for the 320gb disks to connect?

The Asus manual gives the options of Raid 0, 1, 5 or 10, via the onboard controller? Advice on the best set up from here would be greatly appreciated.

In my original post I included a Matrox Mini, in the spec. I am wondering can I dispense with this and use the HDMI out from the GTX480, for real time HD TV monitoring (with the 480's DVI output going to the Dell monitor) and then use a cam as a firewrire throughput device to capture analogue material which, no doubt, will be necessary from time to time?

Thanks a million for any assistance.

• 8. Re: New Build for CS5 - Ireland
                        RDA972 Level 3

You can always send the PPro timeline to a second monitor via HDMI or DVI depending on your graphics card's port(s) but you won't get high quality output. For that, you need dedicated cards such as Matrox, AJA or BlackMagic make.

It's up to you to decide if your graphics card's HDMI connection is good enough.

• 9. Re: New Build for CS5 - Ireland

Not necessarily. There are many factors to consider with this. The one advantage I/O cards will often give you is 10 or 12 bit color although even that is changing. The Displayport on the Quadro cards support 10bit color and HDMI 1.3 or 1.4 standard support 10 bit color. You just have to have the display that supports it with that connectivity. If it's an HDMI display then you have to make sure that it has a 1.3 HDMI port. I recently had a client calling different Plasma  TV manufacturers asking what HDMI standard they use and if they support Deep Color on specific models. Many Plasmas that are relatively new did not have 1.3 HDMI ports and did not. This means research your displays often. The other factor when deciding this has to do with wether an editor is mostly working with interlaced or progressive material. Although once again there are work around's for this like using Plasma TV's for monitoring Interlaced material. I have not been very impressed with most of the interpolation on the I/O cards atleast when going from Interlaced to progressive. It might have to do with Adobe more than the hardware but either way the lines are very noticeable. If you are working mostly progressive then the Video card quality is just as good as the I/O cards depending on the color supported.

Eric

ADK