8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2010 8:40 AM by the_wine_snob

Constant Crashing In premiere elements 8

Jonnytrekkie93

Hi I have been using premiere now for almost 5 months, I have tried everything but this got me nowhere. I love the suite except it keeps crashing, some times it will last 15 minutes then crash other times only a couple of minutes. It is really annoying whilsttrying to work. My pc passes the requierements by adobe and i am only editing dv quality.

My pc spec is:

Acer t180

Cpu- Amd 3600+ x2 1.9ghz

Gpu- On board graphics nvidia 6100 n405

Ram- 2gb (2x 1024) at 800 mhz

HDD- 160gb sata 2 + 320 gb sata 2

OS- Windows Vista home basic

If there is anything that needs updating please tell me and I shall update it. I have already installed all driver updates, including the new premiere one. I just wanna get this problem fixed.

• 1. Re: Constant Crashing In premiere elements 8
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Assuming you've downloaded the 8.01 patch for the program, the chief cause for problems with this program is related to the source video. What type of camcorder did your video come from and how did you get it into your computer? Which Premiere Elements project preset are you using?

Is there a red line above your clips on your timeline? If so, do you regularly render your video (pressing the Enter key) so that this red line turns green?

Have you gone to the ATI or nVidia web sites and downloaded the latest driver for your video card?

Do you have the latest version of Quicktime?

Is your second hard drive formatted NTFS rather than FAT32?

• 2. Re: Constant Crashing In premiere elements 8
            the_wine_snob Level 9

With the "on-board graphics," it is most likely going to be a driver from Intel, or the computer mfgr's. site. Intel makes great chips, but their driver support is almost non-existent. Many users find that the only way around this is to add a video card (provided that this is not a laptop), and just disconnect the on-board graphics chip in either the BIOS Setup, or via jumpers/switches on the MoBo.

Intel on-board graphics are OK for general computing, but with video editing, there is greater interaction between the editing program and video driver, and hence the problem.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Constant Crashing In premiere elements 8
              Jonnytrekkie93 Level 1

My camcorder is a samsung mini dv and i used a firewire cable connected to a pci port firewire port.

Theres always a red line as to render the wholoe video would take a long time to do.

I have gone to nvidia and updated all my video drivers.

I have quick time 7 and my hard drive is fat32

• 4. Re: Constant Crashing In premiere elements 8
                nealeh Level 5

Jonnytrekkie93 wrote:

My camcorder is a samsung mini dv and i used a firewire cable connected to a pci port firewire port.

Theres always a red line as to render the wholoe video would take a long time to do.

Mini DV is PRE's preferred format. As you say you are getting redlines on all the clips, then you must have selected the incorrect Project Preset. In the new project dialog choose DV Standard or DV-Widescreen (whichever matches your camera format).

Jonnytrekkie93 wrote:

I have gone to nvidia and updated all my video drivers.

I have quick time 7 and my hard drive is fat32

You should also update your audio drivers and install all windows updates. QuickTime should be v7.6.6 - if it isn't update it from Apple (7.6.3 and 7.6.4 caused big problems with PRE).

You should convert your disks to NTFS. FAT32 is not good for PRE. Here's how: How to convert a FAT16 volume or a FAT32 volume to an NTFS file ...

Cheers,
                --
                Neale
                Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 5. Re: Constant Crashing In premiere elements 8
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

My feelings exactly, Neale!

If you're capturing miniDV over FireWire and you're using the DV project setting for Premiere Elements, you should NOT be seeing a red line above your clips on your timeline.

You have a project setting mismatch -- which may or may not be at the core of your problems, but certainly is cause for concern and coudl be contributing to them.

• 6. Re: Constant Crashing In premiere elements 8
                    freethedata Level 1

I tried every suggestion to prevent crashing when exporting a video, but nothing worked, until I tried this:

Cut your video into scenes of 10 minutes or so, and save each scene to the computer as an AVI file.  Then open a new project and reassemble each AVI file back into the movie.  Finally, export the movie to disc.  It is much more labor intensive, but at least the constant crashing stopped.

But I would like some suggestions as to what would be the best format for this intermediate file, assuming the source in MPEG2.  Should it be AVI, or keep it in MPEG2, or maybe WMV?

• 7. Re: Constant Crashing In premiere elements 8
                      nealeh Level 5

Stick with DV-AVI Type 2. This is the perfect format for PRE. MPEG and WMV will compress the footage whereas DV-AVI is (almost) lossless.

Cheers,
                      --
                      Neale
                      Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 8. Re: Constant Crashing In premiere elements 8
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

This might indicate that your system is running out of resources with the larger Project. This ARTICLE might offer you some tips. This ARTICLE will give you tips and background on Windows Virtual Memory. If one still encounters crashes, or hangs, this ARTICLE might help in troubleshooting the causes.

As for the intermediate files, I also agree with the suggestion to use DV-AVI Type II files w/ 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV Audio. Those are very lightly compressed and edit very smoothly.

Another option would be the Lagarith Lossless CODEC. It is free, fairly quick and works perfectly in PrE*, or PrPro. One accesses it by Export/Share and choosing Microsoft AVI, then the Lagarith from the CODEC drop-down list.

Good luck,

Hunt

* I've tested it extensively in PrE 4, so would assume that when properly installed on one's system, would work in all later versions, but have not tested it in PrE 7, or PrE 8.