5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 27, 2010 1:42 PM by RchrdG

Premiere Pro CS5 and DVCPro HD

RchrdG

I see in the features that DVCProHD is now supported by CS5 in a much broader way than before. If I have several DVCProHD mov files can I edit them natively in CS5 on either Mac and Windows?

We have a mixed OS environment in our shop with many more Premiere licenses than Final Cut ones. I know in the past if you had Final Cut Pro installed, it enabled any app that used QuickTime to work with DVCProHD footage but on the Windows side you would still need a third party plugin. Is that still the case?

• 1. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 and DVCPro HD
          Colin Brougham Level 6

... on the Windows side you would still need a third party plugin. Is that still the case?

Nope!

If I have several DVCProHD mov files can I edit them natively in CS5 on either Mac and Windows?

Yep! I discovered this quite by accident; I hadn't read about it anywhere, so it was a really nice surprise to find that both DVCPRO50 and DVCPROHD QuickTime MOVs will play in Premiere Pro CS5 without any additional third-party plugins. I'm referring to Windows, as that's what I use, but I assume the same is true on Mac even if FCP is not concurrently installed. This is a really great feature for those of us who have to work cross-platform with this particular codec and format.

I haven't tested this in After Effects (hadn't thought to until now), but I do know that it DOESN'T work in Bridge; DVCPRO50/HD QTs just show up as white blocks in Bridge (though you can hear the audio). Another interesting thing is that you can actually encode to DVCPROHD QuickTimes from AME, further facilitating cross-platforming.

EDIT: Just checked... AE does indeed import the DVCPROHD QuickTimes. Cool.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 and DVCPro HD
            sipey

Question for you both:  We still edit on one system using CS3, and have been shooting HD from Sony XDCAM EX-1.  I edit using Matrox Axio LE boards, and make my storyboard 720p 60fps.  Edits without renders, sees the MP4 file extension no problem.  But we have a producer that wants the final product exported/compressed/etc. as a 720p 60fps .mov file to play on Final Cut.  I have not seen an export compression in CS3 that will allow me to do this.  Can CS5 do it?

Thanks for your input.

Tom

• 3. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 and DVCPro HD
              RchrdG Level 1

it depends on if youre using a mac with final cut installed or a mac without it or a windows pc. dvcprohd and prores422 are great codecs but you can only output files in those formats if you have fcp installed on your system. cs3 can export to any codec quicktime supports. the avid dnxhd codec works well on both platforms but a quicktime jpg codec works well also. neither of those formats playback in realtime in final cut though. in cs5 you can export an xml file that allows the entire edit to be brought into final cut. it doesnt support every filter or effect but it gets the job done for most edits.

• 4. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 and DVCPro HD
                sipey Level 1

We are using a PC for our CS3.  Your information was great!  Thx so much.  So is the DVDPROHD codec for quicktime native Mac?

• 5. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 and DVCPro HD
                  RchrdG Level 1

its a codec that comes with final cut pro. you cant output to it unless youre doing so on a mac with fcp or you can pay for a plugin from a third party vendor. id suggest using the avid dnxhd codec or quicktime jpg codec for a cross platform workflow. blackmagic also makes a cross platform codec for quicktime but i havent tried it.