4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2011 8:30 PM by Chas0702

PE 8 burns DVD, but not Blu-ray disc

El GUER0

I have recently updated to PE 8.01 but all of this took place before the  update. I successfully burned a 1 hour HD Blu-ray with no problem (all video from Canon HF200 and pictures from Canon Rebel xti). I then tried to burn a different project that was 2 1/2 hours long. In this disc, I did include a short AVI file from a camera (maybe this is why??). I had to cut video out because it kept telling me I didn't have enough room on the blu ray, even though my total was under the 25 gig storage capacity of the blu-ray disc. Each time I cut video/pictures it shut the program down and I had to restart the program about 6 times. I finally chose to compress to fit and it failed to burn to a blu-ray and blue screened our computer after 14 hours of enocoding and burning. Then I tried to compress it to a DVD and it burned successfully in 6 hours. I thought it might burn to blu-ray so I tried again and it blue screened our computer after 6 hours (it was 75% complete).

Computer is a HP Pavilion Elite. Intel I-9 processor, 12 gigs RAM, it has two 1 Terabyte hardrives, and has GPU invidia. I bought this computer ONLY to render HD to blu-ray DVD. It seems to take a long time and then blue screens my computer. Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: PE 8 burns DVD, but not Blu-ray disc
          nealeh Level 5

The OS and drivers on a new PC are always out-of-date because the system master will have been created well before its sale. So do some of the basics first:

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: PE 8 burns DVD, but not Blu-ray disc
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You say you have two hard drives?

Is the second drive an internal or external drive? (I assume your video project is on your second drive.)

Have you ensured that your second drive is seet up as NTFS? As I indicate in my books, drives come from the factory set up as FAT32, which has a file size limitation that often chokes video editing.

• 3. Re: PE 8 burns DVD, but not Blu-ray disc
              the_wine_snob Level 9

While all of Neale's suggestions should be followed (they are all excellent), I would first do #4 - the updating of the burner's firmware. You can get these updates from the mfgr's. Web site. Be very sure to follow the instructions to the letter. They differ from make to make and even model to model. Check carefully.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: PE 8 burns DVD, but not Blu-ray disc
                Chas0702

Hello:

I am having the same issues with Blu-ray.  The error I receive states to go to drive mfgr. and update firmware.  This I have done and still am not able to burn to Blu-ray.  I just recently built this machine and used Plextor ODD PX-B940SA and PX-B320SA. The task I was trying to complete was a full backup of my photos.    If you have any further suggestions I would really like to hear from you.  Thanks in advance.

Chas