7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 16, 2010 5:20 PM by A.T. Romano

How to set up user account in Windows 7/Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1?

A.T. Romano Level 7

At the present time I have only the Windows XP Professional SP3 32 bit operating system which works from a User Account with Adminstrative Privileges when it comes to using Premiere Elements.

I have read that in Windows 7, the default user account is one with standard rights. My first question is, when using Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 in general in a Windows 7 32 or 64 bit environment, do you have to elevate the user account to one with adminstrative rights and, if so, how?

My second question is, is there anything in the Windows 7 user account setup that would specifically target the Premiere Elements Project Archiver/Archiver "Trimmed" as well as Copy options to abort with the message "no user privileges to perform this operation"? The rest of the program performs OK. Supposedly inadequate hard drive space is not a factor.

Thanks for any insights into these two questions.

ATR

• 1. Re: How to set up user account in Windows 7/Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Don't know the specifics, Tony, but I have not trouble running Premiere Elements 8 on Windows 7 32-bit and I've never heard of people having issues related to account privileges.

• 2. Re: How to set up user account in Windows 7/Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

SG

Thanks for the prompt reply.

From what I have read, the default in Windows 7 is the user account with standard rights. I just got finished reading a Microsoft article on Windows 7 in which it promotes the user account with standard rights but does go into elevation to administrative rights when appropriate...still trying to take it all in.

Would you have time to do me a favor with regard to my question 2? I will assume that your Windows 7 is set up with the user account with standard rights and that your Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 is running fine. Could you put a few clips on the Timeline and then archive that project via File Menu/Project Archiver/Archiver "Trimmed" option and let me know if the operation goes to completion or if it aborts with the message "no user priviledges to perform this operation"?

Recently the Premiere Elements Project Archiver "Trimmed" has come under attack because of what it does to DV AVI Type 1 that get put on the Timeline and archived via the Trimmed option. Does not involve the Copy option. That is a whole other story, but a serious one that impacts versions 4, 7, and 8....who knows version 9? In contrast, my question related to Windows 7 and the permission message involves both the Trimmed option and the Copied option. I am wondering if this latter case is an isolated instance or another undocumented case of glitches in the Project Archiver feature of Premiere Elements.

Thanks for your help.

ATR

• 3. Re: How to set up user account in Windows 7/Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1?
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Ah... I have PrProCS5, not PreEl, but I run Win7 Pro 64bit

It has been several months since I installed (fresh, to a new hard drive in a new computer) so I don't remember details, but I installed as Admin and everything runs as Admin... my computer, so my choice

To read more about installing Win7 you might want to search at http://search.microsoft.com/search.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US

• 4. Re: How to set up user account in Windows 7/Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

John T Smith

Thanks for your help. I will follow up on the link that you provided.

I had been reading "Inside Windows 7 User Account Control" by Mark Russinovich

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/2009.07.uac.aspx

And I was curious about how the Windows 7 default user account with its standard rights would fare with use of Premiere Elements whose use in Windows XP required user account with administrative priviledges. A close second was my concern about reports of Windows 7 permission issues which targeted exclusively the Premiere Elements Project Archiver.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: How to set up user account in Windows 7/Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

SG

Just an update to the question that I presented when I started this thread.

You really never did say what type of a User Account you are using in your Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 on Windows 7? But based on the information provided by several users, User Account with Administrative Rights seems to be the way to go since all of them were using it and had systems that were running well. I would have expected that based on the Premiere Elements Windows XP requirements. I have yet to have someone come forward to say that they are using Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 on Windows 7 with a User Account with Standard Rights and the program is running well. Will you be that one?

Besides me switching from Windows XP to Windows 7 in the near future, what motivated this line of questioning was the report that I had seen of a user with Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1on Windows 7 who was reporting "permission" error messages when trying to archive a project with the Project Archiver (Archiver "Trimmed" and Copy options). Further questioning brought out that the problem extended to the AutoSave feature as well. The user claimed to be saving to an external hard drive (formatted NTFS) with about 800 MB free space. And still further questioning brought out that the error message included a free space and/or permissions error. Yes, there were extremely large file sizes involved here (way over 4 GB)

The story had a happy ending where the remedies were:

1. User Account with Administrative Rights

and the major

2. Formatting the thought to be NTFS external hard drive from FAT32 to NTFS.

ATR

• 6. Re: How to set up user account in Windows 7/Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1?
                    Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

In all honesty, Tony, when people start talking about user profiles and administrative privileges, I'm completely lost.

I just turn on my computer to my Steve account and it works. Must be serendipity!

• 7. Re: How to set up user account in Windows 7/Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

SG

It was a tough day, and your response made me smile.

I will have to read up on Premiere Elements serendipity.

ATR