14 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2010 4:29 PM by Todd_Kopriva

Opacity issues in CS5

bjeffries111

Would anyone know why my opacity only works when it wants to when putting clips together in premiere?

Here is an example of what I am doing: I am creating 4 key frames in the beginning of a clip which slightly overlaps the end of another clip. Those key frames are set to 0, 50%,50%,100%.

Being that the first key frame that I set was put to zero, my clip entire opacity gets set to zero and none of my other 3 key frames do anything, but if you click on the key frame they do read the value that I set them too.

now this only happens sometimes becuase this same exact process works in other places throughout the video.

What I have done to try to resolve this:

1)Regular reinstall using windows uninstaller

2)Uninstall using Revo Uninstaller, which also cleared my registry files.

3)regular Uninstall using windows + Clean Script CS5

4)Revo Uninstaller on a safe setting + Clean Script CS5

5)Revo Uninstaller on a regular setting + Clean Script CS5

I still have this same issue...

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Brian

• 1. Re: Opacity issues in CS5
          shooternz Level 6

Sorry but I dont understand much of your post... but I will take the opportunity to have another rant about Opacity in PPRO in case it enlightens you.

For reasons that no one can ever explain to my satisfaction... OPACITY automatically sets a Key frame as soon as you touch it (or even breathe on it).  It does not matter where in the clip,  your CTI is...it sets a keyframe at that point  (automatically). Unlike other fixed Effects!

You may have done this inadvertantly somewhere (and not realised the dumb illogical behaviour of this  function).

Key framing protocol generally is you set the first one manually  and the subsequent ones are automatically set.

Its a trap that bites me a lot because Opacity is also part of the fantastic Blend Modes.  When one has a little "creative play".. the damned Opacity is set AUTOMATICALLY all through the clip!

It doesnt work this way in AEFX as a good example.   (If its such a good idea. in PPRO .why not in AEFX ? -  and arguably a more profesional app.)

(Dont ask me to Feature Request this.  I have done so previously and the lack of response and how the thing  DOESNT work... is a major irritant to me.)

• 2. Re: Opacity issues in CS5
            Bill Engeler Level 2

Just a shot in the dark, but have you used any time mapping on the problem clips? If you have, then the opacity keyframes won't work as they should.

If that's not the source of the problem, please give some more information about the project, the type of clip, etc.

• 3. Re: Opacity issues in CS5
              bjeffries111 Level 1

Yes I do use time remapping, in about 90% of my clips and only about 10% of the original 90% that have times remapping have this keyframe issue. The rest work fine.

And as for how I am using the opcaity, I am not an idiot and know how to use the opcacity feature. Whether or not I use the key frame then adjust the opacity or just adjust the opacity and let premiere create the keyframe for me, It still gets stuck on the first opcaity chage.What I mean by this my very first opacity change in one video clip is 0% and my second one is 100%. hole clip looks black even though my second opacity keyframe is set to 100%.

Now this only happens to about 10% of the 90% that have time remmaping on them.

• 4. Re: Opacity issues in CS5
                Canave

I also have problems with transparency in Premiere CS5.
                I found that if you select "Mercury Playback Engine Software Only" in Project Setting,

Video Rendering and Playback, the transparency of .psd, titles, etc works fine again.
                Seems to be a bug in the Mercury GPU Acceleration.

• 5. Re: Opacity issues in CS5
                  bjeffries111 Level 1

I don't even have the ability to change that setting. But I understand what you are saying, I did have a title in an older video that was not showing transparent, and one not showing at all.

But would changing that setting effect an individual clip in the timeline?

• 6. Re: Opacity issues in CS5
                    Canave Level 1

No, changing that setting (Mercury GPU) affect the entire timeline.

• 7. Re: Opacity issues in CS5
                      bjeffries111 Level 1

Well I have the deafualt value set for the GPU settings and I still have this problem with the opacity... Id this something I will just have to try to work around or is there a way I get this fixed?

• 8. Re: Opacity issues in CS5
                        bjeffries111 Level 1

any one have any suggestions on fixing this?

• 10. Re: Opacity issues in CS5
                          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Because of the way that Pr handles opacity (which is very different than After Effects - different programs, different design goals, etc.), the opacity animation stopwatch is on by default.  Without that, all sorts of other bugs appear that are more serious than the inconvenience caused by the stopwatch being turned on by default.  I don't have the list of those bugs readily available, but at least one was a show-stopper IIRC.

-Jeff

• 11. Re: Opacity issues in CS5
                            shooternz Level 6

Well I would really like to see that list.  Especially the showstopper.

Hopefully someone will offer it up.  (then I might shut up about it)

• 12. Re: Opacity issues in CS5
                              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

The Premiere Pro CS5 (5.0.3) update fixes some issues regarding dissolves/transitions processed by CUDA not behaving properly when Opacity keyframes were present. Let us  know how things  work after you've installed the update.

• 13. Re: Opacity issues in CS5
                                shooternz Level 6

Hey Todd

mano a mano...

Do you have a comment on what Jeff says relating to my issues with OPACITY k.fs?

Because of the way that Pr handles opacity (which is very different than After Effects - different programs, different design goals, etc.), the opacity animation stopwatch is on by default.  Without that, all sorts of other bugs appear that are more serious than the inconvenience caused by the stopwatch being turned on by default.  I don't have the list of those bugs readily available, but at least one was a show-stopper IIRC.

-Jeff

I promise I will drop it if you confirm that the "inconvenience" is less "serious than the bugs".

Craig

"Did I see an elephant in the room?...

...nah...cant have!

Message was edited by: shooternz...being cheeky.

• 14. Re: Opacity issues in CS5
                                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> Do you have a comment on what Jeff says relating to my issues with OPACITY k.fs?

I'm going to plead the Fifth. (For those of you not familiar with the U.S. Bill of Rights, this means that I'm going to shut my mouth.)

Seriously, though, it's good for us to get feedback about usability issues. We need to know what's tripping you up.