4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2010 8:07 PM by Todd_Kopriva

Crashes At Startup!

qp Eddie D qp

During the initializing type engine on start up, I now get After Effects error: Crash in progress. Last logged message was: <960> <AppDirs> <5> Required Dir=        C:\ProgramFiles\Adobe\Adobe After Effects CS4\Support Files\Required.

After clicking ok, I again get After Effects can't continue: sorry, After Effects has crashed.  See http://www.adobe.com/support/products/aftereffects.html for known issues. If you still can't resolve the issue, please contact Adobe Technical Support (2).

(0::42)

I'm beginning to think that it isn't worth spending $1000 for this software.  I've been trying to installed this for few days now and starting to get aggrevated.

• 1. Re: Crashes At Startup!
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Your own fault most likely. If it crashes when initializing the type engine, this in 90% of cases means that you simply have some crappy font that is messing up things, e.g. a real bad free font or a legacy PostScript font. Remove any unnecessary fonts from your system and try this again. For the rest, read this and this.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Crashes At Startup!
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

It seems very odd to me that your post exactly matches a post from a year ago:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2276876

But, that said, it may be that one of the solutions proposed on that thread will help you. Let us know if you try those solutions and how they work. I'd begin with the solution proposed in thelast post on that thread: running as administrator and seeing if that clears the issue.

• 3. Re: Crashes At Startup!
              qp Eddie D qp Level 1

How would I be able to change the fonts.

Yes, I googled my problem and that came up..  I found no solution in that threa because the guy that had my problem fixed it without telling how he did it.  I'm not sure if I can run as administrator because I am the only account on this computer.

Edit:  Since this computer was my dads and I use it all the time and he gave it to me, I don't know the password that he used.  Is there some way to change or find the password?  Like in CMD?

• 4. Re: Crashes At Startup!
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> Edit:  Since this computer was my dads and I use it all the time and he gave it to me, I don't know the password that he used.  Is there some way to change or find the password?  Like in CMD?

You'll have to ask him that.