Exit

How to print A3 spread in 2x A4

Explorer ,
Aug 12, 2010 Aug 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello guys,

i have a problem.

for our users i am making lowres pdf files of our magazine and want to put it online so they can read and print it.
it must be a spread so you don't miss the half of the big landscape picture.

the problem is if i want to print this spread on a A4 paper it doesn't want to. I can print the half of the page or re size it to print the hole A3 scaled to a a4.
is there any way to export the pdf file with indesign cs3 as a landscape A3 and still be able to print it in 2x A4? so i can keep page 4 and 5 separated.

thank u.
TOPICS
How to , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guru , Aug 12, 2010 Aug 12, 2010

In our defence you never said anything about needing to combine files first!  Usually I'd 'combine' them in Indesign, by just placing any other PDFs you wanted with the exported documents in Indesign, so when you exported it was a one step process to get the finished file.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Export the PDF to single pages, i.e., don't select spreads

Then in Acrobat go to File>Properties (or File>Document Properties)

Go to the Layout tab and choose Two Up Facing

Save the PDF and reopen it. It should open up with the pages facing each other so you can still admire the layout - but you will also have the option to print the pages separately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Theer's only one way that I can think of and it relies on you having Acrobat.  Export as single pages, then in Acrobat alter the document properties; File > Properties > Initial View > Page Layout to Two-up, there's a variety of options, you probably won't want continuous but it will depend on your format as to whether you choose cover or not. I always like to change the Magnification to Fit Page as well.  That setting will override the view settings of a users version of Reader or Acrobat and show it 2 up, but I'm not sure about the web, you'll have to try and see.  And the PDF itself will still be A4 pages so will print correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks guys, it worked.

perfect.

the only thing you forget was the combine files thing.

in acrobat pro choose file/combine file. then chose the other pdf files then face it up and save it.

its printing now spread and fine.

thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In our defence you never said anything about needing to combine files first!  Usually I'd 'combine' them in Indesign, by just placing any other PDFs you wanted with the exported documents in Indesign, so when you exported it was a one step process to get the finished file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes first i was making page by page pdf files and then combining then in 1 file witch is not necessary.

i understand now just make the hole thing in 1 pdf file and just change the setting in acrobat pro. thas it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 22, 2014 Jul 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can use one of the specialized programs for printing in different sizes. For example, I use this program

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines