8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2010 2:16 PM by Dave LaRonde

AVCHD After Effects  CS5 Help

okwow11

so i have After Effects cs5 full version. i have this avchd 10 sec long clip when i play it back its lose alot of quality.

it also very choppy and will not play in fps real time.when i render this 10sec long video its come out to be 700mb

and the video also  very choppy and skips alot

• 2. Re: AVCHD After Effects  CS5 Help
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

>  i have this avchd 10 sec long clip when i play it back its lose alot of quality.

When you play it back how? RAM preview in After Effects?

> when i render this 10sec long video its come out to be 700mb

and the video also  very choppy and skips alot

See this FAQ entry:

"FAQ: Why does my output file not play smoothly, and why is my output file huge?"

Also, please provide more detail when you're asking questions. Tell us exactly what you are doing, click by click. And tell us details of your operating system, what media player you're using, and so on.

Finally, I recommend that anyone beginning with After Effects start here:

http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/01/getting-started-with-after-eff.html

• 3. Re: AVCHD After Effects  CS5 Help
            okwow11 Level 1

thanks Mylenium the ram preview runing better not as choppy but the video still looks very bad  Todd yes when i play it in ram preview it looks like that  i did look at the FAQ you posted but i dont think i understand  but i do know i want to upload this video to youtube with the best quality possible. im runing windows7 64bit i have a AMD Phenom II X4 Quad-Core Processor 3.2GHZ, Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5  graphic card,4GB RAM, not sure about harddrive

• 4. Re: AVCHD After Effects  CS5 Help
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

If this is 1080 video I'll bet it's interlaced, and you should follow the Interpret Footage link Mylenium posted above.

You are also woefully short on RAM in AE terms, so you can't use multiprocessing.  Turn it off.  You won't get very long RAM Previews, either.

If you made a high-quality file, your disk drive probably can't keep up with the file's bit rate.  To reassure yourself everything's okay, put that file into Adobe Media Encoder and make an H.264 file, which ought to play back smoothly.

• 5. Re: AVCHD After Effects  CS5 Help
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

You say that the video looks bad, but we don't have much information to go on. If you post some screenshots, it will help.

• 6. Re: AVCHD After Effects  CS5 Help
                  Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Agree with Todd. just saying that something looks bad is not really helping. you could be viewing at an odd zoom ratio and then the footage itself would be perfectly fine, just the realtime scaling in the comp viewer would make it look odd... Several otehr things like that could also influence the perceived quality like field interpretation or comp resolution settings...

Mylenium

• 7. Re: AVCHD After Effects  CS5 Help
                    okwow11 Level 1

how much ram do i need what kind of disk drive i need i dont think disk drive   the problem? is useing encoder  first the only way to to go about this rendering problem ? Todd let me ask this i have the raw video and it looks good its hd and everthing when i play the same video in AE  how is it post to look?what i mean is it post to look like the raw video in hd?  thanks for the help you guys here a pic

http://img97.imageshack.us/i/444pr.png/

• 8. Re: AVCHD After Effects  CS5 Help
                      Dave LaRonde Level 6

In my experience, if you ask such a battery of questions, three things are usually true: you're new to AE, you think you can learn one or two tricks to get you by, and you think AE can be mastered easily and intuitively.

You are mistaken.  You have to learn the basics of AE.  You have to walk before you can run.  So what do you do?

Fortunately, Adobe's own Todd Kopriva -- the guy who literally wrote the book on using AE -- has thoughtfully compiled a list of resources to help you learn the ins and outs of this marvelous but complex application:

http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/01/getting-started-with-after-eff.html

I heartily recommend that you spend a good deal of time looking everything over.

Now, to answer some of those questions:

how much ram do i need

I wouldn't run AE 10 with anything less than 12 GB

what kind of disk drive i need i dont think disk drive   the problem?

If you don't have at least two drives, one for the OS and applications and another for user files, you need another drive.  It won't solve your bitrate problem, but it will avert disaster down the road.

is useing encoder  first the only way to to go about this rendering problem ?

It's not a rendering problem -- your drive simply can't keep up with the high bitrate of a high-quality file.  If you want your video quality to go in the toilet, you are certainly free to render in whatever codec you choose.  But for now, double-check your stuff by using Adobe Media Encoder, okay?

i have the raw video and it looks good its hd and everthing when i play the same video in AE  how is it post to look?what i mean is it post to look like the raw video in hd?

I'll assume the phrase "post to look" can be translated into everyday English as "supposed to look".  Yes, it ought to look the same.  But remember that AVCHD is an acquisition codec ONLY.  The video has be bejeezus compressed out of it as the camera records.  It's extremely lossy. It's a one-way trip -- you NEVER want to go back to AVCHD.  If you re-render to AVCHD -- if it can even be done -- it will look just god-awful.

But I think your problem lies in that you shot 1080 video and you didn't interpret the field order properly, so it doesn't look right.  Which brings me back to my original point: learn the basics.