3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2010 1:48 PM by MurraySummers

Web host

iconofsin14 Level 1

I have a prospective client who has lost contact with her old web designer and does not know who her host is

how can you find out who hosts a site?
      and once this is done what information are they likely to want before they relase the hosting account log in details to a person in this situation?

I have been in this situation before and i called a different hosting provider who willingly told me over the phone. however i do not want to rely on getting some random hosting company to do this because you usually need to convince them that the enquiry is for the perpose of moving the site to them.

also could tracert (from command prompt) reveal who the host is?

• 1. Re: Web host
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

how can you find out who hosts a site?

A simple reverse DNS search based on the global IP... Google is your friend (or whoever is responsible as the appointed registry in your region of the world).

and once this is done what information are they likely to want before they relase the hosting account log in details to a person in this situation?

Probably the original owners contract credentials...

I have been in this situation before and i called a different hosting provider who willingly told me over the phone.

Cannot have been a good one, then... *yikes*

also could tracert (from command prompt) reveal who the host is?

All you need is one fixed IP associated with the domain. Who owns the IP, hosts the domain....

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Web host
            iconofsin14 Level 1

"A simple reverse DNS search based on the global IP... Google is your friend (or whoever is responsible as the appointed registry in your region of the world)."

how do i find out the ip of the site
            and what if it is not hosted in my part of the world

can you recomend sites for obtaining the sites IP and then doing the DNS search

• 3. Re: Web host
              MurraySummers Level 8

At a DOS or Terminal prompt, "ping example.com" will give you the IP address (assuming you are connected to the internet).

and what if it is not hosted in my part of the world

Doesn't matter.