6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2007 5:02 AM by margin_walker

allowing a website to expand and shrink with a browser

margin_walker
      I am working on a website and wanted to know how to let a logo with butts right up to the left side of the screen but can also shrink and strectch with the browser so it will always start and end at the bottom and top of the browser.
        • 1. Re: allowing a website to expand and shrink with a browser
          Level 7
          I cannot make sense of your question. Images should not be stretched. Please
          explain clearly what you are trying to accomplish. A page to look at would
          be nice.

--

Walt

"margin_walker" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:f8o872$ckv$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          >I am working on a website and wanted to know how to let a logo with butts
          >right
          > up to the left side of the screen but can also shrink and strectch with
          > the
          > browser so it will always start and end at the bottom and top of the
          > browser.
          >

• 2. Re: allowing a website to expand and shrink with a browser
            zagods Level 1
            You want the logo to stretch across the whole browser? Sounds like something you'd do in Flash, but not recommended.
            • 3. Re: allowing a website to expand and shrink with a browser
              margin_walker Level 1
              this is the site so far http://www.trinity3marketing.com/

i would like the left icon to stretch to the bottom but also adapt to the window size i guess is what i wanted to say. my boss is very adamant about that,
              • 4. Re: allowing a website to expand and shrink with a browser
                Level 7
                Ask your boss, "How high is up?"

The notion that all the space on a page has to be filled is a hallmark of a
                rookie designer, whether on paper or screen. Your boss needs to hire someone
                with professional web design skills and then follow what he or she suggests.
                A boss who dictates things he or she has no knowledge of or experience in is
                going to end up with a disaster. The page you have created so far is doomed
                to failure. 20 layers?

(Please show this message to your boss & suggest he or she log on here and
                learn the realities of web design.)

--

Walt

"margin_walker" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                news:f8or9s$4hn$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > this is the site so far http://www.trinity3marketing.com/
                >
                > i would like the left icon to stretch to the bottom but also adapt to the
                > window size i guess is what i wanted to say. my boss is very adamant about
                > that,
                >

• 5. Re: allowing a website to expand and shrink with a browser
                  Tazmun
                  I see what your boss is looking for and what his concept thought is here but think it to be a really tall order. It's not that hard to make divs do this, but to make the graphic respond as well, I have no idea. Backgrounds can be made to repeat on the one axis only, but repeating is not going to help you here. I really don't know how you would even do this in flash. Maybe some sort of advanced flash or javascript that can detect the open window size and change frame size at that same time? But it would seem that it would have all sorts of other implications on the page even if you manage to do it.

What about a another div with a background of the icon your using inverted. It would be sure to go far enough down to fill the page on any monitor as big as it is. Although it wouldn't go to the point. I would try to talk my boss out of this idea if at all possible.
                  • 6. Re: allowing a website to expand and shrink with a browser
                    margin_walker Level 1
                    I totally agree, i've never used dreamweaver until two weeks ago, and i learned all my web design in go live, but my degree is in graphic design, i prefer print.