2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2010 5:14 PM by Steve Liles

Advantages of upgrading from CS4 to CS5?

mpab02 Level 1

I am currently using Premiere CS4. My sources are an AVCHD Sanyo camcorder and an "AVCHD Lite" Panasonic FZ38. My computer is a Q6600 with 4 GB RAM and an ATI Radeon HD 3780 running Windows 7, 32 bits.

Because I make plain DVDs I used the Adobe Media Converter to batch convert all the files into a more usable resolution, because trying to natively edit the files was skippy and tiresome, not to mention the thousands of times AP-CS4 and Encore-CS4 have crashed after hours of encoding my videos when edited at native resolution.

My PC won't take any advantage of the GPU processing because it's NVidia only and I don't like them. In order to install Adobe Premiere CS5 I'd have to do a full reinstall, upping my W7/32 to W7/64.

I'd like to know if there are advantages worth the change. For now, all the blah I read over the new Mercury engine has to do with the GPU optimization.

Thanks for your help.

• 1. Re: Advantages of upgrading from CS4 to CS5?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Look here and notice where the CS5 machines are, even when marked MPE off, PPBM4 Benchmark

The drawback of your current system and the material you use is that you almost have to get a new much more powerful system, irrespective of a possible upgrade to CS5. So a fresh install will be required anyway. Might as well go to 64 bit in one step.

• 2. Re: Advantages of upgrading from CS4 to CS5?
            Steve Liles

Just my opinion but I wasn't a million miles away from your system when I decided to take the plunge and upgrade earlyish to CS5. I did my upgrade with a simultaneous upgrade of Windows XP to Windows 7 64, Graphics Card from NVidia 8800 GTX to NVidia GTX 285 and 4Gb RAM to 8Gb RAM. The main difference for me is the GPU accelleration (albeit you will still have a major problem with this until apparently the next release as there is a bug which means cross disolves on a split clip won't play - this is so annoying it's untrue but apparently a fix is due but AVCHD editors are tearing their hair out on this, I've practically had to stop editing on PPro) and I often use 2 layers of AVCHD and there is no problems with playback now although render times are still very long. Apart from the above mentioned bug there is a vast improvement with being able to play the timeline but as Harm has indicated, you will need to upgrade your spec and your graphics card to achieve this. I wouldn't upgrade to CS5 without the other system changes in my opinion as CS4 was coping adequately and probably as well as CS5 will.