6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2010 11:05 AM by PaulieDC

CUDA boards!

Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Here is an nVidia page that I went to from a new Adobe email announcement.  Notice the fine print at the bottom, and no GTX 400's

nVidia.png.

• 1. Re: CUDA boards!
          Harm Millaard Level 7

No surprise, since this page is all about the new Quadros and is incomplete to start with. It even misses the Quadro CX, which is certified.

Call this incomplete and inaccurate information on the side of nVidia.

• 2. Re: CUDA boards!
            PaulieDC Level 2

Hey Harm, I'm thinking of upgarding my GTX285 to a 480. Have my eye on the EVGA 015-P3-1482-AR. Do the 480s work with the MPE? I know there's a hack going around but I haven't paid attention to it being I have a 285.

• 3. Re: CUDA boards!
              Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

In my personal testing of the two I found no current diference between the two in the PPBM5 testing.  That does not mean that there might be some advantage in the unmeasurable usage like playback, and it does not mean that Adobe might in the one of the next releases be able to make the 480 or the new Quadro's perform better.

• 4. Re: CUDA boards!
                PaulieDC Level 2

Thanks Bill. I just looked at the spec sheets between the two cards and the only real difference is the GDDR5 1.5GB vs DDR3 1GB memory, and the 3800mHz Memory Clock vs 2500mHz. The rest of the specs aren't THAT big of a gap to justify an extra $200 out of pocket after selling the 285. SO, I'll hold off for now, the 285 works and works well. Thanks!

• 5. Re: CUDA boards!
                  ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

The 480GTX has double the Cuda Cores and more ram bandwidth. Both of which will make a huge difference once more effects are added to the MPE engine. Right now Adobe just is not really pushing the cards so your not seeing a large performance increase. There is some right now but its really only showing in the timeline render for preview and realtime playback. The 470GTX is definitely the ideal card at the moment especially with the recent price drop. Either card however supports DirectX 11 which is something you do want so I would recommend making the move soon.

Eric

ADK

• 6. Re: CUDA boards!
                    PaulieDC Level 2

Ohhhhhhhhhhh, OK, that makes more sense. The specs didn't seem to have a huge gap which I thought was odd, but I now realize that the spec sheets didn't list cores for some weird reason!

I think I will make that move now, because eventually the used prices for the 285s will severely drop now that it has been discontinued. Fortunately there is still a demand thanks to our gamer friends who didn't move quick enough in finishing their SLI setup, and will need that second or third 285.

470 is a winner, huh? Sounds good to me, and is a much more reachable price.

Last night I finally installed my second WD RE3 drive installed and got the RAID0 set going, for storing all my assets, and already I'm seeing a big difference. So going with your 470 suggestion should wrap this up nicely. Thanks for your input!

Paulie

PS: YES, I diligently backup my asset drive, I know RAID0 is speed, not redundancy!