14 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2010 6:14 PM by the_wine_snob

Play, FF, RW and pause buttons don't work

S&L_Jacob

Hello,

I was editing today, and accidentally deleted one of my video files that was part of my project.  I re-recorded the video, and inserted it back into the timeline, and now the preview playback buttons don't work.  Full screen preview doesn't work either.  I've tried opening another project, and everything works fine.  Is there any way to re-build the project without losing hours of work?

Thanks,

Shama

• 1. Re: Play, FF, RW and pause buttons don't work
          the_wine_snob Level 9

The first thing that I would do would be to Restore Workspace (Window>Restore Workspace), and see if things come back.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Play, FF, RW and pause buttons don't work
            S&L_Jacob Level 1

I just tried restoring the workplace, and it didn't seem to help.  The strange thing is, that I can still edit, move around, save the project, etc, but the play button won't work.

• 3. Re: Play, FF, RW and pause buttons don't work
              the_wine_snob Level 9

I was hoping for some little glitch in the GUI, but guessed wrong.

OK, let's go back a bit. Can you tell us about the file, that seems to be at the center of this problem? How did you get it back into the Project - an Import, or a Capture? What is the Project's Preset?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Play, FF, RW and pause buttons don't work
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Can we also confirm that your specs are up to snuff?

How fast is your processor, how much RAM do you have and how much free, defragmented space is left on your hard drive?

Something that used to work but suddenly doesn't usually means that you've either run out of resources or something is out of date on your system.

What operating system do you have? Have you gone to Windows Update to ensure you have even the non-critical updates (particularly hardware drivers) and do you have the latest version of Quicktime from Apple?

With the massive number of patches Microsoft issued this week, it could well be something out of date throwing things out of balance.

• 5. Re: Play, FF, RW and pause buttons don't work
                  S&L_Jacob Level 1

OK - Here's the deal.  My project is just short of 2 hours long. - about 65 GB of standard def video. The file I accidentally deleted was about half an hour long - about 6 GB.  I created a new temporary project to re-capture the video from my miniDV tapes.  I then re-opened my main project, and replaced the missing file with the old one, by means of the window that you get when there's missing data from your project.  The file wasn't quite perfectly sized to fill all th gaps, so I deleted the section from the timeline, and started again on that half-hour.  Now I have everything set and lined up in the project - the new file is clipped to the same size in the timeline, and the play buttons don't work.  My project preset is standard DV widescreen 16:9 - 30fps.

The specs on my machine are as follows: AMD Quad-Core 9850 @ 2.63Ghz with 2GB of dual channel ram. I have a separate 160GB hard disk for my video files which has 25GB of free space. I am running WinXP Professional, and I do have up-to-date drivers from Microsoft Update.  Yesterday I updated QuickTime to see if that would help - to no avail.

Still puzzled, and hoping for a little help - .

Thank you,

Shama

• 6. Re: Play, FF, RW and pause buttons don't work
                    S&L_Jacob Level 1

I forgot to mention too, that every time I close PreElements 8 when I have the project open, it will save fine, but then the program closes, and I get the crash report window.

• 7. Re: Play, FF, RW and pause buttons don't work
                      Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Aside from the fact that you have an unusually large project that may be taxing your system (powerful as it is), I have no idea why you're having this problem.

If you open a new project and add just a couple of clips to it, do you have the same issue?

If the problem is unique to your epic project, then you know the problem is that you've just overwhelmed your resources.

• 8. Re: Play, FF, RW and pause buttons don't work
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

That 25GB of free space is troublesome to me.

What is the exact I/O sub-system structure, i.e. all of your HDD's, their size, speed, amount of freespace, controller type, and how are these allocated?

An example would be:

All SATA II 7200 RPM internals

C:\ OS, programs and Page File - 500GB w/ 250GB free

D:\ Projects and Scratch Disks - 500GB w/ 100GB free

E:\ Media Assets - 500GB w/ 60GB free

That might tell the tale.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - when you get an error on Exit, what is the exact wording? That could also point us to the problem.

• 9. Re: Play, FF, RW and pause buttons don't work
                          S&L_Jacob Level 1

Hello, and thanks for your help so far.

Steve - When I open another project, and add a couple clips to it, everything works fine.  Everything also worked fine on

my large project (I've done several large projects without any issues) until I deleted that video file - not very smart .

Bill - the file system is as follows

All SATA Western Digital Caviar WD16 5400 RPM

C:\ - OS, Programs, PF - 160GB w/ 101GB free

D:\ - Projects, Media, Assets and Scratch Disks - 160GB w/ 25GB free

I've included all but the binary image set of the crash report.  Perhaps too, looking at the hard disks I have, I could swing some of the media to C:\, and relieve D:\ a little???

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<!DOCTYPE crashreport SYSTEM "AdobeCrashReporter.dtd">

<crashreport version="1.1" crVersion="3.0.20090804" applicationName="Adobe Premiere Elements" applicationVersion="8. 0. 1. 0" build="unknown">

<time year="2010" month="8" day="13" hour="16" minute="17" second="34"/>

<user guid="f42f2ab3-acd6-4821-bbb4-2bd32ba4c918"/>

<system platform="windows" osversion="5.1.2600 SP 3.0" applicationlanguage="Language Neutral" userlanguage="en_US" oslanguage="en_CA" ram="2046" machine="AMD Phenom(tm) 9850 Quad-Core Processor" model="x86 Family 16 Model 2 Stepping 3" cpuCount="4" cpuFreq="2625 MHz" busFreq="" locale="English (Canada)"/>

<crash exception="EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION" instruction="0x07e2cacc">

<backtrace crashedThread="0">

<thread index="0">

<stackStatement index="0" address="0x07e2cacc" symbolname="unknown"/>

</thread>

</backtrace>

<registerSet>

<register name="EAX" value="0x0dedeef4"/>

<register name="EBX" value="0x07e62258"/>

<register name="ECX" value="0x00000000"/>

<register name="EDX" value="0x0dedeef4"/>

<register name="ESI" value="0x0e3f1518"/>

<register name="EDI" value="0x00000000"/>

<register name="ESP" value="0x07e62260"/>

<register name="EBP" value="0x0e43fc08"/>

<register name="EIP" value="0x00000000"/>

<register name="EFL" value="0x00010202"/>

</registerSet>

Thanks, Shama

• 10. Re: Play, FF, RW and pause buttons don't work
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

I would definitely try first cleaning off some of your D:\ and then defragmenting it.

The 5400 RPM HDD's are not going to be the best for smooth playback, as 7200 RPM is required. Still, that should not affect the actual playback, and only the smoothness of it.

That Access Violation might indicate that there is a memory address problem. Sometimes, other programs will either mis-report their used memory addresses to the OS, or will tell the OS that they are releasing some addresses, but do not do so.

This ARTICLE might offer some useful tips for setting up your computer for an editing session, especially is some program/Process is getting in the way.

Also, with an Access Denied, it could be that something is hooking a necessary file. This ARTICLE talks about one possibility. Active AnitVirus and spy-sweepers can do this too.

Please let us know if a bit more HDD real estate and a defragmenting operation help.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Play, FF, RW and pause buttons don't work
                              S&L_Jacob Level 1

Thanks, Hunt for your help - I appreciate it a lot.  I never have liked Windows Indexing, so I have had that off for some time.  I like the little utility you mentioned in another post - EndItAll2 - and I'll start using it.  I don't have any more SATA ports that I can use on my PC, because I also have 2 SATA DVD drives for coping the DVD's I make (I do a lot of weddings and things for friends, family and the local school), so I'll start by doing a little transferring.

Thanks again, and best regards,

Shama

• 12. Re: Play, FF, RW and pause buttons don't work
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

I hope that has a positive effect.

I really like the idea of the two DVD burners, and equip all my workstations with two, of different brands, just to get closer to 100% compatibility with all DVD's. It also makes Copying much easier. Mine are all EIDE, as I filled up every SATA port with HDD's. Next machine will probably also have an additional SATA controller for even more HDD's, and maybe SATA DVD/BD burners by then too.

Good luck, and hope that making room and defragging will help.

Hunt

• 13. Re: Play, FF, RW and pause buttons don't work
                                  S&L_Jacob Level 1

Well - I finally got it figured out - Thank God!  I found an article by ATR describing how to copy clips from one project to another using ClipMate - what a lifesaver!  I copied all the clips except the "offending" parts, and it plays fine now.  All I have to do now is re-do the part with the deleted clip - about half an hour of the final.

Many thanks for your help, and regards to all,

Shama

• 14. Re: Play, FF, RW and pause buttons don't work
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR is great, and offers tons of excellent advice. I always appreciate his contributions.

Glad that ClipMate and a new Project has worked for you. I still do not know what is causing the problem with your original Project.

Good luck,

Hunt