13 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2010 7:15 PM by the_wine_snob

Adding title to movie - Premiere elements 8

missamr Level 1

Hi

i am trying to add a title to a movie i am creating.  however i want the title to be just black with white writing but when i add a title it applies to the first clip and its not its own separate "scene".  Yes i am new to elements and movie making and need all the help i can get.  Can someone please help?

Thanks

Amanda

• 1. Re: Adding title to movie - Premiere elements 8
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Amanda,

If you want the "background" to be black, and not Transparent, then you need to first create a Shape, in the size and location needed, and set its color to black. When done, add your text, in a contrasting color.

If you just do the plain Title, it will create a Transparent background (though it appears as black in Titler), and that is what you have, but not what you want.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Adding title to movie - Premiere elements 8
            missamr Level 1

my hero... thanks so much!!

how do i slow the clip down?

• 3. Re: Adding title to movie - Premiere elements 8
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Now, one little "tip," though you did not ask for this - if you also wanted to add a Stroke to that Shape, just choose a Style (from the Style Library) that has a Stroke, and then modify that to suit.

I assumed that you wanted ONLY a black Shape, but this can come in handy later on.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Adding title to movie - Premiere elements 8
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What are you trying to slow down? The roll of a rolling title or the playback speed of a clip?

If you're brand new to the program, have a look at my free Basic Training with Premiere Elements tutorials at Premiere Elements support site http://Muvipix.com. And, of course, if you want more details, you might want to look into my books, available on Amazon and at the Muvipix book store.

All of your questions are answered inside!

• 5. Re: Adding title to movie - Premiere elements 8
                  missamr Level 1

the playback speed of the whole movie...

i have premiere elements 8 for dummies and that is helping.

• 6. Re: Adding title to movie - Premiere elements 8
                    Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You should check out my books! Not only are they more thorough than the Dummies books, but you have the author right here to ask questions of!!

To change the speed of your movie, right-click on a clip on your timeline and select Time Stretch. You can then it to play at whatever percentage speed you'd like.

• 7. Re: Adding title to movie - Premiere elements 8
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

And, should you desire, that is where you would Reverse Speed too. If you apply the Time Stretch, be sure that you Render that Clip, as there will be new Frames, removed Frames or Frame order. There will be a red line that appears above these Clips, and you can just use the WAB (Work Area Bar) to just that Clip and hit Enter to Render for smoothest playback.

I know that you did not ask about Reverse Speed, but while we were on that page...

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Adding title to movie - Premiere elements 8
                        missamr Level 1

Thank you all so much.  Helping soooo much

I have another question...   I have added all of my clips to the timeline/sceneline but when i play it to review what i have done its all jerky n terrible but when i view the individual clip it looks fine.

What can i do to fix this?

Thanks

• 9. Re: Adding title to movie - Premiere elements 8
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

In the Timeline View Mode, do you have red lines above the Clips? If so, hit Enter to Render your Timeline for the best, smoothest possible playback.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Adding title to movie - Premiere elements 8
                            missamr Level 1

ahhh... wow..

now i feel silly.  I was wondering what those lines were for.  pfft... explains a lot.

thanks again.

• 11. Re: Adding title to movie - Premiere elements 8
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

There are basically three possible lines in PrE, and one more in PrPro. No line means that the material perfectly matches the Project Preset and has not been altered in any way. Often, that perfectly matching footage will also have a green line. A red line means that either the footage is not a perfect match, or has been altered, say by the addition of some to overlay it, like a Title, or that perhaps an Effect has been added. A green line means that the footage has been Rendered, and that playback will now be as smooth, as is possible, as an AVI of that footage will actually be used in playback. One Renders by hitting Enter. One can limit the Rendering to a particular area of the Timeline, by using the WAB (Work Area Bar). In PrPro CS5, there is a yellow line, that means something does not quite match, but that with the MPE (Mercury Playback Engine) can still play it smoothly. PrE does not yet have a "yellow line."

Now, Rendering is just for smoothest playback. A red line, especially if you have added Effects, Transitions, Titles, PiP, etc., is not "bad." It just means that playback could be smoother with a Render. I finish many fairly complex Projects with tons of red lines, and never bother to Render, because playback is smooth enough for me. However, I have some Projects, where I might Render one section dozens of time, especially if I am Keyframing Effects, and NEED to see that area as smoothly, as is possible. It just depends. Also, a Timeline, with all red lines, will Export just fine - Rendering is just for playback. It is your choice. Rendering does take time (one reason to use the WAB to limit what gets Rendered, and does create rather large files, used just for playback. Those aspects must be considered. Also, Render files can be safely removed, as if one needs them again, hitting Enter again. It is not necessary to Save these if one is archiving the Project.

Hope that helps,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Adding title to movie - Premiere elements 8
                                missamr Level 1

Ok. I get it now.  Once you render the clip can u edit it after?  Im slowly getting it but that makes it more clear.

• 13. Re: Adding title to movie - Premiere elements 8
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes. The Render file is just for playback. Now, do not confuse Render with Export. Some programs mix those two, totally separate operations up a bit. In Adobe NLE's, Render is the creation of a playback AVI and nothing more. [Well, in PrPro, one CAN use Render files in certain Export formats, but I am speaking in generalities here.]

Good luck,

Hunt