8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2010 8:12 AM by keestevens

problem downloading pdf's from Adobe site

keestevens Level 1

Hello:

First of all, thank you very much for your time and help in troubleshooting this issue. The issue is as follows: I downloaded Acrobat Reader 9 and it is successfully installed in my applications folder on my Mac. I am trying to download some pdf's from Adobe's Visual Design curriculum. Every time I attempt to click on these links, I get a redirect to install Acrobat Reader 9. It is already installed. I should be able to directly view the pdf but I keep getting this window to download Acrobat 9. I am not sure why I cannot access these documents. I did successfully read one but I haven't been able to read the other five that I tried. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions on how I can troubleshoot this issue, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks for your support.

• 1. Re: problem downloading pdf's from Adobe site
          pwillener Level 8

There has been no "Acrobat Reader" since version 5.  Please clarify if you mean "Adobe Reader 9" or "Acrobat 9" (you mention both in your post).

• 2. Re: problem downloading pdf's from Adobe site
            keestevens Level 1

Sorry for the confusion. The program is Adobe Acrobat Reader 9. I hope this clarifies things and I would appreciate any tips that you may have to troubleshoot this issue. Thanks again.

• 3. Re: problem downloading pdf's from Adobe site
              pwillener Level 8

Sorry, I am still confused - there is no "Adobe Acrobat Reader 9"; it is either "Adobe Reader 9" or "Adobe Acrobat 9".  Can you give me that redirect URL?

• 4. Re: problem downloading pdf's from Adobe site
                keestevens Level 1

Sorry. I apologize. I thought I was answering your question clearly. I double checked my applications folder and it is Adobe Reader 9 not Acrobat. Here is a link that goes to the redirect on my computer: http://www.adobe.com/education/instruction/teach/openpdfs/vdcg_p1_student_guides.pdf

I'm not sure if it will work for you but it is not reading for me. I'd appreciate any thoughts that you might have on the matter. Thanks so much for your help!

• 5. Re: problem downloading pdf's from Adobe site
                  pwillener Level 8

Thank you for the link - I understand now where the confusion is coming from.  When opening your link I get

Acrobat.png

it is that pop-up message itself that creates the confusion - it points to the Acrobat page, not the Adobe Reader page!

In my case I have Adobe Reader 8.2 installed; that is probably why I get the pop-up.

You write that you have Adobe Reader 9 installed - have you tried to install the latest Adobe Reader 9.3.3?  Or, if you already have that version, do you still get the pop-up?

Either way, it seems I can see the document just fine, even with my "old" Reader version.

• 6. Re: problem downloading pdf's from Adobe site
                    drex44420

I also had problems with Adobe Reader 933 on my Mac. I found this info (below).

I deleted and re-installed the Adobe PDF Viewer plugin several

times...eventually something connected. Reader now works, even with the Adobe

plugin installed.

I don't know why or how, but that's OK with me.

...hope this helps,

Don

Configuring Acrobat to display PDF files in Safari

Drag the Acrobat application folder from the CD (or disk image) to the

Applications folder to install Acrobat. The first time you start Acrobat you

will be prompted to accept the end user licence agreement (EULA) and register

Acrobat. After you accept the EULA, Acrobat runs a Self-healing procedure which

checks for any Acrobat components that need to be installed in other

applications. The self-healing process installs the Adobe PDFViewer plug-in

file. The AdobePDFViewer.plugin file is the main file used by Acrobat to view

PDF files in the Safari browser on Mac OS X is the Adobe PDFViewer.plugin; this

file is installed in the Library/Internet Plug-Ins folder.

If you updated or reinstalled your copy of Safari in order to view PDF files,

then do the following:

1. Completely remove the old version of Safari.

2. Install the latest version of Safari.

3. Remove the Adobe PDFViewer.plugin from the Library/Internet Plug-Ins folder.

4. In Acrobat run Help > Detect And Repair and choose Adobe PDFViewer.

The first time you start Acrobat or Adobe Reader 8 on Mac OS X, it will

automatically install itself as the default PDF viewer for Safari. In order to

turn this off, start Acrobat or Adobe Reader, go to Preferences > Internet and

uncheck the "Display PDF in Browser" option. This will cause the PDF to display

inside the Safari window using its native PDF viewer.

Known issues

The following issues have been noted:

• When you upgrade from Adobe Reader or Acrobat from 7 to 8 on a Mactel

machine, PDF files no longer show in the Safari window. Instead a large Acrobat

or Adobe Reader icon displays in the middle of the Safari window. This is caused

by running Safari under Rosetta; Acrobat and Adobe Reader 8 will not show PDF

files in Safari run under Rosetta, whereas Acrobat and Adobe Reader 7 shows PDFs

in Safari only under Rosetta. To work around this, you have to turn off Rosetta

for Safari, or start Acrobat or Acrobat Reader and go to Preferences > Internet

and turn off Display PDF In Browser; PDF files will be viewed in Safari using

the Mac OS X native PDF viewing engine after this.

• When you upgrade Adobe Reader or Acrobat from 7 to 8, PDF files no longer

show in other non-Safari browser windows. Instead a large Acrobat or Reader icon

displays in the middle of the browser window. This is because the PDF viewing is

not supported for any WebKit-based applications other than Safari. Work around

this by starting Acrobat or Adobe Reader, and choosing Preferences > Internet

and turning off Display PDF In Browser.

Self-healing

If the AdobePDFViewer files are deleted, then they will be self-healed after you

start Acrobat again after the files were deleted. You can also fix Safari

manually by choosing Help > Repair Acrobat Installation.

• 7. Re: problem downloading pdf's from Adobe site
                      keestevens Level 1

Don:

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a detailed explanation of how I can fix this glitch with Adobe Reader.  I will try and follow your guidelines. Thanks again for your time and for all the wonderful information that you provided. I appreciate it and have a wonderful day!

• 8. Re: problem downloading pdf's from Adobe site
                        keestevens Level 1

Don:

I just wanted to let you know that I followed your guidelines and everything is working now. Thanks so much for your insight and for pointing me in the right direction. I appreciate it and have a good one! -K