13 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2010 6:30 PM by the_wine_snob

Fonts in my CS5 Suite is like an Asian Restaurant menu...

shooternz Level 6

I love Asian food but....I dont need the Asian FONTS

I can not get or understand why CS5  (PPRO, Photoshop) continues to display Fonts that I have specifically told Win7 Font Manager not to display

There is a Control Panel > Fonts> Setting that "Hides Fonts" that do not correspond to ones Language Setting. (in my case English)

The Font window shows that the Asian Fonts are Hidden.

...but not to my CS5 apps.

I still get fonts and all their variations cluttering my Font Menus in the CS5 Adobe apps... like :

Batang

Dotum

Gulim

Gunsuh

Sim Sun

MingLiu

Meiro

Kokika

Aparajita

...would you like noodles or rice with that sir?

I have extensively and succesfully  deleted many Asian fonts from the system. but the above,  and more, refuse to delete because allegedly they are Adobe or  System Fonts.  The samples even display in respective Asian characters. (Japanese, Korean, Thai etc..)

Font Navigator (Bit Stream) indicates I have only 82 installed fonts in my system.  These are the fonts of my choice and is about right. They do not include the Asian fonts

Why does the CS5 Suite show me the Asian Fonts?

How do I clean them out?

What does Font xml do in the Adobe folder?

Summary:

1.The listed Asian Fonts show as hidden in Win 7 Font Management

2. They do not appear in Font Navigator as installed. I can probably find them in the system if I run the "Catalogue" function though.

3.They show up in Adobe app Font select menus.

• 1. Re: Fonts in my CS5 Suite is like an Asian Restaurant menu...
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Craig,

I first noticed the plethora of Asian fonts in PS and Illustrator at about CS. They fill the whole bottom of my Character screen drop-down, and cannot be removed - or could not then. After a few weeks of trying everything I could think of, or find on the Internet, I just gave up, and accepted that they would all be there in my Adobe programs.

At least they fall into an area at the bottom of that drop-down.

Good luck, and hope that someone will come up with a "plan," as I would still like to remove those, and keep my Adobe programs from loading them.

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Fonts in my CS5 Suite is like an Asian Restaurant menu...
            Harm Millaard Level 7

Craig,

If you change the permissions to the font directory from Trusted Installer to Administrator with full access, and propagate down those rights into subdirectories, you can delete most of these fonts. I tried it and only a few remain. I'll have a look at how to remove the rest of this crap.

13-8-2010 21-23-24.jpg

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Fonts in my CS5 Suite is like an Asian Restaurant menu...
              shooternz Level 6

Thanx Harm and Bill

At least I know that my issue is confirmed by others systems and  I am not alone in this gripe.

Harm. I have tried to change administrator rights to the Fonts that I have left.  It will not allow me to do so.

Is there any value in looking at the "font xml" file in the Adobe folders.

Obviously something instructs CS5 to load these fonts.  I also note as did Bill that PS loads them in a certain mammer whereby the Asian Fonts are defined by a 'Separator'.  

Also be nice if someone from Adobe chimed in on this please.  I am not calling it a bug but certainly a programming glitch.

• 4. Re: Fonts in my CS5 Suite is like an Asian Restaurant menu...
                Colin Brougham Level 6

I have none of the Windows foreign language fonts, nor any of the Adobe foreign language fonts. Really. Don't believe me?

no-junk-fonts.png

Craig, you posted about this issue before, and I replied with a link to a script that purges all the crap fonts you'd never use. It's a simple script called 2manyfonts; works a treat.

• 5. Re: Fonts in my CS5 Suite is like an Asian Restaurant menu...
                  shooternz Level 6

So Colin...can you verify that the fonts shown in your Win Font Mangement window (per screen grab) are exactly what shows up in

the CS5 apps mentioned.

Did you have all the asian fonts prior  to using the script?

I recall taking a look at the batch script and considering that it was kind of outside my league.

But...If it does rid me of the Asian Fonts... I am now prepared to try it no matter what the consequence.

Still remains the issue...why is CS5 displaying Hidden Fonts. ie Ignoring the O.S instructions to hide the Fonts outside of the set language as well as the ones that have been customised as Hide.

Edit:

Just tried the script on my home machine and it works fine.   Note - Instructions should add - Restart System after running the BAT

Thanx Colin... wil ltry it on the CS5 system after the weekend with a degree of confidence

• 6. Re: Fonts in my CS5 Suite is like an Asian Restaurant menu...
                    Colin Brougham Level 6

Craig,

That's correct; what's in the Win7 Fonts control panel is what I see in CS5 apps:

fonts-in-cs5.png

This is Photoshop, but Premiere Pro's titler is the same. I had all the annoying foreign language fonts before the script, and now they're gone. I've run the script on both of my edit boxen, and on my field machine, and haven't encountered any problems for having done so. I'll second your recommendation to restart after running the script; fonts display a little weird in the control panel until you do so. Other than that, it pruned a signicant number of typeface "choices" that I'd never choose.

I can't guarantee it'll work for you or for everyone, as I had nothing to do with the script, but I've been cruising along for a couple months now with the lighter font load.

• 7. Re: Fonts in my CS5 Suite is like an Asian Restaurant menu...
                      shooternz Level 6

Confirming that the "2manyfonts"  script does sort the issue as regards Adobe apps.  (Thanx Colin)

(Note: PS and PPRO do manage fonts differently and I have some displayed in one that do not show in the other.)  Whatever..I have a lighter load of installed fonts. eg less than 100

Now ...What font mangement apps can anyone suggest / recommend please.

I currently have Font Navigator ( Bitstream) but suspect its a bit long in the tooth.

I am intending to keep and manage a Font resource in my system.  ie fonts I will want to search ,view and install  only as required for a task.

Any tips.

Cheers

Craig

• 8. Re: Fonts in my CS5 Suite is like an Asian Restaurant menu...
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

I really like Extensis Suitcase.

Unfortunately, the best font manager, that I have ever used, FontMinder, was acquired by Adobe, and killed as a product, in favor of advancing their ATM. Now, ATM is all but history. "Stuff" happens in the software business. I miss FontMinder greatly, but Suitcase does a very good job.

Good luck, and thanks for reporting your success with Colin's recommended script file.

Hunt

• 9. Re: Fonts in my CS5 Suite is like an Asian Restaurant menu...
                          shooternz Level 6

Thanx Bill

I am taking a look at Extensis and another app called "MainType" which from the screen shots ...looks great and works with all types of "type".

Will trial this first.

• 10. Re: Fonts in my CS5 Suite is like an Asian Restaurant menu...
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Craig,

I do not know MainType, but please report what you do go with. Though I have used various Extensis products over the years, I am not married to anything, and can be talked into changing for a better product.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Fonts in my CS5 Suite is like an Asian Restaurant menu...
                              shooternz Level 6

My first impression is... I really like it.

(and I do trust first impressions).

Here you go

http://www.high-logic.com/maintype.html

Craig

• 12. Re: Fonts in my CS5 Suite is like an Asian Restaurant menu...
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Looks like a fair price. Cannot recall what I paid for Suitcase now, as it was a few years back. Only bought one license for the workstation, and left the laptop alone.

Their Font Creator looks good too. I spent easily that much for a competitive product that does not seem so easy to use.

Should have let you do my research!

Good luck, and keep the reports coming in,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Fonts in my CS5 Suite is like an Asian Restaurant menu...
                                  shooternz Level 6

Second impression... its perfect.

I now have it set up so I can see my Font Resource (Folder) with one click and my installed fonts with another.

Its a breeze to move fonts in and out of the system and the Previewing of any Font, any character or a sample is superb.

This is my kind of app.

I will leave it to you to compare with Extensis Suitcase.   My search is over.