6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2007 1:18 PM by Alan Musselman

DreamWeaver Fireworks Integration

wsewall Level 1
      I'm running a licensed version of DreamWeaver 8.0 under Vista. I downloaded a trial version of Fireworks today and the installation appeared to run smoothly (Fireworks comes up on my screen with no error messages). However, when I go to DreamWeaver and select Commands>Create Web Photo Album, I get an error message saying I need to have Fireworks installed on my machine to run that function. I have tried rebooting to see if that will reset things, but nothing seems to work.

Why can't Dreamweaver recognize the trail version of Fireworks?
        • 1. Re: DreamWeaver Fireworks Integration
          Level 7
          wsewall wrote:
          > I'm running a licensed version of DreamWeaver 8.0 under Vista. I downloaded a
          > trail version of Fireworks today and the installation appeared to be smoothly
          > (Fireworks comes up on my screen with no error messages). However, when I go to
          > DreamWeaver and select Commands>Create Web Photo Album, I get an error message
          > saying I need to have Fireworks installed on my machine to run that function. I
          > have tried rebooting to see if that will reset things, but nothing seems to
          > work.
          >
          > Why can't Dreamweaver recognize the trail version of Fireworks?
          >

Probably because the trial version of FW is FW CS3 and your licensed
          version of DW is version 8, not CS3

--
          Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
          Extending Knowledge, Daily
          http://www.communityMX.com/
          CommunityMX - Free Resources:
          http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
          ---
          .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
          news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.fireworks
          news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver
          • 2. Re: DreamWeaver Fireworks Integration
            wsewall Level 1
            Thanks, you're probably right. So a simple enhancement to my applications just turned into a $500 investment in software. Adobe is basically freezing out the non-professional with these pricing structures.
            • 3. Re: DreamWeaver Fireworks Integration
              Level 7
              wsewall wrote:
              > Thanks, you're probably right. So a simple enhancement to my applications just
              > turned into a $500 investment in software. Adobe is basically freezing out the
              > non-professional with these pricing structures.
              >

Personally, I have always found that slideshow extension clunky, and
              it's failed on me more than once. Why not give the new slide show
              command a try in FW? That might work even better for you an you can
              easily port that over to DW 8.

--
              Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
              Extending Knowledge, Daily
              http://www.communityMX.com/
              CommunityMX - Free Resources:
              http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
              ---
              .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
              news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.fireworks
              news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver
              • 4. DreamWeaver Fireworks Integration
                Level 1
                wsewall -

Just so you know you can access the Fw CS3 slideshow creator in Commands > Create Slideshow

We built a Dreamweaver Album style slideshow that uses Flash player to mimic the look and feel yet the slideshow uses a very simple XML file to update the slideshow, not HTML tables. Maybe that might be a nice alternative for you.
                • 5. Re: DreamWeaver Fireworks Integration
                  maryhowe
                  Did you look in the DW preferences to see what version of FW it's looking for? Mine remained FW 8, which had been uninstalled. I changed it to FW CS3 in the preferences, in the Fireworks dialog box and in the box below for each filetype. Now it works.
                  • 6. Re: DreamWeaver Fireworks Integration
                    Level 1
                    Thanks maryhowe - I forgot about that. :)