9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2007 7:21 AM by Newsgroup_User

Dreamweaver CS3 Mac -- PowerPC vs Intel

Tom_Wallace Level 1
      I have Dreamweaver CS3 running on a dual 1.8 Power Mac G5 with 1.5 gigs of RAM, and I think it's a dog. It's so much slower at everything than DW8 that I find it impractical for daily use—especially for managing a remote site via FTP. It seems to work much faster and reliably for my colleagues on Windows XP on newish PCs, however, I'm wondering if what I need is a new Intel Mac. If anyone is running Dreamweaver CS3 on a MacBook Pro or Mac Pro system, I would like to know your impressions.
        • 1. Re: Dreamweaver CS3 Mac -- PowerPC vs Intel
          Level 7
          "Tom Wallace" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:f8nmsd$l8e$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          >I have Dreamweaver CS3 running on a dual 1.8 Power Mac with 1.5 gigs of
          >RAM,
          > and I think it's a dog. It's so much slower at everything than DW8 that I
          > find
          > it impractical for daily use?especially for managing a remote site via
          > FTP. It
          > seems to work much faster and reliably for my colleagues on Windows XP on
          > newish PCs, however, I'm wondering if what I need is a new Intel Mac. If
          > anyone
          > is running Dreamweaver CS3 on a MacBook Pro or Mac Pro system, I would
          > like to
          > know your impressions.

I just received a brand new MacBook Pro with 2 gigs. I'm running CS3 Mac and
          Win (with Parallels) I don't like the Mac UI and stuff, but I must say that
          I'm very impressed with the performance. I've it hooked to a 20" monitor and
          now I barely use my Desktop PC which is a Core2 Quad/2.4Gz/4Gigs/64 bits (to
          tell you how good is the MacBook Pro).
          I just can't stand the keyboard though...

--
          Thierry
          Articles and Tutorials: http://www.TJKDesign.com/go/?0
          --
          http://www.divahtml.com/products/scripts_dreamweaver_extensions.php
          - Add "you are here" highlighting to virtually any menu
          - FAQ pages made easy

• 2. Re: Dreamweaver CS3 Mac -- PowerPC vs Intel
            yuci119 Level 1
            I use Dreamweaver CS3 on my MacBook Pro which is a 2.33 Ghz intel core2 duo 2Gb 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM. It's really slow under the Designer View mode. Every step I do will follow a mac color circle wheel that turns about 2~3 seconds.....T_T

• 3. Re: Dreamweaver CS3 Mac -- PowerPC vs Intel
              timminehan Level 1
              I have just upgraded to CS3 from mx2004. I use a MacBook Pro 2.16GHz 2Gb Ram and it is a DOG of a program.

MX2004 is quicker and more stable even using rosetta! It constantly hangs "Application Not Responding" with the spinning ball of death (the CPU goes up to 50%). But that's OK because if you do something else on the computer and come back to DW, it will have sorted itself out - until the next time!

The menus are slow to respond to the mouse so I am always clicking on the wrong thing. The pages render with faint dotted lines across them even though nothing exist there.

But for some cool Spry extras, I am really having a hard time persevering with CS3 and always go back to MX 2004... or worse still boot up the PC partition and really get the job done! (I love my Mac and detest advising using the PC to run DW!!)

Good Luck!
              • 4. Re: Dreamweaver CS3 Mac -- PowerPC vs Intel
                Tom_Wallace Level 1
                Timminehan and yuci119, it is discouraging to read that it works no better on your new Intel Macs than on my 3-year-old G5 system. I never thought I would say this about Dreamweaver 8, but it is a speed demon compared to Dreamweaver 9. I would like to get to know the Spry framework better, but DW9 fails me so abysmally on the most basic aspects of the program, the GUI and file transfers, that I can't be productive with it.

I've been using Dreamweaver on the Mac since version 2, and this is the first version that was simply unusable for me. Even running Dreamweaver 4 in the Classic environment was better than this.
                • 5. Re: Dreamweaver CS3 Mac -- PowerPC vs Intel
                  cmahan Level 1
                  I'm running CS3 on a mac mini intel duo 1.66 ghz with 2 gigs of ram -- not the best hardware for high end apps but it ran my mx version fine even under rosetta and I am a light user here at work. I find it very dog like as well, scrolling is a pain, I get the beach ball of death a lot etc. Hoping Adobe will come out with a fix soon, I feel I've wasted my money on this upgrade.
                  • 6. Re: Dreamweaver CS3 Mac -- PowerPC vs Intel
                    Level 7
                    >>I have Dreamweaver CS3 running on a dual 1.8 Power Mac with 1.5 gigs of
                    >>RAM,
                    >> and I think it's a dog. It's so much slower at everything than DW8 that I
                    >> find
                    >> it impractical for daily use?especially for managing a remote site via
                    >> FTP. It
                    >> seems to work much faster and reliably for my colleagues on Windows XP on
                    >> newish PCs, however, I'm wondering if what I need is a new Intel Mac. If
                    >> anyone
                    >> is running Dreamweaver CS3 on a MacBook Pro or Mac Pro system, I would
                    >> like to
                    >> know your impressions.
                    >
                    > I just received a brand new MacBook Pro with 2 gigs. I'm running CS3 Mac
                    > and Win (with Parallels) I don't like the Mac UI and stuff, but I must say
                    > that I'm very impressed with the performance.

I forgot to say that I don't use design view, so it may explain why I don't
                    experience what others say

--
                    Thierry
                    Articles and Tutorials: http://www.TJKDesign.com/go/?0
                    --
                    http://www.divahtml.com/products/scripts_dreamweaver_extensions.php
                    - Add "you are here" highlighting to virtually any menu
                    - FAQ pages made easy

• 7. Re: Dreamweaver CS3 Mac -- PowerPC vs Intel
                      zagods Level 1
                      At home, my intel 2.13 Macbook Pro with DW8 runs like a dog too. At work CS3 runs fine on our PC. Pretty much every Adobe application is slower and less responsive on the Mac, in my experience.
                      • 8. Re: Dreamweaver CS3 Mac -- PowerPC vs Intel
                        Tom_Wallace Level 1
                        Zadogs, have you compared running DW8 under Rosetta to running DW9 natively? I can't believe the performance claims in the Macworld review below, but maybe one needs a Mac Pro to run DW9.

http://www.macworld.com/2007/05/reviews/dreamweavercs3/index.php
                        • 9. Re: Dreamweaver CS3 Mac -- PowerPC vs Intel
                          Level 7
                          Just remember Adobe is an advertiser in MacWorld, so objective reviews
                          aren't necessarily possible.

"Tom Wallace" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                          news:f8qtt5$mqq$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                          > Zadogs, have you compared running DW8 under Rosetta to running DW9
                          > natively? I
                          > can't believe the performance claims in the Macworld review below, but
                          > maybe
                          > one needs a Mac Pro to run DW9.
                          >
                          > http://www.macworld.com/2007/05/reviews/dreamweavercs3/index.php
                          >