2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2010 9:55 PM by rockwellproductions

A few questions from a beginner

rockwellproductions

I am new to adobe after effects but I have taken the time to get familiar with the basics. I have a few questions pertaining to a project I am working on.

First, I am trying to isolate a certain region in my raw video and make it into it's own layer so that I can use it as my foreground. I have other assets that I am trying to make pass behind the fg and have it go out of view as expected. I used the rotobrush to highlight the feature, perhaps to cut/paste into a new layer but with no success but maybe I am going about it the wrong way. Also, after I highlighted the region and played my video back, only the highlighted region was visible the rest is black.

Second, I am trying to animate simple expressions and place them on inanimate objects to personify them. The animation does not need to be complex. I also need those animations to move seamlessly as the camera does. I am familiar with creating and manipulating tracks frame by frame. Still, I am not sure what the best way to accomplish that is.

Finally, this might be a bit more complex but I want to have those faces rotate around the object. For example a 2d face on a 3d cylinder and as the cylinder rotates so does the 2d face convincingly.

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: A few questions from a beginner
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> First, I am trying to isolate a certain region in my raw video and make
          it into it's own layer so that I can use it as my foreground. I have
          other assets that I am trying to make pass behind the fg and have it go
          out of view as expected. I used the rotobrush to highlight the feature,
          perhaps to cut/paste into a new layer but with no success but maybe I am
          going about it the wrong way. Also, after I highlighted the region and
          played my video back, only the highlighted region was visible the rest
          is black.

Don't think in terms of cutting and pasting.

Think in terms of laying one layer on top of another so that some layers show through others in the places that you make transparent. This is compositing.

For example:

Duplicate your layer. Use masks, the Roto Brush tool, or whatever other means to make part of the top layer transparent. Then you can put something else between the two layers and have it appear behind one object in the top layer but in front of the rest of the objects (in the background layer).

I'll leave your other two questions alone for now. You need to get comfortable with the basics of After Effects layers and transparency before you muddle with things like expressions and 3D cylinders. (You can do whatever you want, of course, but I'll limit my answer for now to the fundamentals.)

I recommend that you start here and work through all of the materials linked to:

http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/01/getting-started-with-after-eff.html

• 2. Re: A few questions from a beginner
            rockwellproductions Level 1

Thanks for the advice, I will check out those tutorials.