4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2010 11:43 AM by the_wine_snob

From DV to PS3

bbrault

I am interested in putting 20+ hours of miniDV tapes onto a hard drive to playback on a PS3.

I understand that unfortunatly the PS3 will not play back my DV files directly otherwise, I would leave the files as they are.

I am looking for an export format that will be of very high quality (I do not care about drive space) and that is widely accepted so years from now, it can still be played back on future generations of PC and media players and next gen XBox, PS4s...

Thanks for your Help.

• 1. Re: From DV to PS3
          nealeh Level 5

Aimersoft Video Converter Pro has a section for exporting to consoles. I don't know how good they are but you can download a trial version.

games.png

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: From DV to PS3
            the_wine_snob Level 9

The first consideration would be what formats the PS3 can read. Based on a THREAD in the PrPro forum, it seems to like H.264, but that user was having an Audio issue, specific to the PS3. Unfortunately, I do not know the PS3, so you will want to gather the specs. of accepted files from its manual. From that list, we can make recs. on which formats/CODEC's are the most universal. Guessing on the ability to play any, 5 years down the line, is just that - a guess. Formats/CODEC's come and go, and some come back, like MJPEG.A few do seem to have staying power, like DV-AVI Type II's, but if the PS3 cannot read/display those, then their use is moot. MPEG-2 will be around for some time, as it is the format/CODEC for DVD-Video.

Good luck, and let us know about the PS3's formats, thanks!

Hunt

Message was edited by: Bill Hunt - Added thread link to PrPro Forum

• 3. Re: From DV to PS3
              bbrault Level 1

Thank-You Bill

Below is what I found as far as PS3 media playback capability.

Since longevity is very important to me (as well as quality) I think that you have a good point about MPEG-2 as having the best longevity since it is the codec for DVD. I do not know about quality, but for standard definition, it may be just as good as H264 but with larger files. So far on all of my tests, I found the quality of the original DV to be better than anything else!

Let me know your recommendation.

Also, can you help specify the advance settings:

- CBR or VBR?

- 1 Pass or 2Pass (Probably nothing to loose on 2-pass) except for time and processing

- Other advanced settings???

note that I have Premiere Elements 7.

=======

PS3 Playback specs

• Memory Stick Video Format
            • - MPEG-4 SP (AAC LC)
            • - H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile (AAC LC)
            • - MPEG-2 TS(H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, AAC LC)
            • MP4 file format
            • - H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile (AAC LC)
            • MPEG-1 (MPEG Audio Layer 2)
            • MPEG-2 PS (MPEG2 Audio Layer 2, AAC LC, AC3(Dolby Digital), LPCM)
            • MPEG-2 TS(MPEG2 Audio Layer 2, AC3(Dolby Digital), AAC LC)
            • MPEG-2 TS(H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, AAC LC)
            • AVI
            • - Motion JPEG (Linear PCM)
            • - Motion JPEG (μ-Law)
            • AVCHD (.m2ts / .mts)
            • DivX
            • WMV
            • - VC-1(WMA Standard V2)
              • 4. Re: From DV to PS3
                the_wine_snob Level 9

The CBR (Constant Bit-Rate) will usually be a 1-pass process, using the settings that you have chosen. Note: the max Bit-Rate for a DVD includes the combined Bit-Rate of both the Audio & Video. In PrE, that is about equal to the 8 Quality setting. VBR (Variable Bit-Rate) will be a 2-pass process in most authoring programs (up to about 10 in heavy-duty commercial encoders), and the program will look at the footage to try and determine where there is motion (either camera or subject) and will use a higher Bit-Rate there. Where one has static images, the Bit-Rate will be lowered, to allow room for the sections with higher motion. This takes more time, but can be very helpful with higher-motion sequences. The encoder will still work within the DVD-specs. for Bit-Rate, or within the limits imposed by the person doing the encoding. The default for PrE is 2-pass.

In Hollywood, with their encoders, many passes are done, to squeeze the ultimate quality out of the footage, will cost >$10,000 and be run by experts, who do nothing else all day long, but encode video.

I do agree that MPEG-2 would probably be a good choice. It is not the ultimate for quality, but is a very good compromise of quality vs file size (and readability by many different types of equipment). As MPEG-2 BD is one of the allowable formats/CODEC's, I think that MPEG-2 DVD will stick around. BD has not made the rapid in-roads, that DVD did. Not THAT many commercial producers are working with it, due to the heavy restrictions that Sony has placed on the format. The cost has also kept many of the hobbyists from going that route. Only the Hollywood set can really afford to release in BD. Sony also still seems to determined to kill BD for anything but the Hollywood productions.

Though one can argue quality, I still think that HDDVD would have been a better choice for the masses, as Sony has an iron hand in BD. Still, on good equipment, a commercial BD looks very impressive.

Good luck,

Hunt