3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2010 10:49 AM by the_wine_snob

Import Premiere Pro CS3 Windows projects into Premiere Pro CS5 Mac.

tenorphoto Level 1

Hi there people. I hope you can help me. I have had premiere pro CS3 on my windows system for some years but now run a Mac with Master Collection CS5, my problem is that my existing prproj files on windows format do not open in CS5 Premiere Pro for Mac, I get a message telling me that I need to see the user guide for importing options, I have tried to do so, but there is no information about how to do this.

Can anyone here please tell me how to get around this, as I need to rework some of these old windows projects however my old windows system is totally dead now so I cannot open the files in the CS3 windows version either.

Please help, oh and spare me the useless windows vs. mac arguments.

I hope someone here can help

Thanks

• 1. Re: Import Premiere Pro CS3 Windows projects into Premiere Pro CS5 Mac.
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Since you are trying to Open a CS3 PC Project, you should not have THAT many issues in CS5 Mac. Have you tried both the Open and Import - similar but different operations? Have both methods failed?

One possible problem would be the Effects & Transitions used in the CS3 PC Project. Here is a LIST of the Transitions and Effects in CS4 for the PC, that are missing in the Mac version. I would assume that CS3 and CS5 would be similar. However, in similar cases, PrPro has thrown a more specific error message. I have only Opened Pr 6.5 Mac Projects into PrPro 2.0 PC, and these have been almost perfect. Where there were missing Transitions, I got a very explicit message, telling me what had been used that was missing from my program, and exactly where the problem existed (specific TimeCode). In my case, two Transitions just did not exist in my PrPro 2.0, and one was a 3rd party Transition, or Effect, and I did not have that. Still, the older Mac Projects Opened fine, and I just made note of where I would need to make changes. I would anticipate that similar would occur, if the Mac version did not have some Transition, or Effect, but do not know specifically. Still, based on the warning messages that I got, with such complete documentation, I'd expect similar.

Now another consideration - Assets. If there are Assets that you cannot work with on your Mac, say DV-AVI, or WMV, those would likely throw an error. Again, I would expect that error message to elaborate a bit more.

Do you know the details of your CS3 Projects and their Assets? Anything that you can think of there?

Just thinking here, and unfortunately, I have never gone the direction that you are going, and with the versions that you are working with, so something simple and glaring (to others) might just be slipping past me.

Good luck, and maybe others will have much better input on your issue. Also - welcome to the forum!

Hunt

• 2. Re: Import Premiere Pro CS3 Windows projects into Premiere Pro CS5 Mac.
            tenorphoto Level 1

Hi Thanks for the prompt input. I get teh same response whether I try ti import a cs3 windows project into CS5 Mac or just try to open the project. Tells me file created in a version of Premiere pro prior to CS3, and cannot be opened on a mac.

I guess the assets are also not suitable to mac as they are DV AVI files , but I have other projects with AVI files in htem which open and work but they were created more recently.

• 3. Re: Import Premiere Pro CS3 Windows projects into Premiere Pro CS5 Mac.
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              Tells me file created in a version of Premiere pro prior to CS3, and cannot be opened on a mac.

This is odd, as you say that you created the Project in CS3 on the PC.

Now, if PrPro 2.0, or earlier PrPro, there IS a problem, as PrPro was ONLY available on the PC during that time. CS3 was the first X-platform version of PrPro. If the Project was from PrPro 2.0, or earlier, the trick is to first Open (or Import) it on a CS3 PC, and do a Save. THAT Project file should then be able to be Opened in CS3, or later, on the Mac. That slightly convoluted workflow is the only way. We've seen several Mac users, who needed to Open PrPro 2.0 and earlier PrPro Projects, and had to find a PC-friend w/ at least CS3 installed. That person could also have CS4 for PC, so long as the Mac-user had CS4. Same for CS5, as there is no backward compatibility.

Are you sure that your original Project was from CS3 on the PC?

Good luck,

Hunt